Control Point confusion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gix, Jul 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gix

Gix Avatar

I just read the tooltip on Control Points and it states that either Enemy NPCs or Avatars can control it. If Avatars control it, more enemies spawn to take the Control Point.

So what's the point of Avatars controlling the point if it's just going to send more enemies your way? Isn't that a lose-lose scenario?

A town siege feels like a better "Control Point" than Control Points; because eliminating the siege not only yields you some reward (which I guess Control Points still do to some extent), but it opens up the path for everyone (including yourself) to and from the town... until the town is sieged again.

From a player's perspective, Control Points are for grinding and Town Sieges help others.

2. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

It is kind of weird that you cant win a control point for any reasonable amount of time. However, you can control the doors to the CP loot chests after a time. Its a start, I hope they build on that.

Sentinel2 likes this.
  3. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I've always thought it was strange the way that control points work too. The way that it works now, passing through is usually more dangerous when players control the pass.

Gix likes this.
  4. mikedeathdealer

mikedeathdealer Avatar

RIP Control Points. Was the best group content in the game. Sad that they are all now ghost "town" scenes.

Adam Crow and Cordelayne like this.
  5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

to bad players look at things from a one sided pint of view, and then they are abused.

CPs are supposed to have doors that open after each level to give a minor reward for each tier beaten.

Tier 6 was supposed to be like the sieges with some kind of champion and a 6th level opened.

But since players abused the mechanic and the devs just gave up trying to make it work (it did not make them $) they have just sat idle.

But yeah you can buy pretty mushrooms . . . .

Since all players want to do is abuse systems to control some part of the market and CPs do not offer anything anymore . . . .

Tower of Shuttered Eye, weakend to oblivion, waste of effort; how many more areas are going to follow the same pattern ? Sieges are soon to follow - already an abundance of their rewards in game

6. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

It is telling that an event that just threw wave after wave of enemies at the players was considered the best content in the game. Most efficient exp gain surely, but content?

7. Gix

Gix Avatar

It's not even a question of rewards.

I'm sharing @Lazlo 's thoughts on the issue. Town Sieges prevent players from easily accessing the town (and would eventually/potentially influence the town's services) so clearing the sieges has benefits beyond the material gains of the ones participating.

Control Points prevent players from easily accessing through other parts of the world which, in turn, can influence the economy of the various regions. I tend to stay within one side of the world because I can't be bothered traversing it, which I believe is by design. As far as I can tell, you can't "clear" a Control Point. Controlling it doesn't make traversing it any easier (for people like me) nor does it allows particular groups of people simpler trading routes.

Sadly yes.

Cordelayne and Lazlo like this.
  8. mikedeathdealer

mikedeathdealer Avatar

It really was!! Even when it was nerfed (Slower Wave Spawns, More HP and Harder Hitting, Disabled the Chests, Less Exp). Everyone had a BLAST and ENJOYED spending time for a few hours a night. We all look forward to logging on each day even tho it was nerfed from the many previous versions of the CP's. Hey we didn't get our lil under a mil an hour anymore with a full party.. But we did feel rewarded having a full GROUP and getting around 500-600k. Where can you go right now and obtain decent exp in a FULL group that makes it feel rewarding? I can't think of any area that does so and that is a PROBLEM!! It has been hurting guilds and the playerbase ten fold without anything rewarding for group play. The penalty for having a full group and the spawn rates of scenes are bad. People want to play an MMORPG and group up with friends, guildies and have fun while being rewarded for doing so. Sorry but the only thing i see people grouping up for is a boring dragon and pheonix.. Even that gives you crap loot and such bad exp it's just not worth the time and effort.

9. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

There is a control point you can 'win'. I forget where it is.. Once you complete all the waves it just stops.

10. mikedeathdealer

mikedeathdealer Avatar

Yes they turned all CP"s into this.. You can get up to the last wave.. THen after 3 waves of the fully ramped up and doesn't spawn a "Mini" Boss.. You must leave the scene and wait for it to reset.. <--- worst mechanic ever... Such a waste of time... Rather spend my time at a dance party..

monkeysmack likes this.
  11. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I'm sure they will do something to bring them back at some point. But I think they got put on the back burner for now until they can figure out what to do with them. Personally I think the semi-nerfed version of them was much better than having them practically useless, like they are now. Hopefully we get some fun and meaningful group content from them eventually.

12. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

Is this because it is one of the few things a high level group could do that had both challenge and rewards? Would it have been as fun if they had kept ramping up instead of leveling off? Each wave has another mob with a couple percent more hitpoints and DPS such that any group will eventually get overwhelmed. Without dropped loot the reward part is really tough for them to do but an encounter like that which is capped in either a retreat or death they can balance the exp reward for. (The wave count would have to be reset daily so it couldn't be reset farmed with a retreat after wave X)

13. Xkhan

Xkhan Avatar

All-
    I came into the game after Control Points were changed. I have experienced the ones at Superstitious Canyon and Brightbone Pass - where are the others? Seems like it would still be a fun thing for a group to try and do.

I didn't see any chests - so the purpose is to get to the other side / unlock the doors right? Or just survive?

Thanks!

Damian Killingsworth likes this.
  14. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

The chests are in the nearby buildings with doors that only open after wave completion. I think there were five chests in each of the two areas I did CP content in, and each chest gave individual loot for each player. You didn't even have to be part of the group killing stuff; at the height of their "popularity", one party would be there to kill stuff and grind XP, while the other party would be running between the chests as the doors opened. The looters needed to be in a party to ensure that you could get back in after leaving to unload loot, rather then being put in a fresh instance to avoid crowding.

Xkhan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.