Mastercrafting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dartmouth, Dec 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dartmouth

Dartmouth Avatar

I realize the Devs want crafting to be somewhat difficult but there obviously has been a tweek to the RNG for Mastercrafting which, for me, has become extremely labored. The failure rate on Tailoring Mastercraft has been 100% on "exceptional" items lately. I failed 6 times in a row on Fortified Leather Boots +1. That's a fairly expensive failure rate considering all the Hardened and Supple Leather, the Curing Salt, the Silver Ore, and the Binding Ore needed to craft. The 120 pieces of Silver Ore lost is enough to throw the mouse across the room. That is several hours of Silver mining, at least for me, in the bottom reaches of the Elysium Mine, which has the highest concentration of Silver Ore that I have found.
    I haven't attempted Mastercrafting on anything else as of late, just the Tailoring, but I would assume it's the same across the board.
    If failure is going to be the standard for Mastercrafting items, that's fine, but at least make the Silver Ore accessible enough to alleviate hours spent mining it.
    Difficult is one thing....nearly impossible is a whole new ball game, especially with limited resources like Silver Ore and, for me, Beetle Carapaces.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    Xandra7, Numa and Sara Dreygon like this.
  2. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

They haven't figured out a way to balance crafting without swingy and punishing rng unfortunately.

There have been many suggestions but it is not one if the things they have felt warranted any experimentation so far.

Curious if they made the changes to SPO and FO spawn rules that was mentioned several times but is absent from the notes as if they go through with that masterworking will be very time consuming

3. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

150 silver ore an hour from elyssium. ;)

But yea thats brutal ..
    What was your chance of success?

iansmellios likes this.
  4. Dartmouth

Dartmouth Avatar

Ok as a test I spent 1 hour in Elysium and mined 91 pieces of silver ore...22 ingots. MrBlight must have an outragious Meticulous Collection percentage to get 2/3's more ore than me. I'm still sticking to my original post. I will add that at my current Tailoring level it requires 4 attempts to gain a level in Tailoring Mastercraft. 50% of this game is crafting. In my opinion, and that's all it is, I would be spending more time working on Crafting mechanics than polishing towns.

5. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I am pretty amazing. I also can kill the eles in 5-8 seconds, so i literally out mine the 2 rooms, and dash between the two.
    Mix that with 93 metic mining, and 105 base mining (generally 3 ore per node + metic ) and sometimes a pot for +10% metic which puts me almost 30% lol

That all being said, i agree. Too much time on deco and stuff i also agree is unimportant.
    There is way more important things they should be working on.

but ive read that its dif guys that are like purely artists? or something? i dunno how a game dev team works lol.

6. Numa

Numa Avatar

I just picked up my Tailoring Masterwork Upgrade and noticed that a second pass over a previously masterworked equippable had just a ~50% chance of success. Looks like I was wise not to even attempt that. Deciding to buy my silver ore from a reliable source - since I neither have the time nor the avatar level to survive those mines - was in hindsight a smart choice.

If I went through what the OP did, I'd quit mastercrafting en pronto till the mechanics made sense.

7. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I have been the loudest complainer about the math they use for crafting. I crafted a good 500+ things while watching the statistics and every time I did chunks of 10-25 items it was ALWAYS below the 25% rate, significantly at times. I posted the stats many times of my attempts. This is an example of what they looked like as a pure example:

Masterwork 25%:
    40 chain pieces: 18%
    25 chain pieces: 21%
    20 bronze hammers: 22%
    20 Bronze long swords: 15%
    etc..etc..etc...

Enchanting 96%
    20 rings: 80%
    50 chain gar items: 75%
    50 chain gear items: 91%
    etc..etc..etc...

Mastecraft (96%):
    50 chain gear items: 85%
    50 chain gear items: 87%
    20 hammers: 91%
    20 long swords: 86%
    etc..etc..etc..

But I think they heard the complaints. Starting in R35 (2 months ago), all of my crafting bounced up to that 25% mark or higher every single time in the ~100-200 items I made afterward.

I have also seen almost no complaints similar to mine since then until his post.

I do feel like the stats are now proper if not even a little higher then 25% now. This also applied to enchanting, mastercraft and masterwork percentages.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    Numa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.