I don't grind, rush, race, compete and still have fun!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stundorn, Apr 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

So, it wasn't easy i have to admit, but i completely stepped out of Babylon in a sense of competition, comparison, race, rush, grind and greed!!!
    And now i have my fun of the first days when i didn't know what a GM is back
    (I really thought - cool they have GMs like UO RP Shards, god i was very disappointed when i realized they talk about a skill max... Oh wait the next disappointment o_O)

I think the people who approach to the game like this are rare and most of them aren't at the forums.
    Maybe a wise decision , what the eye does not see, the heart does not grieve for.
    But maybe some are here and are just calm.

I am playing since short after persistence made barely a level in the last month and still adv level 63.
    4 skills at 80 and some gifted equip and a well crafted staff i spend all the money i saved over some month ( just because I do not seriuosly grind, make 5000 gold in serpent spine an i got bored :p:eek:)
    Most of the time i am immersing, exploring, adventuring, just hanging around or searching for someone willing to rp, decorating, moving my house from here to there :p
    Things that aren't efficient from a gamemechanics view.

When I began reading this forum, I felt behind, I felt locked of content (PvP), i felt i can never be part of... Yes part of what, the community?
    Or the players who take it more serious and competetive ?

I am know developing some serious love for my weakness and for not rushing , not spoil content to me in xp boss groups or something like that.

The game has evolved to me as i have evolved my attitude and approach to the game (and the grind)

You need not identify yourself ,but if you want to post , you're welcome.

If you cannot understand it, you are welcome to comment, but please keep it kind and friendly and not insulting or subversive and avoid words like danceparties, I don't like them and do not harm any form of bears, neither Obsidian nor Panda's :D

Thank you!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  2. Fiero Steele

Fiero Steele Avatar

Hi,

Decorator here and intense shopper and I love it here in the game and in the forums! you are not alone!

I do love the crafters who grind and make all the great items!

What I love is the exploring, seeing what others have built, made, crafted, designed and meeting other people in this virtual world!

What I hate is seeing people leave! sorry to see long time players dropping off one by one, but the plus side is all the new players who are joining!

No Gm's, do some mining, some fighting and love looking around!

Still having fun!

Fiero Steele

3. Leinad Laurelwreath

Leinad Laurelwreath Avatar

Playing since persistence and i think i didn't even reach lvl40 (too lazy to even check this)

Exploring, testing quests, some crafting, RPing and wandering about dying everyday i log in and go hunting!!

When i reach my first GM (current max skill is 70-something in Tailoring), I'll purchase something from the AddOnStore and run a raffle for all the slow-players like you/us!

4. Autumn Willow

Autumn Willow Avatar

It's nice that you're enjoying yourself. Do you think the game can/should be improved? Would your enjoyment then be more or less?

5. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Improvement of the game is ofc important and there are many things in different directions that can be improved.
    Some arent for me anymore i think the highend stuff isnt that interesting to me, i cannot imagine to get to that and dont have fun to make a science of playing the game. So I wont get perfectly equip or have a buff deck 5 potions, 2 meals active. Also i have or spent less time because i am a Singleparent, 40-50 hrs Job, 2 dogs, play in a Band, love to drive my sidecar Moto :D
    But there are of course many things that would give me more fun playing in the long term.
    Treasures, variance of Encounters, RP Tools like creating quests or scenes what fit to create RP adventures, N. Drachvald Spur we did something like this. Scenes where you can build a story around, embedded into lore and embed this into your RP.
    I would love to be able to Ice fish, because i live in a ice biome or ice skate, do races and "Ice dancing" :D ok that Statement was because of the ever stated dancepartie stuff :p
    Many more things but also pvp balance an to be competable without to have 50 GM or level 90+ it takes people like me 2 or 3 years to be able to be competable in pvp, if ever have the money to craft or buy the gear. I still cannot visit mines solo. Maybe harvester Builds that can avoid any combat.
    There are much things that can build in an RPG with MP what are not constraint competetive but fun and entertaining for socializing and roleplaying people.
    I am not the Tavern type, i allways try to embed pve or pvp into immersive RP.

6. Merchant Mike

Merchant Mike Avatar

I have tried and tried to get into playing this game. But the constant grinding sort of wears on me. I love, and still play Ultima Online, it is the reason I got involved with SoTA. But leveling is a pain, crafting is a pain, and housing is simply unsatisfying. The idea of constantly having to farm xp points that you use for leveling yourself and crafting is far too close to Farmville for my taste. But I also know many folks do enjoy playing and all that is involved in the methods used to progress in this game. But as it is now, I cannot see many new players flocking to Sota when there are far too many games that offer a more sensible, skill based path to leveling.

7. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

I'm roleplaying a character that is having fun :p

8. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I still can't see how we will progress through the story without having to constantly stop and grind in between, ripping us out of the flow of the story...

Time Lord, Dantuin, Kaisa and 5 others like this.
  9. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Explore create Richard says ;)
    (my Name is Richard too :p)

Know what you mean, i wish they will implement tons of quests around scenes and lore.

10. Belgtor

Belgtor Avatar

My 2 cents

I've loved the time when I started to play after persistent. However as a PVP Focus player I just couldn't continue to play after putting in hundreds of hours into developing my character only to be one shot by an aoe.
    The main reason the game has died for me and my friends is balance. The unending grind that feeds into the unending leveling system is too much. Especially for anyone doesn't have a large amount of time to put towards the game. In order to be competitive PVP you need do you have a similar level of time invested as your opponent. This time of course has to be strictly exp farming. Which I find is just not a healthy game system.

The game has quality that have anything to do with character level. However this is entirely community base for personal pleasure one single player mode.

I believe the current system and never ending power scaling is perfect for the single-player experience. Which is needed to solo group content. But can be very demoralizing in multiplayer especially when a new player find out what they need to do in order to be equal to the quote on quote top players.

Which brings me to my second issue the game awards time investment over personal skill or even knowledge of mechanics to a degree.

A player's time investment should provide them with better game understanding in order to be better then their opponent not just simply out muscling then with the time that they have had the game. In conclusion the only way I can see meaningful return of like-minded players to myself is a level cap system. Allowing all skills to be better balance when interacting with another player. Understand my views on this forum are not very popular in the level cap system. However this is the best feedback I can give testing this in the game.

Time Lord, Kaisa, Xandra7 and 4 others like this.
  11. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

That's why i completely stopped to approach SotA competetive.
    I have other things to do, although i would like to add competitive content to my RP it seems this is only possible in a planned and prepared frame not in a sandbox open world way.

Time Lord and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  12. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I have a feeling there is a divide in some of the community. I see there is a difference as to how people justify the grind. I think the difference is in the housing really. People that have land deeds and housing have more of a reason to grind and produce. They can spend time decorating, building or what not for their house. Pot owners can build all kinds of stuff for their pots and spend lots of time decorating. But what about the person who does not have a place? What does the grind produce him? A public vendor and public crafting stations. I know you say they can join a guild or reach out to the community, but that only works if you are want the mmo part, not if you play single player. What is there for the new player that playes single player online? What makes his grind worth while?

Time Lord, Xandra7 and Cordelayne like this.
  13. Merchant Mike

Merchant Mike Avatar

Explore, create on your own did not work well for Landmark. I wish it were more story driven and less grindy.

Kaisa, neveser, Stundorn and 2 others like this.
  14. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

The game became dull and boring. And the grind.. well.....maybe someone should modify this aspect. ASAP

Kaisa, Cordelayne and Stundorn like this.
  15. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

An Immersive Life,

Oh My Dear Family Back on Earth,

I am now called Nystal TimeLord, and though I hold some worth in land holdings, and am therefore considered a Lord Marshal within the lands I now live, I, as most of we who live here, struggle to survive as there has been great hardships for all of us since a great catastrophe of apocalyptic scale has happened throughout the new world I now live. I have crops planted, fight back the dangers when I can, and think of myself here as only a helpful guide for others.

I prey you are all well and will see you again some day...

*gets up from kneeling after finishing his prayer*

Well then, I have to get back to work now :)
    "You there! Peasant! get back to work!" :D

[​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~;)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  16. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

This is why I play - grinding is just so I can craft better stuff for me.

discipleofweb, Time Lord and Stundorn like this.
  17. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Cool Avatar Pic :D

chuck5086 and Time Lord like this.
  18. Aiyarree

Aiyarree Avatar

Hi,
    well i see all this posts about level and leveling and stuff.
    I am not sure if it is me who missed something or this guys.

As i understand it and remember right: To bring all skills to max lvl
    would take more than a lifetime.

So, what exactly are these talking about? Why even try to reach the impossible - especially in no-time?
    And than complain about it!? My plan is to play sota for years. What most people are doing here sounds to me like sprinting
    in the beginning of a marathon and than complain about being out of energy and no finish line in sight but the others are keep passing.

I mean, i enjoy the way. Coming to a new scene and make it piece by piece through it and discover it. Than go to the next.
    There is time. Time to have fun. Whats happening here is a tennis or golf player who is complaining about

a.) others are better (a shame - there are edged and flawed people out there - to bad - you discovered we are not all equal)
    b.) others can afford more time to play (oh jea... They decide to play sota instead of doing other tings. If its rely important to you, you can play about 18 of 24 hours. Just a question of sacrifices - i know what i am talking about.)
    c.) self is not No.1. (ok... there can only be one No. 1 - so make more sacrifices to get better - ask a Gold-Medal-Winner what it means to sacrifice a live and in some cases all the pain is for nothing - thats you risk - take it of leave it)

So to stay with the picture of a tennis or golf player - a lot of players play every week -
    or even every second day. And not thinking about ranking or competition or stuff one time.
    Would you call them stupid?

Do you rely want a second WoW? With max leveln and stuff? And even there where people who brought a Character to Max-Level in under a week.
    Have you been one of them? What sota is missing is a system of limitations. Imitating your possible opponents to such you can potential beat.
    A system who acts as a master above you that takes care about your steps and make sure you are not being hurt to hard. And reset every 2 Years...great
    sarcasm: Giving you a nice carrot and some sweets. kindergarten. Need a diaper change? /sarcasm

This is a game for people who can think in longer terms. It is all about freedom and making plans.
    It is exactly this freedom to make mistakes and to have to think myself what motivates me to play sota.

If you could not stand the freedom of making mistakes -
    don't blame the game. Go and play something more limited and guarded.

Ronni, McKipper, Rada Torment and 2 others like this.
  19. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

@Aiyarree

Äh you seem to misinterpret the thread or didnt read it, and you sound a little bit accusing.:oops:

I get your point, but not in relation to the postings in this thread.

It's obviously that people like to play with likeminded and "equally strong" people to have fun.

The "race" and endless concept or the rush versus immerse mentality and all attitudes in between divides the small playerbase.

That's sad somehow, but is acceptable as it is normal, like your comparison to golfers.

Do you have fun playing all day with Mr. Langer or Mr. Woods?
    I guess not :p
    You play with likeminded and equally strong people.
    Maybe a game of Chess with Kasparov one or two times is fun and enlightening, but after that i think you will more like to play with someone at your skill.

This thread was no complain, it is a Statement to not longer play (PvE or PvP - not RP!) with people who are less immersing but more progressing.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Aiyarree

Aiyarree Avatar

misinterpret... cold be. To clarify:

you wrote: "stepped out of Babylon in a sense of competition, comparison, race, rush, grind and greed!!!"
    - in other words you were competing, comparing, racing, rushing, grinding and greedy.
    --- thats your words - not mine ---

Well. And i simple stated that especially "race n rush" makes no sense because we have nothing -to race- or -to rush- simple because nobody has ever drawn a finish line.
    And instead of be greedy you could figure out what the other have that you want and do not have and try to get it. If you are willing to pay the price.
    There is no anger in my words or accusing. I just try to understand what you are doing. Because it is obvious that you have seen a finish-line where no is.

And the simple fact that you still mention your levels in detail (especially the one that is buried in the log-files and has to be dig out - in one way or the other -
    shows me that you are still on the race and competition side. You have even thrown a amount of gold into the ring. Why would you do that if not for provoke... something...

You wrote:
    When I began reading this forum, I felt behind, I felt locked of content (PvP), i felt i can never be part of... Yes part of what, the community?
    Or the players who take it more serious and competetive ?

Why would you feel "locked of content"? You can do everything you want. Only thing is - you can NOT be perfect in everything - so you have to look yourself out.
    When someone is practicing music ingame or writing books, he is not even spending ingame skill points. Is such a person now stupid?
    No, he has a goal to reach and is working for it. The same way the grinding PvPer is working for his goal. You simple cant put it in numbers.
    And feels the PVPer locked out now, because he cant be in the tavern and listen some music (or better play by himself) while at this time he has to grind XP?
    Probably not. So why should you? Two complete different things. Like in real live.

Wired thinking. Simple don´ t get it.

You wrote:
    It's obviously that people like to play with likeminded and "equally strong" people to have fun.

Well - and what game? A song competition or a joust? Have never seen a bard wining a sword fight against a knight.
    But i have also seen not so many knights asking the bard to go give him the lute and go home.

For example - in the time i write this, i could have earned 50k xp with ease. Am i weak now? Perhaps in some eyes. I don´t care.

You wrote:
    The "race" and endless concept or the rush versus immerse mentality and all attitudes in between divides the small playerbase.

Well thats nothing else than the daily race to work. There are ones with an easier job with less money and more time and happiness.
    And the others with harder work, more qualified (harder in school) or longer duty and more money. Be who you want to be.
    If this divides the community... well... than is all our society divided. - Well - in fact it is. It is normal.

As said - again more questions than answers.
    Wired thinkings.

Time Lord and Stundorn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.