Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Info Needed]Have to wait until after Root recovery to attempt to move

Discussion in 'Release 38 Bug Forum' started by Cleetus, Jan 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cleetus

Cleetus Avatar

Not sure the terminology to use here, but I'll try to explain.

After successfully casting a spell, there is a brief period of time that all spells go into what I call recovery (some amount of time before the next spell or skill can be used). Trying to move during this recovery period generally doesn't work. In particular, after casting the Root spell, there is a 2-3 second recovery period. This is where the bug occurs.

Steps:
    1) Cast Root on a mob.
    2) After it successfully casts, but during the recovery period for the spell, press and hold the "Forward" movement key ("W" for me).

Expect:
    - After the recovery period ends, the player should start moving forward.

Result:
    - Most times, the player just sits there not moving. The player will not move again until the Forward button is released and re-engaged.

Basically, it seems like the keyboard input is not picking up on an already engaged state after casting recovery is complete, and that's frustrating during a fever pitched battle (especially when trying to chase after an archer or someone who is running away, which is why I cast Root in the first place).

2. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

You may have the game option "Prevent Movement While Casting" selected. Could you check and see if this issue still occurs if it is disabled?

3. Garfunkel Humperdinck

Garfunkel Humperdinck Bug Hunter

I was having the same issue, but your suggestion to uncheck "Prevent Movement While Casting" was the solution. Thanks Attenwood.

For months now I thought the avatar had to hold still while casting Root. Nope!

4. Garfunkel Humperdinck

Garfunkel Humperdinck Bug Hunter

There actually is still a small problem with Root and movement even with "Prevent Movement While Casting" unchecked:

1. If you cast Root while only holding one directional key (W,A,S, or D) you keep moving while casting.

2. Occasionally if you cast Root while holding two directional keys (W+A, S+A, ect...) you stop moving while casting. And then moving again causes an interrupt.

That may be where some of these issues are coming from.

Actually whether the avatar can continue moving or not while casting root seems to be completely random. Half of the time the avatar keeps moving while casting and the other half the avatar stops moving while casting.:confused:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  5. Cleetus

Cleetus Avatar

Looks like this addresses the major issue I was having, thanks! I suppose the bug, then, is that when Prevent Movement While Casting is on, when the spell is actively done casting, the input routines fail to notice if a movement key is pressed. The user must press the movement key after the spell is fully done casting and control is given back to the user.

It would be much less frustrating if the game treated the option more like a brake that is released once the cast is done.

Garfunkel Humperdinck likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.