Questions on Graphics ? (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by twinturbonet, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

@wdboyd - Fair enough, though you did also say that "[e]ven if the gameplay is outstanding...second-rate graphics will prevent me from participating", so hopefully you can understand my confusion.

And anyway, define "second rate". There were two RPGs released in the last year or so -- Skyrim and Reckoning -- that both boasted large worlds to explore and comprehensive crafting systems. But even though Skyrim had better graphics in terms of raw detail and texture quality, Reckoning had vastly superior gameplay and combat, and I've found that I prefer to play it over Skyrim as a consequence...even though Reckoning's graphics aren't quite as good (even if they are way more colorful).

YMMV, but IMO, gameplay trumps a great deal, and less-than-bleeding-edge graphics paired with top-tier gameplay is preferable to a game that looks like a million bucks but plays like a stuck pig.

I do agree that "best of everything" is the ideal, and preferable...but it may not be practical. In which case, I hope Portalarium choose not to sacrifice gameplay for the sake of graphics.

2. Dungeonmaster74

Dungeonmaster74 Avatar

Ultra graphics make for nice eyecandy but not every gamer in the world has a top of the line pc which would exclude people that might be interested in buying and playing the game. Plus the SotA crew doesn't have some huge studio backing along with a 100million+ plus budget backing them.

3. OrionSnake

OrionSnake Avatar

I believe the game graphics/art style will get an overhaul as the project move along. They mentioned in the live stream that the programmers just put bits and pieces together to get a prototype going to show the game concepts.

4. Valandur

Valandur Avatar

Most pele don't ever see the tech demos of games that get released. If you can't understand when they say that what you see IS NOT what the finished product will look like then perhaps you can still get in that raid group in Wow. I'm sure you'll need that piece of armor to keep your gear score up

I mean come on, this is Lord British we're talking about here, not some noobs who coddled together a studio to churn out yet another Wow clone. I've got total faith that the finished game will use the latest graphics tech and be comparable to other games being released.

5. Dungeonmaster74

Dungeonmaster74 Avatar

@Val Good point this isn't going to be a 38 Studios style disaster.

6. twinturbonet

twinturbonet Avatar

Yea, I obviously don't need the graphics to be amazing either (I still play UO as well lol) but I will still like some kind of better graphics than what I saw (which I know is purely prototype) because it looks a lot like U9 mixed with WOW right now.

anyway, regardless of how the graphics improve, I'll still be pledging because Richard Garriott's games are the ****!

Hope the devs keep up the great work!

7. twinturbonet

twinturbonet Avatar

This game makes me want to reinstall U8 + U9 again.

8. Baer

Baer Avatar

I am fine with the prototype graphics. I expect they will be better when the game is finalized.
    Will the game be wide screen capable? For example I generally game at 5660 X 1200 (three 24" monitors) and many games allow for this.

9. wdboyd

wdboyd Avatar

Salutations,

I'm not against this game. A short time ago we at Star Citizen were introduced to Chris Taylor and his new crowd funding effore entitled Wildman. I checked it out and didn't like the "cartoon like" graphics. I didn't support it. Wildman failed to gain the required funding the drive was ultimately canceled.

Ultima has a long history and many fond memories among its players. Shroud will surely make it's rather low crowd funding goal as a result such loyalty. Fine, Im not against that but I still desire much better graphics that what I have seen, along with the series historical great gameplay.

10. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

Wildman had a neat aesthetic. I was sad to see it fail. Would've honestly preferred that game and its tools to a Torment sequel.

11. Montaigne

Montaigne Avatar

They did an amazing job by actually having a running demo of the game for us to see. Imagine the work involved in even getting to that stage. I was expecting a few screen shots and concept art. The graphics can only get better over the next few months.

12. AvengerDr

AvengerDr Avatar

If you want this game to have broader appeal then graphics have to be on par with at least the Rpgs released in the latest 2-3 years. Unfortunately in these two years both Skyrim and The Witcher 2 were released. TW2 couples excellent graphics with a great story.

Try playing TW2 in stereoscopy (with 3d glasses): it's something out of this world.

Anyway we'll wait and see, though in 18 months I reckon we can't expect miracles...

13. DamoclesXV

DamoclesXV Avatar

I don't believe Portalarium is really that worried with graphics...

"Graphic style is not the essential element of an Ultimate RPG."

http://sota.ultimacodex.com/2013/03/the-ultimate-rpg-ingredients/

14. Tovath

Tovath Avatar

Eye candy does draw people in though, and with great game play they will want to stick around.

15. wdboyd

wdboyd Avatar

I just became aware of a "kickstarter" game called "Legends Of Dawn" while reading another forum topic on this site.

I checked it out. Outstanding graphics! After reading about the gameplay I pledged for it. It has the graphics look I now desire and expect in an RPG. I can hardly wait to get this game.

On the other hand, I am still hesitant to pledge for Shroud. I most likely will before the end of the campaign but mostly out of respect for Lord British. I hope it will be a great game and I "ultimatly" want to help it come into being.

16. northernmagi

northernmagi Avatar

If you're going to ask for a AAA title sticker price, the graphics must be up to par.

Realistically I don't expect skyrim or even GW2 level graphics coming from a small outfit. Modern game worlds are too labor intensive to create. BUT I don't think it would be acceptable to release a game that can't compare to triple A titles of four years ago. I'd be happy with morrowind level graphics but most would not.

At this point i am more than a little worried.

17. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

It does look nice, although I note that the LoD Kickstarter page mentions that the game is in a fairly advanced state, so comparing its graphics to the few-months-in prototype graphics of SotAisnt quite an apples-to-apples thing.

Still...not bad as an end goal.

Different strokes; I'd play SotA even in its current state, so long as the gameplay and combat engine were solid. But graphics aren't a make-or-break thing for me, which is why. That isn't a position held by everyone.

18. Tovath

Tovath Avatar

I would love to see it be as visually pleasing as Guild Wars 2 or Beyond. I think that might be asking quite a lot though. However they can learn a lot from just how beautiful Guild Wars 2 looks in game to strive for. If I go into a city I don't want it to be some one level flat to the ground area. Go Epic! Make me feel like I am truly in a city of our fantasies!

Some truly beautiful cityscapes are what I want to see in the major cities, a thriving metropolis.

19. Valandur

Valandur Avatar

SOTA videos are from their tech demo. They don't reflect how the game will actually look.

Here's the Wiki description of a tech demo..

"A technology demonstration is a prototype, rough example or an otherwise incomplete version of a product, put together with the primary purpose of showcasing the idea, performance, method or the features of the product. They can be used as demonstrations to the investors, partners, journalists or even to potential customers in order to convince them of the viability of the chosen approach."

"Computer game developers use "tech demos" to rouse and maintain interest to titles still in development (because game engines are usually ready before the art is finished) and to ensure functionality by early testing."

Most games we never see the tech demos so confusing them with actual game footage is, I suppose, normal. But what you see is most definitely not how the game will look!

20. Dungeonmaster74

Dungeonmaster74 Avatar

I expect the graphics will be better by release but am not going to be getting my hopes up of it looking like GW2 or upcoming titles like TESO and EQ Next. They do not have the money and crew of big game studios like SOE and cannot make something like the Forgelight engine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.