barding?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Sean, Dec 10, 2013.

?

Would you like to see barding in this game?

1. yes

19 vote(s)
    86.4%
  2. no

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean

Sean Avatar

One of my favorite aspects of UO was barding and the skills it involved!!! Anyone hear of anything that might hint that those skills will be implemented into SotA?? Barding is very important to me and i would love to be able to use those skills in this game :)

Poxy Threefinger and Kuno Brauer like this.
  2. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Good candidate for some future expansion.

3. Kuno Brauer

Kuno Brauer Avatar

If there are "bards" of a sort, I'd also like to see them play a role somewhat similar to the function that entertainers/dancers served in SWG.

In that game, going to a cantina and "watching" or "listening" to an entertainer could give you inspirations ("buffs") like increased XP gain. It was also a means to change in-game appearance (including skins that weren't available during character creation).

This gave players a reason to stop by cantinas and take some time out from adventuring to socialize and interact with "non-combatant" players, which was a boon for RP and crafting/service-based players.

Just imagine logging in, getting ready to head out and go adventure, but while you wait for a friend to join you, you stop for 5min. at The Bear Tavern for entertainer buffs, food/drink buffs, and good company. :)

The only thing that would make it better is if instruments were "playable" to the point that players could play/listen to real compositions as part of the interplay (even if its by means of notating the music and playing it as a script).... Then, while allowing the "inspiration" boon to build up, you could literally be listening to whatever song the PC bard decided to play... it would sure beat listening to the same handful of tracks every time (see: Artistic Musicianship and LOTR music: Themes from Ultima as examples of what I mean).

4. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

Here's what we know:
    • Piano and Lute are confirmed
    • Instruments will be playable (in some way)
    • Sheet music will be available
    Personally, I doubt that will see bardic arts as skills, but that doesn't mean that you can't develop real skills on your in-game piano.

5. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

If you look at the crafting tree in Darkstarr's post the ability to make instruments is there.

6. Sean

Sean Avatar

To clarify, i was mentioning barding in terms of being able to peacemake and provoke not necisarily play music just for fun lol

Kuno Brauer likes this.
  7. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

I was just stating that the means for making the instruments needed were in game.

8. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

This is probably the most up to date source of some Bardic discussion.

It is a long(but most excellent) video though, hope you have some time on your hands. I'm at work, so I can't watch and link in the specific parts which you have referenced in the OT being discussed. Sorry for that!

Kuno Brauer likes this.
  9. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

@17:00: Q and A with Darkstarr about music:
    Q: In Ultima Online, there were specific bard skills, musicianship, provocation, and peacemaking. We're kind of curious if there is going to be similar skills in SotA.
    A: We definitely want to honor the bardic traditions we've done in previous titles. For Ep. 1, gameplay related to music will be pretty limited. Most of the work we're going to do for music will be for roleplay and entertaining your friends. The actual bardic skills will be in a later episode.

deryk, Kuno Brauer and Sean like this.
  10. Sean

Sean Avatar

Ty! This is awsome news... i at least have a few skills to hopfully look forward to as the game progresses

11. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

If you mean bardic music as MAGICK, giving abilities that can be used in combat, I don't think we've heard anything confirming that.

12. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

Check out AvatarAcid's link for info on that. Bardic skills are confirmed for a later episode.

MalakBrightpalm likes this.
  13. Bayard2

Bayard2 Avatar

Thanks Mordecai, Tha'ts good to know. I used to be a peace tamer and it was always a help since I solo a lot.

14. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

So come on now bards, who is going to sing me a song? Make it about me, it it is always about me!

Sean likes this.
  15. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Why oh why does everyone leave out the most important UO barding skill Discordance????

That makes me want to PK someone!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir Avorin Swftslay and Orladin like this.
  16. Orladin

Orladin Avatar

Disco was the my favorite! Disco = make everything deader faster. Pvm wise my disco/tamer/mage could drop Paragon Ancient Wyrms, Skeletal Dragons and Balrons via Normal Dragon and Nightmare combo. Without breaking a sweat. I never had the chance to try Greater Dragons. Was too lazy/didn't care to tame or buy one.
    I got some pretty awesome Jewels back in the good old days. Disco was especially nice if you had a Necro pal who tossed a raise dead spell at high fame Dragon corpses.

17. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I just hope that if they do barding they make it more fun than in UO. I just couldn't stand that it was so difficult to be a bard when the powers were so... average compared to Magery or Swordsmanship. No good magic items or instruments.

I much preferred bards in say, Rifts.

18. Orladin

Orladin Avatar

Had an associate try and get me into Rifts. I just kind of watched him play it and give me a general outline of it. Have you taken a look at the newer Bard abilities in UO. Specializations and Bardsongs? They're pretty interesting and added a "pure bard" playstyle. They more or less copy/pasted bard abilities from every Mmo on the planet. Too little too late I suppose.
    Bards in Final Fantasy 11 were always awesome to have. I'd take a bard in the group over any other extra DPS just for those party wide buffs. They're pretty awesome in Dungeons and Dragons online as well. A good bard can turn a very difficult quest into lets blow through this map in 20 minutes.

Ned888 likes this.
  19. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I'm with you on this. I love to play support and heals a lot. I was always a Defender (Kinetic/Rad) in CoH and I got a big kick out of making my team better than they were. I think Bards are suited to this role in a game and I'd like to see a way to bring one together. I wonder if I can work my character a bit to have spells and abilities that mimic the role. I can't wait to see! :D

Sir Avorin Swftslay likes this.
  20. Orladin

Orladin Avatar

I'm sure RG and Co will throw it in there sooner or later. He has a lot on his plate right now as it is. I'll throw you any spell channeling instruments I come across until then :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.