Resource node discussions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2112Starman, Jan 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Id want them to do have the seasonal effects in to fix it. Like have cotton and beetle carapace be more abundant in the summer, have mining operations spawn as overworld encounters, ransacked caravans, have bears be easier to kill in winter and spring and have them be stronger and patrol more in late summer and autumn, stuff like that

Nadomir, Spoon and Tiki Pirate like this.
  2. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

I like the "keep it hard" ethos; however, harvesting - just like crafting and adventuring - needs to have regional variations, rares, and special drops.

All aspects of the harvest/craft/adventure parts of the game should have rewards that scale according to skill and repetition to retain/entice players.

K1000 likes this.
  3. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Actaully if you look at thread posted by Randbo just recently we kinad talked about what id hope to see if they arnt going to add caps.

4. eli

eli Avatar

i figure your question was rhetorical but i would like to answer it anyway because the number is so paltry it's hilarious. the xp rewarded for smelting an ingot approaches 20xp rapidly. so 5,000 ore would smelt to 1.25k ingots, or 25,000 XP for your pool. For comparison, that is the same amount of pool you get from harvesting 50 nodes in elysium, or mining about 2% of that ore.

As a tailor, it is humorous to imagine how i'm learning 50x more about clothing by hitting rocks than by melting silver.

Tiki Pirate and Womby like this.
  5. codedragon76

codedragon76 Avatar

I disagree about nerfing this. The time gives the act of smelting some added value. Economy is all about added value. If there was not time cost to smelting, then everyone will just smelt themselves.

6. codedragon76

codedragon76 Avatar

I'd rather buy, but as you can see, with the current drop rate, raw mat price is just way too high.

7. codedragon76

codedragon76 Avatar

Back when I thought you would need to specialize in crafting skills, I had intended to run a professional smelting service. Since there is no good market for turning ore to ingots, that fell through.

Baratan likes this.
  8. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

There's a limit though when the tuning for time to make satisfying gains means doing what you want to do, isn't fun. In that case, not doing it results in just not paying the game.

9. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Apply some reason to this, how many people are going to sit around long term in this game sitting at their computer for 4 hours to smelt say 2500 Ore? How is anyone but people who can play the game 24x7 without jobs with an extreme case of OCD going to continue with this?

Vagabond Sam likes this.
  10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I would agree there is still quite a bit of work to do. Lot of the regional stuff isn't in. Prices need to come down etc. I think it's all achievable but the question is how will Portalarium go about it. That I'm still a little unsure about. I'd love to see some of the current metrics.

Tiki Pirate likes this.
  11. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

There seems to be too much emphasis here on the X number of resources per node/hour/etc aspect of gathering and harvesting. Those numbers can be easily adjusted.

The problem is the underlying system just isn't fun (for me anyway). So whether I need 20 cotton or 2000 cotton, I don't like to go out looking for cotton to harvest, while fighting off generic MMO mobs, waiting for a long timer that is coupled with a % chance for success (again - do one or the other, not both - this is a common issue they have). Then I have to refine whatever resource I am collecting which has it's own issues.

Vaentorian, Baratan and Womby like this.
  12. codedragon76

codedragon76 Avatar

I am hoping that the time is reduced and results better if you are a crafter who focuses on smelting. All crafting is suffering from a lack of reason to specialize

Baratan likes this.
  13. Arlin

Arlin Avatar

Adding a totally meaningless time sink to crafting is not adding value to the game in any way. It is ludicrous that I have to spend 4 hours tabbing in and out smelting ore 20 ingots at a time.

Baratan and Womby like this.
  14. codedragon76

codedragon76 Avatar

Either it adds meaning and should take time, or removed entirely. I personally enjoy smelting and socializing as I do so. Now if only the game made it possible to make a small profit doing so.

15. Arlin

Arlin Avatar

You know, there are other options besides "make players type 20 and hit a button every 5 minutes for hours on end" and "totally remove material refinement skills" and there are better ways to add value than a pointlessly large time investment. I already spend hours mining, I don't need to also spend hours smelting, especially when it's just pushing a button every 5 minutes.

Baratan and Womby like this.
  16. codedragon76

codedragon76 Avatar

I am all ears on how you keep smelting meaningful, and take no time at all. As it is, final crafting being instantaneous removes anything interesting in the process. Drop items on table, push button, instant profit.. bleh

17. Arlin

Arlin Avatar

There is nothing interesting or meaningful about smelting now. Why are you attached to this system? Tedious busywork does not add value to the game.

Womby and Baratan like this.
  18. codedragon76

codedragon76 Avatar

I am not married to it, just saying that anything that is a step should require a little time. It gives a consumer a reason to buy processed goods, rather than raw. If I can smelt all my metals at once, there is no reason to even have smelting in the game.

19. Arlin

Arlin Avatar

There is currently no reason and significant disincentive to buy materials at all for a dedicated crafter(EDIT - for a blacksmith. If you're something else, you're probably going to want to farm XP by mining and buy wood or whatever). And while I would prefer a more interesting system, being able to smelt everything at once would still be better than what we have.

20. codedragon76

codedragon76 Avatar

I would prefer something as simple as make ore weigh a little more, but produce 5 bars per ore. That should fix a weight problem, smelting time and a materials availability problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.