What makes you a believer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stundorn, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    It also has to do with what you consider that personal success to be ;)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Ravicus Domdred and Vox Aquila like this.
  2. Azzamean

Azzamean Avatar

Peter Thiel investing in something doesn't mean it is a success.

3. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

If it fails, it's a successful thing to learn by ;) But you yourself, must have optimism about what you invest in.
    So why did you invest to gain an account here and what causes you to remain o_O?
    There's allot of other games out there :) What makes this one so special?
    For me it's Lord British and his all star team.

~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  4. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Whatever happens, I have much more respect for those who think big, take risks, and fail miserably, than those who behave like little nippy anklebiters, wishing failure upon everybody else, and then gloating about it when they were right.

Personally, I don't see the value in making prognostications about the game one way or another. It is in a state of continuous improvement, and that's more than can be said about many companies, or people for that matter.

The results will speak for themselves.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  5. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I think it's got (or going to have within the next year or so) what it needs to attract a sufficient player base. Right now it's too easy to notice how many houses have been placed by people who aren't playing yet, and there are still others that didn't have a lot deed pledge who haven't started yet.

So, Post 2 Win? What kind of a win is getting a bunch of likes, anyhow? Can you even sell them via RMT?

Stop leaning on other people's discovery of "good exp spots" and explore. Every update. And decay shouldn't be a significant problem unless you already have a buttload of GMs.

In my case, I switched from a dying MMO (FFXI). I had done almost everything worth doing (except fishing), and the population was dropping. It was time to go, though I still plan to participate in every free week they have (usually twice a year), if only for the fishing.

It basically already is, aside from the one-time cost of the client, which is equivalent to a mere three months or so of a typical MMO. Then they have to work to convince you to throw more money at them, at which they have been getting some practice.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

What makes you a believer?

Nothing! As some of you might already know, I did invest more than $1600 in the development of this game. And I say it again, I am well aware there are other people who invested ten thousands of dollars in SotA. But keep in mind that I'm only interested in the story and in the offline mode. I did this because I have a deep emotional relationship to the Ultima series and the work of Lord British / Richard Garriott. I did it because I have had faith in the promises of the KS campaign.

Now, after several years of development it is time to face the truth. And my sad truth is that I did lost all my faith that this game will ever be the shining diamond which was promised for the KS campaign.

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems that @Lord British has replaced a lot of his longstanding Ultima followers with new people. And this makes me very sad :(

7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:eek: That is the "Achilles Heal" of our SOTA's inspiration! :confused: "indeed and that I totally agree without reservations" :( I still hold a glimmer of hope for our offline to become something truly special, because that spirit in style which was so captivating in the years of Ultima Prime I think is well lacking or substandard to what it could be. Without it, I do feel that our game has not it's deepest soul :( I don't know how else to put it in describing such a failing. But that outlook of mine does provide that last glimmer of hope, because it's such a total empty failure, that there's bound to be something more to put in there. Yet even then, with only moderate additions, or even if they succeed in placing everything online in the offline, I still believe that's an empty way of filling anyone's Ultima Soul o_O So I don't just want more which reflects the online SOTA, I want what any modern Ultima Prime should be!

[​IMG]
    :(~Time Lord~:confused:

8. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Endless releases. That's what gives me hope. Just keep at it and you'll succeed.

9. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

For me it was when I saw her face ....

Verit, Vox Aquila, Stundorn and 7 others like this.
  10. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

If I'm genuinely honest, not much nowadays, unfortunately. Yet, I hold out hope because of what this game COULD BE!

Portalarium needs to do a better job in their messaging (IMHO). The countless statements, releases, announcements of launch dates, what quantifies as a "launch", then the redaction of previous statements, kickstarter promises (Personal Coat of Arms, for example) and just general miscommunication is awful. This is a real problem because it causes such disparate and confusing information to potential new players. It not only looks unprofessional, but possibly even a bit shady, especially to folks just casually following the game, waiting for "launch" (whatever that even means nowadays). I fully appreciate this is not Portalarium's intent but they need to get better in this capacity. Again, only in my opinion.

Here's what I do believe in. I believe that @DarkStarr, @Lord British and the folks at Port really want to make a great game. With that comes a lot of reality and tough decisions, on the business side, to getting the game completed. LB and Starr know that better than anyone. Furthermore, having had the opportunity to meet and chat with them both at SotA Con in B-more, it was obvious how much care and concern they have for making this a success. Whether or not that reality comes to fruition is in their hands and to some extent...ours.

11. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

LOL Awesome! :)

Stundorn, Time Lord, Solazur and 3 others like this.
  12. Elfenwahn

Elfenwahn Avatar

Do you believe in SotA?
    - I am from the eastern part of germany. I am an Atheist. I don't believe.

Do you think playercount will increase, PoTs were filled up and playerdriven economy will rise?
    Do you believe thinks will balance out and SotA becomes a successful online game?
    With 200.000+ players ~1000 online a day?
    - With the current way. No. If they have a very clever marketing idea and polish a hell out of the game, yes.

If yes, why?
    if no, why not?
    - For me currently the actual content is missing. There is quite a lot of sandbox-crafting game. But the actual reason why you should level, craft and house is missing.

I wish i find some likeminded players who have same focus on RP, play at my pace and we just have a good time as a group. But i doubt that will ever happen.
    - Invite me to your next RP exkursion.

I doubt without to make Row Lots available through gameplay and igg the world will fill up.
    - There are row lots in the player market. Especially the PoT ones are affordable. But why should that change something? The cities are full with houses but the players are missing.

And i doubt on a healthy playerdriven economy.
    Crafted gear if it's not +5 or more seems worthless.
    - +5 is easy. Even I can do that. Have two enchants and two masterworks on it. Done. ~30% Chance in total.
    - Less powerful gear is also worth something. But everyone can craft that himself. There is no market for something everyone can craft himself.

What spells is highend gear to high prices but what still less than its really worth.
    - Äh, was?

Why do we believe that in the End things will turn out good in New Britannia?
    - So many believers. :)

Release in November maybe?
    - Actually most of the features are in for EP1. Just missing some more depth in story.

And what should happen to change the hate anf all the ranting against SotA and Portalarium and what if all the backers who jump in after release are dissatisfied and rant too?
    - Hm, good new player experience for nice early reviews. :)

Kaisa, Stundorn and Time Lord like this.
  13. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

I have said this very thing many times before. Instead of posting in a existing thread,a new one gets created about the same topic. The desire to be the Op in discussions must have some magical properties or people won't go looking on where to post. Nothing against the creator of this thread,but how many times can the same old questions be asked and answered by the community?

14. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

Just remember,people who dwell in the past will never be happy with the present. People blame the game and design for not being what the experienced with Ultima. And I always sit here and think,the problem isn't always Shroud,it's the people who can't play without trying to compare apples and oranges. The game should stand on it's own,but people can't seem to keep from reverting back to the "Ultima made me feel this way,but Shroud doesn't" thinking. But it's everyone's choices are their own. I played and finished all the Ultima series,the only thing I didn't play was UO and I am so glad I didn't. From all the negative post there are from former UO players on we don't have this or that,or it doesn't do this like UO,UO was the worst thing for Shroud. Spiritual successor does not mean like UO or like Ultima.

[​IMG]

Stundorn and Time Lord like this.
  15. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

What makes me a believer?

first of all, I understand the concept of risk. Once you understand there is ALWAYS risk in everything, we can move on to something like this game.

Lord British, Darkstarr, Chris, Attenwood, Lum... and so on all believe in this being a success. They are working hard to make it happen. They got involved because they thought they can do something magical.

We're here because we are interested in helping to create that magical world we want to game in. If we believe in it, we'll do the best we can to support it anyway we can. If you don't believe in it, then you should invest in something else. There are plenty of other companies willing to accept help both financial and non financial.

I'm here and have played since r1 because I believe in the possible. Invested a lot more money than I normally would in a project. Submitted bug reports.

You get the idea.

Do I believe?

Well...

I'm still here and am looking forward to the possibility. It could happen exactly as I'm hoping.

If not, I learned something, had a good time doing it and will move on if necessary.

And I hope you all will to :D

16. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

all I know is they must be keeping it close to their vest, because they need to light a fire. and they may be working there tails off. however, seeing many people already making similar looking designs and models.... this game is burdensome to play at the moment. maybe it is just me. The A.I & Camera are the two things that bug me the most. I assume one day all frames will disappear. roll me over when it does. All I know is there is a fleet of game models coming they will have to compete with and they seem to be almost broke. 500k in cash left; so I've read. its ok game, but something is just off, maybe when you lose a pet, the next pet isnt ever going to replace the first pet. All I know as of right now, it is hard to stay in game, less I am extremely motivated.

Kaisa, Time Lord and Cordelayne like this.
  17. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

I, too, feel a deep emotional connection to the Ultima series. And more than that, some of the ideas explored in those games actually help to shape who I am today.

However, that being said, I often get the impression that some people were hoping/expecting for Richard and team to somehow bring back that "magical first kiss" type of feeling. While understandable, I don't really think it is ultimately a fair or reasonable expectation for me to have held on to this whole time.

For one thing, I've grown up. For another thing, so has the gaming industry. As sad and disappointing as it might be, there just is never going to be another "Golden Age" of gaming like there was back then. It wasn't just Origin/Ultima. It was Sierra Online. The original NES...

I don't think it is fair for us to thrust these kinds of expectations to "bring back that feeling" on Richard or the dev team. At the end of the day, we can argue semantics over what the KS did or did not say, however I think it is pretty clear that some people read more into it that was really intended. Perhaps, could the author of the KS have been a bit too superlative? I think yes. Perhaps, did some backers not also perform adequate due diligence before throwing large chunks of money at the game? I think yes.

Cordelayne, fonsvitae and Time Lord like this.
  18. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

what does it mean to fail in life? People struggle only due to the lack of adherence to principles. just because it is true one can lie, it doesn't make it Truth. However, it is a part of truth. If you stay true to principles, you will want for nothing. ;)
    The truth will last forever, but a lie will destroy everything~

Time Lord likes this.
  19. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

I'd love to share my thoughts on why I feel this game failed before persistence even launched last year, but I've literally been threatened with a ban every single time I say something even remotely negative about the future of this game.

I'm shocked this thread got to three pages and wasn't immediately locked.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    Kaisa, Sir Cabirus, Mykll and 2 others like this.
  20. Fruck

Fruck Avatar

Not sure why i decided to pipe in but I suppose Im bored on the road...

I hope this game succeeds, I love it.

That said, its a tough newbie experience for sure, the top 1% have forced changes that mean the bottom 99% have it much tougher. I wouldnt want to be a newbie right now, its exceedingly difficult and getting worse with each patch. Its a real tough spot for the game to be in with a few having soooooo much and newbies having nothing.

I think for POTs to really succeed they need to drop the price of the lots significantly and the rent as well. I dont see a downside to this to be honest. House ownership is a huge thing to lock people in to the game.

I also feel, opposite to many others apparently, that the devs listen and are developing in the games best interest. I wouldnt want to be a dev on this game, cant make everyone happen and many people have very strong opinions. Im not just kissing ass, I know the software industry and these guys are doing well.

Why I feel this game will succeed ultimately is the community. Its fantastic... Ive meet so many fantastic people in this game willing to help and give advice or run events. Its really amazing.

gtesser, Stundorn and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.