Limited wipe

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by MasterWan, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterWan

MasterWan Avatar

please do a limited wipe before launch. My recommendation is to leave assets alone. Houses, deeds, lots, etc..
    For skills, current players should need to choose 3 to 5 skills in adventure and 3 to 5 in crafting that remain unchanged, starting with lowest level skill upward. This would potentially allow for specialization in one area or medium specialization in two for each tree.

I ask the question. How else is it going to work at launch?

2. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Why wipe? Just delete your character.

Spexs and iansmellios like this.
  3. Lained

Lained Avatar

Currently the only thing that's planned is an optional reset of your quests.

4. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

I myself had called for a wipe as well a few months ago when i believed it was impossible to catch up with earlier players and to an extent the catching up is still difficult to do, however the way the skill system is set up they aren't that much ahead by ability in any specific skills a new player cant with dedication match. These players are more versatile, with many GM's to choose from, true...but a combat bar can only hold X amount of skills and all cant be used at the same time.

Many people have worked their butts off raising skills and crafting to GM+ with the added cost of resources bought and paid for with out of game funds etc... to make this request happen and wiping skills would decimate the most loyal and dedicated players for what could be deemed a benefit to those that haven't put as much time/energy/money into the game....

Whenever something is called persistent there will always be this call at a later date for later players or those with less time input into the game, and a line has to be written in the sand, which it has been many times been acknowledged by devs that there will be no more wipes ( unless a disaster, which hasn't happened). Thus, It isn't going to happen..and now after playing and learning that getting your skills to level 80 etc gives 90%+ of a person with skills at 120 etc i really don't think it necessary....

5. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I don't see your point, OP.

When new players will begin to play episode 5 in 10 years, at launch, shall we plan another wipe ?

We were told : last wipe, so we have spent time creating and improving our character according to this.

I think none of us want to waste big efforts simply because people will want to reset the counters to 0 at every opportunity.

Read at Bow Vale post. It sums up everything.

6. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I have a guild mate who started two weeks ago and now he's already in 5 skull zone with HP slightly higher than me (550+). I don't see catching up will be such a big deal.

7. zellock431

zellock431 Avatar

the gods i hope there wont be a wipe.

Spexs and iansmellios like this.
  8. Selene

Selene Avatar

Well, I doubt it will ever happen... but if it did, I'd roll with it.

Net likes this.
  9. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

Wipe thrice, then warsh.

discipleofweb likes this.
  10. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I think my mind would crack a little more.

Cordelayne and discipleofweb like this.
  11. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

I think @Bow Vale and @Roycestein Kaelstrom said it eloquently.
    This game is designed for the long term. Ideally (as in UO) there will be new players arriving all the time. Should we have a periodic wipe just so that the newbies who arrived last week don't feel left out? Or should we adopt the obvious solution, inherent in the game design:
    1. The adventure areas are structured. 1-skull areas for newcomers to start in, together with simple quests to gain experience.
    2. Higher tier areas to move on to as maturity allows.
    3. When, and only when, a player feels competent and confident, they can try their hand at PVP. Until then they need not be flagged, and are in no danger of being squashed by juggernaut players.
    This progression is what we all went through, it is available to new players now, and will be available for the life of the game.
    A hypothetical issue arises when a newish player sees someone walking around with 800 - 900 HP. Does it evoke jealousy and envy? Likely that player has spent hundreds or thousands of hours honing skills - IMHO he/she should not be penalised because a newer player, or someone who hasn't put in the time, is resentful. And, as has been pointed out, the skill curve is such that, on a good day, a level 50 player may well survive and even succeed against a level 80 player. Some of it is down to deck creation, glyph choice, skill, and random luck.
    In my experience, many (probably most) of the juggernaut players are really decent people who are happy to help younger and less experienced players along.

Anyway, the discussion is probably moot, as we have been assured there will not be a wipe. And I say that is a VERY GOOD THING.

Spexs, Cordelayne, Hornpipe and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.