Random Encounters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Magnus Zarwaddim, Dec 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

I guess this could be posted under "Wishlist", but since it's already a "feature" I am hopeful this can be more than just a wish and can actually be a reality. Maybe the community would like the idea. Maybe the dev's can implement it. :)

I am a big fan of the Overland map. It's the part that makes the world feel open to me, and even though it's not, I like it to get to a scene - especially when you have to go across the map to get to that spot you want. :)

I am also now a fan of the Random Encounters. I say "now" because before it was a bit of a pain in the backside to just get plopped into one. Then it became a bit fun to try and avoid them, because they were, let's be honest, whack. Whack in that when I got caught I would be pulled in with wolves or mobs with ~100 HP. Whack.

Well, until I realized that I could get free mats in the zone. ;)

But then something happened the other night. I saw the Skeletons on the Overland. I tried to run through the woods while heading back to Brittany Estates to sell some loot, but they grabbed me. They were green, so of course my first thought was "Whack".

Except that it wasn't. When I get into the scene they are YELLOW. And there are like 5 laying down around me. Well, needless to say I had to run out of the scene because I was spec'd Death/Air and 4 slots in my deck were useless.

And that was awesome!

I want it...again. So, thank you for reading. Maybe we can consider the following:

1) Would there be a possibility that the Random Encounter's could scale to a player or group's level? I think this would make the Overland that much more enjoyable. I wouldn't mind getting interrupted if it was challenging.

2) Can we get more mobs on the Overland? More varied mobs? Maybe, just maybe, every once in a while can we get a boss Random Encounter? Wow, that would be insane. I'd call my friends to meet me on the road to battle that boss and his crew! We are getting sieges, so I get that there will be some of this in the future. I am not asking that 1,000 mob encounters be put on the Overland - I know that would ruin the rest of the game (at least for me), because I would never leave the Overland. :)

Just my two-bits. :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  2. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I feel like theres a lot of love coming to roming encounters and im excited.
    I love the idea, i hate whats in play atm, as either its green green or as i leave one i enter another lol.

Waiting till they polish it before i make a real opinon, but im confident in the idea =)

3. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

not a big fan of the overland map or encounters. But, changes could help. Instead of scaling with a level they should start spawning tougher ones and have the color on the map reflect what you will fight. So then you know what to avoid and what to hunt. Also having the green ones stop falling on my sword every time they run into me. At a certain level they should try and avoid me and I should have to chase them sown to get in.

Cally and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  4. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

This is why I think scaling would work well. Besides, basing it on the color of the map sounds like a lot of work. ;)

Cally likes this.
  5. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

+1

6. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Perhaps, perhaps. I don't know what is in the future, but if the overland creature which pull you in are always stationed at the same locations on the trail as they are now it will be very tedious. Random encounters should be designed as just that, random or unexpected. Presently on my daily route across the map, I know exactly where the skeletons and bandits are. Always in the same place. I hope the final execution of this mechanic is more imaginative than it is now.

7. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Completely aggree. I think the should be off the road in random hiding spots as it is unrealistic they would setup a home in the middle of the road. Maybe a few ambush points along the road but not always in the same exact spot.

I would also like to see quests given to incorporate into the story. Grieving woman in town had her husband attacked and taken prison by bandits camped somewhere near the perennial trail. A band of skeletons killed X and I want revenge they were last seen around the solace bridge, etc. make them an interesting part of the game, but avoidable so that people can still get from point a to point b without having to load muktiple scenes they don't want to be in.

Aldo and Cordelayne like this.
  8. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

All great ideas. And on the rare occasion i have noticed that some random encounters arent always on the road. Once you get in the scene its a road encounter but they can be nestled in the woods and such sometimes. Not very often though. And to have the encounters be different scenes would be nice too. And i love the resources you get in them but the loot from the chest when its there or isnt empty should be upped too. Killing three bandits for 4 mandrake isnt very much fun. LOL. But i still love the encounters cause it gives a break from the traveling and great way to break the stress

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.