Star Citizen Airship

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Lesni, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

Maybe I missed the memo...

Why does a game have a Star Citizen Airship?
    It is TOTALLY out of character for the time period.
    It is IMO ugly and does not fit in most / any of the scenes.

Is it only because of the link to Star Citizen game and there is a monetary or sharing program?

Every time I see one of these I think???
    The time line on the top of my screen says it is 500 something time period.
    Surely these were not around then.

FWIW

2. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

You are obviously wrong ;-)

But srsly: if you are looking for a fluff explanation why they are there i am affraid there is non. So far at least.

3. Bayard2

Bayard2 Avatar

Perhaps they are of Kobold origin and we haven't figured out how to make them fly yet. Maybe in the future (hint to devs).

And stop calling me Shirley (couldn't resist). :rolleyes:

Lesni likes this.
  4. Numa

Numa Avatar

1 Yes , the battle grey color is ugly and out of place. The airship style is also too modern for the era. Technologically though, it's still just an airship with cannons.

2. This isn't the first Star Citizen artifact that made it to SOTA. The Vanduul polearm is actually an alien weapon
    that became a pledge reward early on.

3. I think we can expect more crossovers since RG and CR are friends.

5. Leeford

Leeford Avatar

If you need a RP Lore explaination, imagine a highly advanced space traveling race making first contact with an Iron Age race of beings and teaching them things on how to improve their airships. Oh and they also dumped a bunch of confiscated Vanduul Polearms that were stinking up the cargo hold.

Numa likes this.
  6. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

There really is no way to say that, as this is a time period that has never existed... fwiw. Contrast the 1500s with the 1900s, and there is a definite possibility of an airship existing.

Numa likes this.
  7. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I agree with you on some points...

I genuinely dislike steam punk anything. When I played D&D I hated Spell Jammer (it has a lot of air ships and firearms as well as mashups of magic and technology) BLECH!

But there are people that really enjoy this genre, and it's a permanent fixture in our game under the backstory that throughout time travelers from other worlds have visited New Britannia (many from Earth but not all) and they've left or brought things with them (ideas, technology, culture) that have influenced this world. Ardoris is a mashup of Venice and Feudal Japan, for example. The Kobold's are techo-wizards that use a type of clockwork science. There are more I won't list here.

And in turn, all of these visitors often returned home and shared what they found in New Britannia with their civilizations. Which may be why there's so much cross over in the names and myths of many of the things going on in our little world. For example, just trying taking something as simple as the shattered moon Daedalus and looking that up for a moment. Richard has layered this world with all kinds of mixed and matched stories, for a purpose that we may never know. But it's there, it's by design.

The Star Citizen Air Ship, I agree, looks rather forced and although it's cool on some levels it's an eye sore in others. To each their own.

My advice is to try to seek out players that have similar values and find comfort with them. I have a POT where there will be no air ships, ever. I'm aware of other themed towns where that's certain to be the case as well.

Numa likes this.
  8. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

Those are the 500s of New Britannian time. It is unrelated to the 6th century of Earth time. Avatars bring various knowledge of technologies to New Britannia. It is not a straightforward medieval setting. It has elements of Steampunk. There are references in game to modern things. Hell, the Razer logo is incorporated in game and hangs in town on banners. Early on in the design, they posted ideas that sounded very much like guns, because that's what he called them. There were Richard's early ideas of using electricity to provide protected areas in game. Obviously those were very early ideas and they were met with some backlash so the team scaled back much of the non-traditional fantasy aspects and has gradually added them in over time.

That's not to say your opinion is incorrect. But saying it doesn't fit the time period when there is no specific time period on earth that the game is trying to replicate is missing the entire idea behind the Ultima series. Heck, some of the early Ultima games had space shuttles, phazers, etc. etc.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Numa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.