Thieves automatically flagged PVP - news from telethon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Umuri, Nov 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Insinious FizzleThorpe

Insinious FizzleThorpe Avatar

Why is it not 1 dev has voiced anything in this thread? Are we now forced to use some 3rd party form of communication? Only linked info is from discord chat. It would be nice to receive some valid feedback from anyone of them out there listening.

2. Krissa Lox

Krissa Lox Avatar

Interesting. I didn't know that since I've never actually stolen anything myself to know the intricacies of how it works. I was just standing up for others to not be hit by an unrelated system while dealing with the correct systems that should be meeting their needs not being adequately developed yet.

If there are still non-consequential ways remaining to handle those particular situtations, then my concerns are no issue. Thanks for posting that info!

3. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

First off, let me just say that I did not read all 10 pages of replies in this thread... so if someone else already mentioned this, I apologize.

To me, the only "System" that will work for punishing a thief is to have the NPC's and/or Guards attack when caught. Any type of bounty system where players police each other can and will be exploited and here is why:

1. Let's say I have multiple accounts, and I have one that is dedicated to stealing deco stuff.
    2. I need a bunch of mugs and plates to deco my house, so my thief account logs into single player online mode and steals whatever I need/want.
    3. NPC's yell at me and after a few times of getting caught I get flagged as Thief/PVP with a bounty now placed on my head.
    4. Since I'm in SPO, there is no fear of being killed by other players. So, I now take all my stolen lootz to one of my homes where I have access set to restrict all but co-owners of the property.
    5. I then deposit all loot into a chest and then log the thief out to main menu.
    6. Now I log into Single Player Online with my other account who is co-owner of the property and have him travel to the house and close all the doors.
    7. Now I log him back out and re-enter in Multiplayer Online Mode.
    8. Now I log the thief back in, but in MPO. The only players in my home are my two accounts.
    9. My main account now attacks and kills my Thief.
    10. Result - Free stolen stuff + the bounty collection with no risk at all.
    11. Thief then logs back into SPO and goes about stealing more stuff... rinse... repeat.

Now, if instead you have the NPC's attack the Thieves and have them interrupt any attempt of taking something... you now have a pretty good chance of deterring most thieves.

It won't stop all of them, but it also won't reward the person stealing things as a bonus.

4. Knightguy

Knightguy Avatar

Thanks for the idea, I think i'ma get another account just so i can do this ;)

5. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I'm quite sure I'm not the only one to ever think of that idea and if I don't get the idea out there before the system goes in... that exploit will surely happen.

I'm hoping to prevent that problem from ever happening. :p

6. Knightguy

Knightguy Avatar

I think of it more as a loophole than an exploit, the system would still be functioning as intended, but either way I'm also doing my part in bringing attention to it ;)

7. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Thanks for articulating this. Yet another reason why this is a less than stellar idea. I sure hope the devs are listening.

cartodude likes this.
  8. Ashwyn

Ashwyn Avatar

If caught they should be smacked by a materialized floating magic-mackerel and have to walk about with a cloud of flies that partially blinds them for a day.

Numa and Womby like this.
  9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I think letting players police players in a sandbox game is actually a sweet idea.
    But not with a pvp flag for stealing!

10. Ashwyn

Ashwyn Avatar

I still like policing magic mackerels. :)

11. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

So I am too lazy to read through this thread but is there some sort of dialogue box or other warning that pops up before you commit a criminal act? So that you know you won't steal something accidentally and get flagged to be killed by the SotA equivalent of EVE's hisec criminal killers or "old school" UO noto PKs?

12. mercster

mercster Avatar

Yep, this is true. Someone think of the newbies! I am one :)

13. mercster

mercster Avatar

Wait...do we want to deter thieves? I don't think we do...

EDIT: I'll elaborate a small bit. We do not want to "deter" getting experience; we want to put obstacles up to make getting experience mean something (i.e. mobs that have to be slain, quests that need to be done). We don't want to deter all thievery (it's a mechanic in the game afterall), we just want to make it less-than-super-easy. :)

14. Numa

Numa Avatar

Thieving from NPCs isn't much fun if there wasn't risk attached to it. Watch out for the cats btw, they not only talk- I think they're snitches for the guards.

15. mercster

mercster Avatar

Right right! And thanks for the tip about cats...I never did trust them... (just look at how they act in real life).

Numa likes this.
  16. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

17. mercster

mercster Avatar

Hah...cute. It pays to keep up with development notes and whatnot, though many don't have the time or inclination...

18. mass

mass Avatar

No system implemented yet, but they discussed getting warnings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.