Bottom basement hatch leading to tunnel to underworld

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by mass, Jan 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mass

mass Avatar

I frequently run to the mines. I have to run all through my town, all the way over the overland map, through the foothills, and then into the mine.

Here's what I would like:
    A hatch that I could purchase or craft, that I could place in the bottom of my basement. It should lead to a new tunnel scene full of mobs underground. If I make it through the scene, the exit should lead to the nearest already established underworld scene that connects to the nearby underworld/mines. Since I'm in Spite, my basement tunnel would lead to Spindrift from which I could go to the Graff Gem mines or Serpents Spine mines. It would be preferably be craftable with lots of granite and wood required to simulate the tunnel building. I should be balanced so that the mobs couldn't really be farmed, but make it so you don't simply have a straight run at the underworld, mitigating some of the advantage you have over traveling via overworld (but having some advantage none the less). You should be able to return to the 'hatch' spot and return to your basement.

Acred, moko, Numa and 3 others like this.
  2. Acred

Acred Avatar

It might be a challenge to implement this for each basement, or it might be more simple than I expect.

Whichever, this is an amazing idea @mass and would really be fun to have!

3. mass

mass Avatar

My thinking was that it would work much like basements work now. The hatch would lead to an underground tunnel scene that was the same for everyone that the devs would have to create, but simply a party/solo instance. The end of the tunnel simply transports you to a specific location in the existing regional underworld. So they would need to create a little hatch graphic in the underworld at that spot and flag it to 'if character has basement hatch, then return if character to that basement; if not, do nothing' (clearly I'm not a programmer). I think the biggest effort would be creating the tunnel scene, but it seems like you could copy/paste largely from a section of another existing underground scene. Seems like mostly low hanging fruit to me, but like I say, I'm no programmer and it's obviously way down any priority list at this point.

I could see conflicts if someone had multiple basements with hatches; they'd have to figure out how to choose which one to return to. Might be tricky with groups trying to zone together as well.

4. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

if this becomes A Thing, i have a few ideas on this:
    note: all of these ideas are from a point of view of being inside the mine itself.

you can have an out of the way side-tunnel that is very roughly dug out that leads to a ladder/trapdoor...and is instanced.
    if you have a geographically close hatch in a basement you have ownership permissions in, or are grouped with someone who does, that ladder is instanced directly to that basement.

if you have multiple people with a hatch in your group that apply, you get a popup list asking which one to enter, if it is yours, you can get a permissions window on either side of the door, if you only have one in your group then it just goes there like any other trapdoor.

and if you do not have access via any of those methods, it just looks pretty and is not interactable, or goes out to the overland map somewhere applicable.

mass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.