A bunch of questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by troymac, May 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. troymac

troymac Avatar

I have a "deed" to a 2 story rustic house where can I place it and should I ? I dont have a lot of gold so paying "taxes" is not good now...

Will we ever get titles like we had in UO ?

How do you tell the difference between a player town and NPC town IN GAME?
    Is there any way to turn off NPC "voice sounds"...seriously the "youhoos" are killing me as I walk through town.

Where can I get a "metal binding" recipe..Please ?????

Could you possibly have a 100 skill cap in multiple skills ? Like in UO "7 GM" crafter...

Also how do you increase Strength and Dex ...only through the skill tree ? Or do "activities" build them..

I chop wood and mine all day...I dont see my STR going up.. ?

Another question....When I talk with the NPC blacksmith there isnt the "repair" option...I can make "repair" deeds but Im looking for the NPC to repair it...its "greyed" out...or not an option. ANSWERED ... In a different topic ..it says NPC's cant repair...but there is a cut scene thats misleading that says they can but its referring to Players...not very clear there...

Im sure Ill have more after playing tonight..

Thanks to all that reply !

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    Vaentorian and Time Lord like this.
  2. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

I think most npc town if not all will have a label above it, while player run towns do not.

In this game you can be master of all if you dedicate time to it unlike UO with a skillcap.

Yes only through the skill trees and gear, that's why it's not going up while harvesting.

I think titles are in the works and i hope you'll get enough money making opportunities to place your nice home :)

Vaentorian, Time Lord and troymac like this.
  3. Metalocalypze

Metalocalypze Avatar

Welcome aboard. My understanding from memory is you buy the blacksmithing repair kit from the blacksmith and then use a blacksmith crafting station with the recipe + weapon dragged on to the table and then you can click the repair button.

Give that a shot Troymac

Time Lord and troymac like this.
  4. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

5. troymac

troymac Avatar

Yes that was back in 2014......went overseas back now and trying to figure out things, again..

I love and hate this game with equal vigor....sooo frustrating at times....but an incredible time sink for me....

6. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

it gets better, on day 1 sure you wont have gold to blow on taxes, and buy skills, and buy stuff, and by the time you're hitting 3 skull areas, you probably will.

we do have titles, there are a couple you can gain, but, right now titles are something as a whole you're born with or not.. (depending on your account)

when you go in a town it will have "governed by <name of player> they never have a banner over the top.

Mrs Yoohoo can go shove it up her skirt.. she annoys all of us, turn sound down for soltown where between mrs yoohoo and the vomit guy... or ardoris where they are "cowering" but it sounds more like some form of orgy!!

metal bindings recipies are on some blacksmiths, once you have the recipie its easy

most certainly, if you have the time you can GM every skill in all the trees.. if you so wish.

you can get stat items with dex, str, int on them, you can use the str, dex, and int buffs, and you can train the innate skills.. all 3 all add up :)

much as it seems odd, whacking trees and mining... do not seem to effect the combat items..

If you have a repair kit you *can* just drag it to the appropriate item, you will almost cetainly get better results at the crafting table and can work on repair skills to make it even better

7. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Do you have a lot deed and a house deed? To place that specific house you would also need a village lot deed. A lot deed is what you need to place a house and it's what you pay taxes on. A house deed is what you use to place a house on your lot and isn't really necessary. (Keep in mind that row lot deeds come with a basic row house already on it, so no need for a house deed unless you want a different type of row house. )

The taxes for a row lot are 500 gold per day. Village is 1000 gold per day. I'm not 100% on town or city but I believe it's 2000 per day for town and I want to say 3500 per day for city, but I could be wrong.

You can buy gold cotos for around 2000 gold right now in game and each one can be used for 3500 gold worth of taxes. So if you use COTO's to pay right now, you can save a little bit.

8. troymac

troymac Avatar

I just have a deed...I was thinking of buying a lot deed from the game store...but and this is a problem Im sure...I wanted a lot in an "NPC" town not a player town..and I think all the lots in the NPC towns are all gone..though I walk through a bunch of NPC towns and see "unclaimed" lots all over the place...and yes 500 gold a day...no way I could keep up with that...at this point.

Adam Crow and Time Lord like this.
  9. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Do you know about the Oracle? If you visit the Oracle and answer the test correctly, it grants you 500 experience and 500 gold each day.

What are the reasons you want to live in an NPC town as opposed to a player owned town?

10. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

There are deeds and there are houses, calling things 'house deeds' is just going to make it more confusing.

It is still possible to obtain place anywhere deeds in-game through the lottery system - you can buy lottery tickets from housing vendors (usually in the same house as the bank). The lottery tickets cost a lot of gold, if you're not ready to be paying 500g a day in taxes then the tickets may be out of your price range. There are plenty of players who will be more than willing to give you a private chest in their house as a base of operations, also, one day, Port may finally introduce room rentals.

Active player owned towns can have benefits, like easy access to a full set of devotionals. I would recommend checking a few of them out before you commit to claiming a lot in an NPC town.

troymac and Time Lord like this.
  11. troymac

troymac Avatar

Yes I do know about Oracle and thank you ..as for NPC towns....honestly..they are drama free...I dont know the "mechanisms" in place to protect people that live in player run towns...what if the town owner just up and quits...do we lose all of our stuff...what if he roles plays a jerk and decides to raise the taxes to some crazy number..I've seen so much griefing in 20 years of online gaming to know when players have control over other players bad things are bound to happen....if Im going to drop $500-600 bucks on a game I want some type of assurance things like this wont happen....I under stand if the game folds....but some other potential jerk player making my life hard for "his" kicks in whats supposed to be a " mainstream fun" environment is not what Im looking for...just my opinion thats all. I used the term mainstream because I know "fun" has a different meaning for different people.

Hence the Trammel vs Felucca debate and Pk's..Ill leave that debate alone...or for another time.

And to comment on Wintermut's comment about deeds and house deeds...Im just reading off what it says "Deed to a 2 story rustic house"...Im still pretty new and using a lot of old UO terms ..sorry.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    Time Lord likes this.
  12. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

There are still plenty of NPC and PRT spots available. NPC towns have story related content in them and quests. PRT's just have the basic amenities and spots to place houses so they are practically empty still at this point.

You should have no problem at all finding a spot if all you want is peace of mind in either of those types of towns. That being said, the player owned towns cost a lot of money and the majority of players take great pride in providing a great place to live. You'll find a much better experience currently in a POT right now in my opinion. I've yet to hear about anyone being kicked out, and if that did happen there are plenty of other great POT's to live in.

If the player that owns the town quit, nothing would happen at all. Everyone that was a resident would just keep on keeping on. There just wouldn't be anyone available to update decorations and buildings in the POT. Also, they are a big investment so at the very least it would probably be sold to another player.

I wouldn't compare the playerbase of UO to SOTA. The players here are much more mature and a lot of things have been put in place to protect players from greifers.

13. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

If the town gets reset (through biome change or after a change of ownership) all your stuff will go to the bank under 'global' (i.e. can be taken out of any bank)

The town owner doesn't control or get any of your taxes.

While I'm sure some players are jerks, most of us are not.

I'd be interested to know where you're reading that from, can you describe it further or post a screenshot?

Luca Xante, Time Lord and troymac like this.
  14. troymac

troymac Avatar

Sure once I get in game I can show you....its in my pack...looks all the other "deed type " stuff...but says and Im just paraphrasing here Deed to a house: Rustic 2 Story...Ill be on later tonight 1700 EST or so.

Time Lord and Wintermute of CoF like this.
  15. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Not sure why any of this matters... but it's a deed, the same icon used for the lot deeds. I understand what you're saying that it is a house and not a deed, but when it isn't placed and in your inventory, I consider it a house deed. I don't care if it says the word deed in the description ;)

16. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

It seems like a lot of your questions have been answered good and I welcome you to SOTA!!!

One key thing I would note to you is that like you, I also played UO as well as all of the Ultimas. This game is not UO and you should not look at it like it was UO. Think of it as a Richard Garriot game that is a blend of UO and stand alone Ultimas. Many arguments on these forums are between people who demand it be UO or demand it be Ultima and it really isn't either. You dunna want to fall into the same trap of you enter the game being disappointing that it didnt live up to what you expected.

I have streams you can watch of what it looks like being a higher level player just running around doing normal stuff, hope it helps:

https://www.twitch.tv/2112starman/videos/all

17. troymac

troymac Avatar

Hey thanks and I understand your point on the UO comparisons but its hard not to want to do that..for many of us its what got us started in online gaming.
    Im just looking to gather craft fight in the beginning . Im still trying to figure out combat decks ....and all that goes with that..but again thanks checking out your twitch stuff now..

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Because it may be a bug, and even if it isn't it may be worth reporting as people are confused enough by housing as it is without getting the terminology confused too.

Don't place too much stock in what the icon looks like, a lot of stuff is using placeholder icons at the moment. We got all in a tizzy a few months back as having the same icon for 'small bag' as for most of the pledge rewards enabled a social engineering exploit.

Time Lord, Adam Crow and troymac like this.
  19. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Good point!

troymac and Time Lord like this.
  20. troymac

troymac Avatar

Ok another question regarding housing......how much room do you have outside after placing a house ...say if I wanted a smaller house then use my land to plant crops...which I dont think are in the game yet or may not even get implemented.(I liked having a farm in Archage)....Also Im wondering should I just buy "a bundle set" that comes with a Tax Free lot..seeing as in game gold is problem for me..real money I have . If I get permission to place a house in a player town do I still have to pay "someone" to live there if I use the tax free housing bundle? Also where did everyone get the +5 crafting stations were they a reward or something ?

Shout out to all those that make the YouTube videos especially the "Strongbow" family guy, they are really helpful. Thank you

Again thanks all for the reply's and advice .

! more thing after watching a bunch of YouTube videos I think Ill relocate from Resolute my acting home-base to Soltown ..I have a bunch of stuff in the bank in Resolute..Im guessing I wont be able to access it in Soltown..correct so Id have to "Uhaul" it all over ?..Yikes

Adam Crow and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.