Bridge Encounter - money or life to pass the Bridge

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Stundorn, May 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I would like to see Bandits capture Bridges and you can pay them a fee or need to fight your way free.

2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

3. Curt

Curt Avatar

Would not Bridge Trolls be more expected?

4. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Maybe a weaker type of troll. That is how I started out in Ultima V - going across bridges to fight the trolls.

5. Presto

Presto Avatar

@bridge troll FTW!

6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

A great idea!

I like the "red sash bandits" being more prevalent than any fairy tail troll thing. I think trolls are very cool, yet if they thing for bridges, it would seem more like a Teamsters Fairy Tale Union to me, more than an immersion. I see the red sash bandits as being our games only operating union of extortion or corruption.

~TL~:rolleyes:

7. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Bridge Trolls are easily tricked and defeated with logic. Not a good monster to have in the game.

From :https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Billy_Goats_Gruff
    The story introduces three male goats, sometimes identified as a youngster, father and grandfather, but more often described as brothers. In other adaptations, there is a baby or child goat, mama goat and papa goat. In any case, there is almost no grass left for them to eat near where they live, so they must cross a river to get to "sæter" (a meadow) or hillside on the other side of a stream in order to eat and fatten themselves up. To do so, however, they must first cross a bridge, under which lives a fearsome and hideous troll, who is so territorial that he eats anyone who tries to cross the bridge.

The smallest billy goat is the first to cross and is stopped abruptly by the troll who threatens to "gobble him up!" However, the little goat convinces the troll to wait for his big brother to come across, because he is larger and would make for a more gratifying feast. The greedy troll agrees and lets the smallest goat cross.

The medium-sized goat passes next. He is more cautious than his brother, but is also stopped by the troll and given the same threat. The second billy goat is allowed to cross as well after he tells the troll to wait for the biggest billy goat because he is the largest of the three.

The third billy goat then gets on the bridge and is stopped by the hungry troll. When the troll threatens to devour him, however, the third billy goat challenges him and knocks the troll off the bridge with his horns. The troll falls into the stream and is carried away by the current. From then on the bridge is safe, and all three goats are able to go to the rich fields around the summer farm in the hills, and they all live happily ever after.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    Time Lord likes this.
  8. Presto

Presto Avatar

Bridge Troll here.... I fear I may spend my entire lifetime correcting this false tale!

Here is how I remember the event...

The Three Billy Goats Ruff and the Innocent Troll

Once upon a time there was a poor troll who had just been evicted from his house. He traveled many days and nights and eventually ended up at a run down bridge. He decided to fix it up. He worked all day and worked all night. After a week, he stood in front of the bridge and was happy.

"This is one marvelous bridge! Why I would pay to cross a bridge as pretty as you. Fa la la la la," sang the happy troll.

But little did the poor troll know was that he had spent all his money on the bridge.

"Now I think I will celebrate with a feast! Now where is that bag of money? Did I spend it all?" asked the troll.

Well of course you did! I already said that.

"Really? I must get my hearing checked, but that doesn't solve and problems. What will I do to get money for food?" Asked the desperate troll.

You could take your own advice and charge...

"I know! I can charge a toll for anyone who wants to cross the bridge. Once I explain my situation, I'm sure no one would mind parting with a couple of bucks to buy me some food," exclaimed the troll.

Uh... sure. Meantime in the meadow conveniently located in front of the bridge, a group of goats held a meeting.

"Look at all that grass on the other side on the river," said the smallest billy goat named Gruff

"And look at the conveniently placed bridge!" Cried the medium sized billy goat named Gruff

"Why I think we should cross that conveniently placed bridge and onto that almost identical patch of grass," cried out the largest billy goat named Gruff.

"And we should each cross at a different time, starting with me," stated the smallest billy goat.

"Why should you go first?" demanded the medium sized billy goat.

"Because I'm the smallest and need the most nourishment," said the smallest billy goat.

"So?" said the largest billy goat.

"And I can say Jambalaya," proclaimed the smallest goat.

"Good point," the other two agreed.

"And I shall go second," said the medium sized billy goat

"Why should you go second?" Demanded the largest billy goat.

"Because 3 is your lucky number," said matter-of-factly.

"Good Point," said the recently enlightened largest billy goat gruff.

As you can see, the 3 billy goats, whose names are all Gruff, are not the smartest goats on the block but they can be tricky when they put there mind to it.

"Be quiet up there! We're conspiring!" Yelled the largest billy goat.

Sorry. And so the smallest billy goat went up to the bridge.

The smallest billy goat started across the bridge. Trip. Trap. Trip. Trap. Trip. Trap. Trip. Trap.

The troll heard the patter of hooves and went to investigate.

"Actually I heard you say some thing about the clatter," the troll pointed out.

Well then, the troll heard the narrator mention a clatter and went to investigate.

"Who is that clattering upon my wonderful bridge?" demanded the troll.

"It is I the smallest billy goat named Gruff."

"I'm sorry to say I must take a tax from you. I have no food because I spent all my money fixing the bridge."

"Well of course you'll get the toll. My brother who is coming next has an even bigger wallet. He will give twice the amount you would get from me!"

"Well all right as long as I have food I don't care."

So the smallest billy goat trip-trapped his way across the bridge. The 2nd billy goat named Gruff started across the bridge.

The medium sized billy goat named Gruff started to cross the bridge. Trip. Trap. Trip. Trap. Trip. Trap.

The troll heard the patter of hooves and went to investigate.

"Actually I still can't hear them, but thanks again for the tip," said the grateful troll.

The Narrator told the troll that he heard the patter of hooves and should go to investigate.

"Thanks. Now who is that clattering on my bridge?" the troll asked.

"I am the billy goat called Gruff," said the medium sized goat.

"I'm sorry to say I must take a tax from you. I have no food because I spent all my money on the bridge."

"Well of course you'll get your toll. My brother is coming and he will pay 4 times as much as I could."

"Well all right as long as I get money for food I don't care."

So the billy goat trip-traped his way across the bridge. Then the largest billy goat called Gruff started across the bridge.

The largest goat stamped stomped his way across the bridge

The troll heard the stomping and went to investigate...did you hear me?

"Actually I heard the hooves. They were quite loud. I think I'll go investigate. Now who is that stomping on my beautiful bridge?" demanded the troll.

"It is I, the billy goat named Gruff," said the largest billy goat.

"Your brothers promised me 4 times the amount of toll owed to me. My stomach can't take it any more."

"Well I don't have the money."

"Then I'm afraid you can't cross on this bridge then."

"Well yes I will."

The largest billy goat named Gruff charged at the troll and knocked him into the river. The troll floated away, never to see his beloved bridge again. The 3 billy goats named Gruff ate and ate and ate. By the time they were done eating, they little hooves barely reached the ground. They spent the rest of the week in pain and misery from their indigestion.

The end!

Spoon and Time Lord like this.
  9. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Love the story. But honestly we have enough Thursen from Utgard.
    I like @Time Lord idea of groups of bandits like the red sash bandits.
    And we get more Story's about different Bandit or Mercenaries groups in New Britannia who try to deprive the travellers.

We already have Red Sash, Ulfheimer and there was another group of villains I do not remember exactly

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.