map

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Knoote, Dec 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knoote

Knoote Avatar

He, i got a question i cannot find the answer to.

If it travel from town to town.. will i automaticly go to the overland map, or can i walk seamless in 3rd person to that other town?

In some gameplay video's i see a map with the player walking. But i also see player character in huge forests.

Can someone tell me?

Also, i have to wait until i get paid this month. I will pledge explorer for 140 dollar by then.

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

You'll go to the overland map to travel between locations. They may have mentioned possible exceptions (such as travelling through the catacombs) but for the most part.. when you leave an instance you go to the overland map..

3. Sean

Sean Avatar

so there wont be any going out into the forest to gather and pick herbs for example?

4. grnarrow

grnarrow Avatar

There definitely will be. The overland map is a hex grid, and each hex represents a scene. So let's say you're in the scene that contains the town of Owl's Head. When you leave town you get put on the overland map on the hex for that scene. From there you can travel to any of the other hexes, many of which will undoubtedly be forest scenes. When you get to the hex where you want to explore, you reenter the world, and now you're in a forest where you can search for herbs, or cut some lumber, or kill some kobolds, or find a dungeon, or whatever that scene has to offer.

Sean and rild like this.
  5. Sean

Sean Avatar

Ok i see so its like fast travel?

6. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

No, the method of going from 1 hex to the other hasn't been decided, it may well include fast travel or teleporting etc but right now all we know is that you leave a town and go in to the overworld, once there you have to walk anywhere you want to go, it could be one 'hex' or it could be 50 but each hex has the potnential to be a particular scene like a forest. So if you are in your house in Britanny you need to exit that instance, walk/ride/fly whatever to the appropriate tile, then enter that instance. What you cant do right now is click a button and go from britanny to a forest, you have to go to the map (like ff7)

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

Actually, yes and no. Maybe call it "faster" travel.

Kilhwch likes this.
  8. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I am really interested in this whole overhead map topic myself. On one hand it is nice that it's faster travel on the overhead map because you are moving about as fast as if you were treking thru a world where you didn't see a map...I wonder if they have thought about making it a bit slower than we see in the videos...like the speed you would actually move if you were in the zone getting thru to the other side of the zone...

I am also thinking it would add value to marked runes because you could mark a hex that is perhaps hard to find as it's a random instance...Tho I think small info has been said on marking runes etc...it does need to tie in somehow to the overland map...

I do not like slow travel myself, but I would like a sense of reality when it comes to travel. If you are trekking the length of a 5 mile hex in 2 seconds on the overhead map it seems less immersive and unreal...Perhaps it won't be that way because I don't know the space a hex holds...Just wondering aloud here...

9. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

We are kinda stuck with the dual map thing, I was watching an old video from Dom John with some ideas for making the overhead map a bit more immersive. Sounds like some of these thoughts were incorporated into the current thinking.

Looking forward to tinkering with it in the coming months :)

derek6665 (Baldrith) likes this.
  10. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

Somewhat disappointing from a solo play perspective. I would have hoped for something more Ultima7 where the world is one continuous scroll and you just have to hoof it from point A to B or use something like moongates to quick travel between key nodes.

11. Maka

Maka Avatar

I think we have to see more before we can really make a call. If there are say 10 hexes between town A and town B. I don't see why we couldn't walk through those 10 hexes to get from a to b. Too soon to tell.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. smack

smack Avatar

Earlier in the Kickstarter campaign, they mentioned that you can walk from one end of the continent to the other in several minutes using the overland map. So yes, it is "faster travel" and not instant fast travel like Skyrim's map. That was just their guestimate and has no real bearing on reality, however. They've been quiet on the dual scale map system since then so we'll just have to wait and see what it looks like in the subsequent Early Releases if we're lucky.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.