Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Info Needed]Game crashes often

Discussion in 'Release 41 Bug Forum' started by Rafael, May 3, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rafael

Rafael Avatar

Title: Game crashes after 5 - 60 mins of playing

Reproduction Rate: 100%

Blocker? Yes

Details: Sometimes game crashes as soon as I start moving. Other times I can play for a bit before it crashes. I can still hear the game running in realtime but my display turns white, black, or transparent (so I'm seeing the desktop). Usually I can kill the program, but one time it completely froze the computer.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Log into Shroud of the Avatar
    2. Start playing
    3. I don't know if my video card or dual monitors are causing this. It seems like the display is causing a glitch

User Specs: PC running Windows 10, Dual Monitors,
    Version: Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.1]
    Renderer: AMD FirePro W4100 (FireGL V) Graphics Adapter (ID=0x682c)
    Vendor: ATI
    VRAM: 2026 MB
    Driver: 15.200.1045.0
    Ram 32 gb
    Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1650 v4 @ 3.6ghz
    Other: Using Steam

2. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thank you for reporting. We are currently investigating this issue. In the meantime, have you attempted a reinstallation of the game client to see if this might resolve the issue for you?

Nightshade likes this.
  3. Rafael

Rafael Avatar

I have not tried that yet. I will do so now and report back.

4. Rafael

Rafael Avatar

I've reinstalled the game through Steam, updated my graphics drivers, scanned for malware, but that's about all the troubleshooting I know how to do. The game crashed again after I reinstalled it. The crash reports all have the following line:

d3d11.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
    in module d3d11.dll at 0033:d4615d20.

5. Rafael

Rafael Avatar

I've reinstalled Win10 and SOTA in the stand alone client (not Steam). The game is still crashing. The display vanishes, showing the desktop, the SOTA style cursor, and a small white box in the top left. I can still hear the game sounds, but I can't get the display to come back. I can alt-tab out of the game and close it from the task bar.

6. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Never tried this with Sota as Ive not had the issue, but in the past trying to track things down Ive disabled my soundcard in device manager to find out if it was that.
    In my case in the past it was the sound drivers causing issues in certain games (Some old realtek AC97 chipset iirc) and disabling the soundcard stopped the problem.
    Uninstalling the sound drivers and trying different older versions I eventually found one that worked, most likely its a bug but the fact you can still hear the sound going sound to me like it could be related.

Nightshade likes this.
  7. Rafael

Rafael Avatar

I think you're right. As I have been disabling different features of the game, I noticed that ever since I turned off footsteps the game has stopped crashing. I will try changing the drivers as well; however I was not having this issue prior to Release 41. Thanks for the advice.

8. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Glad it helped you track the issue down, if you didnt have it before R41 its most likely a driver issue with the newer version of unity , or a bug that only crops up on certain hardware /driver combination maybe .

9. Rafael

Rafael Avatar

I updated my sound drivers and now it's crashing more frequently. Is there a way to send the error report to the developers?

10. Rafael

Rafael Avatar

After reinstalling Win10, the game did not crash after several hours of playtime. However, after Win10 automatically updated, the game started crashing in the same manner described above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.