Bank?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Link_of_Hyrule, Nov 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Hopefully this is the right section for this if not feel free to move it. Anyways I haven't really heard anyone talk about if SotA ius going to have a bank or not. I really would love to see a UO style bank but maybe with an actual NPC you talk to. Has anyone seen the developers talk about a banking system at all?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Deus_Irae and Montaigne like this.
  2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I very vague recall perhaps a comment in a dev chat ages ago... maybe. It hasn't really been a hot topic. There's a good thread or two on the topic from months back but no dev replies there either as I recall.

3. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

Seems like a safe assumption that there would be a personal and guild bank available. Based on the NPC interaction they've shown so far, I'm guessing you'll have to go talk to an NPC maybe say "bank" or "withdraw" or "desposit" to get the bank window to open and maybe some variant of those keywords for the guild bank or perhaps just a different NPC.

None of that is confirmed, just saying it sounds to me like it would be consistent with what they've said so far.

Link_of_Hyrule likes this.
  4. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Vendor buy the bank some guards!

krom likes this.
  5. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I remember them talking about having banks in each of the towns, and some gypsy camps. So there will be some! you dont have to walk around with your pockets sagging, and humped over from the weight in your back pack!

6. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

The big question regarding banks would be, are they local or global? Can you deposit in one town and withdraw in another? This usually ends up being a never-ending, heated discussion for any new MMO :)

7. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

yes i remember RG talking about that, and he said yes deposit in one town and withdrawl in another, i believe it was in one of those first videos he came out with.

8. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

I like the convenience too. The argument people usually make for local-only banking is based around the idea that caravans of goods being moved from one location to another should be a big part of gameplay. i.e. you should actually have to physicall move stuff around the world as opposed to just dropping it in one bank and picking it up in another.

9. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Nah all the banks just use basic for you to share the same box with every bank.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

10. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I just want a bank in town so I can break into it.

fenix likes this.
  11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Global for coin ok.. so long all banks can communicate that makes enough sense. Gobal for items? Makes no sense at all. Had that discussion in other threads twice already.

smack likes this.
  12. smack

smack Avatar

That would be my preference but I doubt they'll do it and will just make it global. There's no reward aside from "RP" or "realism" which not eveyone cares about if the game isn't going to be fun for them. So there's gotta be another hook otherwise I don't see it being local only banks.

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Many great games don't have banks at all. Players have to be responsible in how they manage their loot. In this respect I see no difference between single and multiplayer games. If lack of such a convenience is a game breaker then there are more serious problems at work than lack of an unrealistic convenience that can only exist in fantasy.

I would agree in concept. If realism destroys fun... then it has to go.. but something like a bank.. well this isn't a game about economics. It's not a core feature that can make or break gameplay. If a player is so fickle that the banking system is their excuse to quit than they'd find whatever excuse suited their fancy and quit anyway.

I will say this then.. if banks make items globally available.. then I won't store items in banks.

14. smack

smack Avatar

Well, you never know. They could make it local and tie it to the siege aspect. If the town in which you've stored items in is under siege, it goes in lock down mode and becomes unavailable until it's taken back. The same argument for local banks could be made due to house storage so the precedent has been set in that regard. They could also have in game courier services as well. But aside from those aspects what could make it more "carrot "to balance the "stick" of local storage?

As with other systems such as food/drink requirements, food rot, gear requirements due to weather, etc. they've always asked or said not enough reward vs penalty. If we offer up ideas around it they might be open to actually doing it.

I don't want to tie everything to money or tax aspects such as global banks cost some fee vs local banks are free as that is tainted by nickel & dime arguments.

15. Knoxinn

Knoxinn Avatar

Of the great games that don't have banks...I would bet that they do offer some sort of storage (a chest, a vault, etc) and they don't have housing and/or the extensive crafting system that SotA is promising us. Combine all the items for housing and the kabillion crafting materials that there will be...you are talking load after load after load of stuff. A global banking system? Yes please. I look at it as a necessary evil. Does it defy realism? Yep. Do I still want it? Yep.

Being a crafter without a house is going to be tricky no matter what way you slice it. It's not a queston of "players being responsible in how they manage their loot" when they don't have a house to drop off everything. Without a house, players will be ultra-responsible in how and what they store. Take global banking away from them and a huge part of the game becomes a colossal drag.

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Actually the game I was thinking of does have crafting and housing.. I go through a lot of effort to keep all my crafting materials where I craft. In either case.. as a crafter myself I wouldn't do all my harvesting for different materials in different places and store them all over the place. I would keep my materials where I craft. I would do my harvesting in that area as well. If there was something I needed I could only get elsewhere? Find another harvester for that material and pay for delivery.

A big arguement I've heard in the forum time and again is people complaining about players being self reliant and not interacting with other players. A small point but globaling bank storage for items is such a feature. I could go mine around Owl's Head.. stuff it in a bank.. run up and do my crafting in Britanny. But I also know full well there are other guys like me who will take orders for materials and then deliver them for a reasonable price. Saves me a lot of time and effort. I've worked both ends of this arrangement as a crafter and a miner. So the craft arguement doesn't really convince me.

I can't imagine a lot of crafters wanting to travel all that much.. and globaling banks for items pretty much kills many opportunities for shipment/delivery interactions in the player economy. Well.. it has that kind of potential at least but I see nothing tricky about centraling your storage where you like to craft. You harvest what you want.. you buy the rest either from merchants or other players who deliver to you.

17. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

sounds like a moot point given that RG already confirmed global banks according to another poster.

Link_of_Hyrule likes this.
  18. Mitch [MGT]

Mitch [MGT] Avatar

No such thing as a moot point on these forums :p

Knoxinn likes this.
  19. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I'm thinking banks should be just for money.
    The problem with putting items in your bank is that you can use that as a way to ship things.
    Put armor in the bank and then go across the map and remove armor.
    There needs to be reason to ship or smuggle items in this game.
    Maybe there should be some kind of storage building or apartments for those that do not have houses.

20. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

My thought is that the Dev team has talked several times about certain areas or villages/towns/cities will be the size and location they are is due to the resources around it or location they are at. You make global item banking and most those benefits are gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.