Please include proper singleplayer mode!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Harmonica, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harmonica

Harmonica Avatar

Hi!

English is not my native language, so I apologize if I use incorrect expressions.

Ultima 4-7 are some of the best games I've ever played.
    The virtue concept is unique and Britannia is probably the best world I've ever seen in a video game. The continuity between the games and how the world changes is something you rarely see in video games. When I play through 4-7 it's an epic journey and I get attached to the world and characters. These were games that actually meant something to me and I still regard them high.

I don't want to be negative but from what I gather, Shoud of the Avatar is an MMO with somekind of singleplayer mode. Im concerned about this because same rules don't apply with MMO and singleplayer. They are two totally different concepts. Most MMOs are mindless grinding with shallow storylines and that's something Im not interested. I know Richard Garriott could make another Ultima 4, but at this point SotA certainly doesn't look like that.

Im still waiting for more information how the singleplayer mode will be implemented. I would like to pledge for old times sake, but if the game will be a singleplayer game with MMO design, Im not going to pledge. If the singleplayer mode will be anything like older Ultima games, the game will be something I've been expecting many years.

Either way, Im glad to see Lord British is back!

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  2. KFC

KFC Avatar

Yeah this needs clarification - some people conisider SotA as an MMO with singleplayer elements, and we are informed that it will be an singleplayer experience - BUT updates focus on the multiplayer(MMOish) elements of gaming, thats really confusing.
    I'd like also to see a true singleplayer experience not some kind of hybird with mmo and instances.

3. lord_Oo_I_oO

lord_Oo_I_oO Avatar

Negative ...do away with sp mode!

4. maleficum

maleficum Avatar

As i mentioned in my topic online single player would be best solution.if you dont want to play with other people stay in single player.if u want mmo experience.. just connect to public server.everybody happy

5. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

This has already been explained. It's an offline-capable single player game, with opt-in multiplayer that is between groups of mutual friends and contacts. There isn't a central server.

6. maleficum

maleficum Avatar

Ok.so what about the part that "we build this game together with u guys"? if all the building so far is limited to yes/no questions/answers?
    And during the stream we got information that you are not gonna play only with mutual friends.

7. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

Eh, fair enough, Garriott did talk about the possibility of multiplayer incorporating strangers too. But the point is that in the end, that whole side of the game is something we opt in to, rather than something forced upon us.

8. slamelov

slamelov Avatar

SO, is it something ike Neverwinter Nights multiplayer?.

9. AvengerDr

AvengerDr Avatar

But apart from housing, taming and crafting, what else do we know about single player elements?
    Someone asked about the party in the sp mode. RG said you can hire henchmen (read NPCs without any characterization) or offline versions of your friends as NPCs. He said the companions from the old Ultima might be around the game world.

Will they be fully characterized? What will set them apart from henchmen?

What about quests? Dungeon puzzles? These are some of the things they should address in the next updates.

10. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

The comparison to NWN is probably not a bad one.

11. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

I am of the opinion, that you will be able to remove the network cable from your computer and shut down the internet and still be able to complete the game.

Am I wrong? If I am not, how much more single player does it get than that??

12. BK_

BK_ Avatar

I am pretty sure they said in one of the Live that one HAS to be connected to the Internet in order to play SotA aka Diablo III something like that.

13. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

When I interviewed him, Garriott said that he wanted to be able to play the game on his tablet on an airplane, an environment in which one doesn't typically expect to find an Internet connection.

I interpret this to mean that @AvatarAcid is essentially correct: you can unplug and keep playing, but if you're opted in to the persistent world features, these will update for you once you connect again (and will otherwise remain static as of their last sync).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.