Change game engine if kickstarter does well enough

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mostlyhuman, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mostlyhuman

mostlyhuman Avatar

We all have our opinions about graphic quality, but I personally would very much like to see the vision for this game realized on an engine better than Unity. Would you guys consider changing engines to perhaps the Unreal engine or Cryengine if money permits? I can tell the ideas in the game are amazing but I am having trouble getting other people excited about it because of the...graphic fidelity. The Kickstarter is going to rake in way way more than the goal and a better engine would create wider appeal, lead to more sales and give a good cushion for future projects. Just my opinion, hope and suggestion ;)

2. CorboUK

CorboUK Avatar

You can't really judge the finished quality of the graphics based on demos 1.5 years before scheduled release. I'm impressed it looks as good as it does already. I'd be happy if this game was isometric tile based, just to be able to play a new LB game :)

3. Valandur

Valandur Avatar

The videos available now are from a "tech demo" and don't reflect the graphics we will likely end up seeing with SOTA. Unity is a pretty good engine, a number of companies are using it for their MMO's, Pathfinder Online being one. Again though, the videos out now from PFO don't reflect the gameplay graphics so you really can't judge anything based on what's out now.

4. Nemisis Dragon

Nemisis Dragon Avatar

It's not always about the engine, it's about HOW well you use the tools to make it look awesome.

But I agree, the visuals of SotA have to improve immensive to make it competitive to other Kickstarter projects. I'm not comparing it with AAA tiltes like Skyrim.

5. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

Unity is a great engine and serves the cross-platform aims of the project handily. Plus, it's cheaper to license and the Unity asset store is amazing, with lots of systems, tools, and resources available for not a heck of a lot of cost. Unity is a great engine for a small indie studio to use if the aim is to turn out a good-quality game in a relatively short spam of time and at a lower cost. There's no need to jump to Unreal or CryEngine for a project like this, any more than there is need for Obsidian to do so for their Project Eternity RPG, which was successfully Kickstarted last year.

6. Rossum

Rossum Avatar

Unity is an awesome game engine. Nothing beats its combination of low cost, ease-of-use, cross-platform compatibility and community support. They would be fools to choose anything else at this juncture, frankly. The current visuals are not at all a result of the engine, but rather, the fact that it's a prototype, not a completed game.

7. Arcantis

Arcantis Avatar

Unity is a toy, it is kilometers away to be a good game engine. While it's in the right direction this engine is more marketing then substance.
    I use Unity, I made several project with it, it's always all shiny and toony but after you scratch the surface you realize how limited this engine is.
    But I'm a Linux user so Unity is very welcome if I can have the game for Linux.

8. Hemlawk

Hemlawk Avatar

The game has to be able to play on a tablet. It can't be to graphically intense.

9. Liz

Liz Avatar

I think the whole tablet thing was dropped. They changed that philosophy and now state that SOTA is a pure PC game.

However I think the tech demo was created with tablets still in mind.

So we don't need a engine change, many good games are made with Unity (Wasteland 2 too), we need a full commitment for PC!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.