Sun magic: Is it really more useful against undead?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Kara Brae, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

signed

2. Armar

Armar Avatar

I second that. The "Master of Death (magic)" is most vulnerable to something Dead. Doesnt make too much sense to me. There should be a kind of stun or debuff within death-magic at least.

Now i have to learn a fourth magic school because otherwise i dont have any chance soloing any spawn zone with skels in it.

Balandar likes this.
  3. Numa

Numa Avatar

The skeletons normally hurt you with physical damage unless they're mages in which case fireballs are the norm. It's the liches you have to watch out for with their life drain. Funny thing is I've seen skellie mages heal themselves with a spell from the Life tree - go figure.

Net likes this.
  4. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Thanks for the tip about Defensive Stance. I started training it and have it almost to 40 now. However, in order to use it I have to remove another of my defensive buffs. I've used Dodge and Deflect (I carry a shield) and both seem to help.

Am I wasting my hard-earned exp training yet another defensive buff (Defensive Stance), or is it really more useful than the buffs I already had (Deflect, Dodge)? Defensive Stance has a cost attached to it (reduced attack speed).

5. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

As it currently stands Attack speed only effect auto attacks and not spells. So there is no downside there. You can stack dodge, deflect, and defensive stance tanks do it frequently. I couldn't tell you which is better that would take some testing. They all effect different stats. Dodge and deflect when it works makes you take not damage. Defensive stance increase all your armor values which would include your shield and make you take less damage when you are hit from all sources. So at gm wearing all cloth and no shield I take 26.6 less damage with a sheild I'm at 41.4% less damage for all attacks.

6. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I have a deck with defensive stance locked and a slot with dodge, earth embrace and a shield that fits for what I am fighting , most iceshield .

7. mass

mass Avatar

As I get more into death magic, I see the problem as sort of the opposite. You should get resistance to the lich drain with high death attunement, but it can be a pain to damage skeles when half of your glyphs are for something they are almost completely resistant to. It's like trying to fight earth elementals with earth magic. I agree @Net and @Armar we need like a control undead that either compels them to fight on our side for a time or confuses them or something to balance the extra time we need to burn them down with non-death magic.

Numa likes this.
  8. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

When you fight stuff like ghosts or liches, you don't really have many choices as a mage right now. So Sun Ray is one of the few spells that can harm these high resist mobs at all.

9. Balandar

Balandar Avatar

I thought they could all stack?

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  10. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Liches are VERY resistant to Searing Ray, so says my stunning 3 to 6 damage attacks against them with it.

Numa likes this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Earth elementals and obsidian golems are very resistant to physical damage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.