Any details on SOTA's Player Driven Economy? Where player items are the main source of loot in-game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Casey McCormick, Aug 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Casey McCormick

Casey McCormick Avatar

I'm curious about player items being the main source of loot found in the game. Is this still a focus or being shelved? Cos I have not heard about it being mentioned by the devs for some time. If being shelved, any reason why?

From the "About SOTA" page on the SOTA website:

Player Driven Economy:
    Deep crafting system where the best items are made by players and player items are the main source of loot found in the game.

smack and AvatarGG like this.
  2. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Well my initial impression would be how can you have a player driven economy when everyone can do anything..... no skill caps etc. Why should i buy X from XXX if i can do it myself. Unless i despise crafting (which i generally do) but even then resources and crafting is easily obtained from friends in game at little to no cost in most cases. If your in a guild almost guaranteed. Maybe if reource areas could be controlled VIA PvP that would change things.

3. Casey McCormick

Casey McCormick Avatar

Why not? A player driven economy is possible.

I disagree with your statement that resources are easily obtained. Resources is obtained at a cost - which is the lengthy amount of time needed to harvest the resource and the relatively large amount of resources needed to craft the best quality weapons and armor.

Also some people don't want to craft because of the high cost involved in terms of time needed to level the crafting skill and/or because of the time needed to gather the resources needed.

Daigoji Gai likes this.
  4. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

IMO, crafters will never sell items to an NPC unless there's a profit in doing so, this was the planned way of getting the items into the loot system... Since there's no variance in the quality of items made (yet), there's no reason to sell, but every reason to salvage...

The other way was to have mobs loot a dead player one 1 item, and nobody liked that idea...

Korim Rackham likes this.
  5. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

This was the case until artifacts were introduced. My guess is crafting best items in the game is still on the table...they just been busy doing other stuff and crafting got tossed aside....

FrostII likes this.
  6. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

This is still the case for most equipment slots. Mage type characters do have more artifact options than most though. Artifacts are very niche and they *make* builds. The rest of the gear surrounding that artifact is still all crafted, as much as I wish it wasn't the case and mobs dropped "magic" armor/weapons.

Lord Andernut likes this.
  7. Ingot Knucklesmith

Ingot Knucklesmith Avatar

This ^^^
    If I can help it, I will never buy anything from anyone. I will just craft it.

MrBlight and Korim Rackham like this.
  8. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

If it means anything, I know a lot of people that don't like crafting at all and purely adventure.

9. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Indeed, but my guess is these people source their items from a close friend or guild, so how does that contribute to a player economy as a whole? Based on personaly experience these items are usually provided by said players to the adventurer at little to no cost.

I would guess the only exception to his would be brand new players whom dont know anyone, but i think we already know new blood isnt exactly a strong suit for SOTA right now.

10. Animosh

Animosh Avatar

I dont know about you but players provided all the loot for portalarium and the seed invest. since it was cash it was the best loot too

11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Stundorn likes this.
  12. oplek

oplek Avatar

I'll usually make my own decorations, but I find the equipment made by others to be reasonably priced, and I'll only try to make/enchant my own if I can't find a suitable item from someone else. At this point, I'm happy to let someone deal with the crafting of equipment for me.

It's the price of raw materials, that people try to sell for, that blow my mind. 45g for a unit of wood? I'll give you 8g. That's still more than you'd get in a shop.

cartodude likes this.
  13. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Personally from start i made 90% stuff myself. Problem was i also made enough for me and probly 5 others. So i undercut pure crafters.

Late late game.. its more becsuse im just lazy that i get a guildy to do most things.. not that i need more then 1 or 2 things every month lol.

Unless your one of the guys who gmed the trade, masterwork, specialty, enchanting and specialty.. your probly hard pressed to actually make money when competing with people who are self sufficient making some extras as they go just to undercut u.

Im not willing to devote 3000+ hours in gathering crafting exp jist to get to that competitive point where i MIGHT pull a profit.. when i can use those hours to just continue leveling and selling artifacts n just making general gold as i go.

All the power to people trying to craft.. but i know a few guys who are on their push of 120 of everything atm... and they will own the market for a while till the average self sufficient person closes the gap.

Im also not exaggerating btw.

Id rather make 10k+ an hour farming for that time. Or even 7-8k just selling raw mats to rmt hungry people.
    The RNG in crafting pissis me off too much.

Edit-

I said it months ago .. i dont understand a player driven economy when everyone can be self sufficient. Even if 1/20 people are pure crafters.. and 9/20 people only buy things.. that other 10/20 self sufficient people are just natuallu making excess gear as well.
    Pure crafters cant compete with a self sufficient persons excess gear. And that self suffcient persons average crafted gear power will just keep raising... closing that gap that makes crafters special.

I hate crafting and i so very little. Yet im gm carpentry and can make my own double masterworked bows. Next time i craft ill be doing tripples. Hard pressed for crafters to get enough of a lead where i can justfy buying something.

Imo .. sota isnt crafter friendly.. and hasnt been since persistance.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  14. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

Pinky nailed it - disagree with Korim's assessment also. HIGH COST - Which is why I picked 2 crafting areas that IMHO felt like they were in-character for my Avatar and abandoned the rest. I rather be adventuring, ridding the world of Obsidian Cultists and solving the riddles of New Brittania than chopping down trees. The cost of "doing everything" and crafting your own items is an extreme venture (time x resources x patience)...

15. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

How does this work in offline mode? There are no other players who could craft items. Where do we find better loot and where does it come from? Magically appearing by copying it from the multiplayer game? I would prefer cool legendary items we can find as loot in ruins and dungeons etc. just like it is in any other single-player RPG.

16. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

I can def appreciate your view, and thank you for disagreeing.... so just to make sure i understand what your saying. youve purchased most if not all your adventure gear and spend money on a regular bases at random vendors?(think UO) If thats the case i think your def the exception... how long have you been playing? Are you social? Do you play single player only? in a guild? Just curious. WHen i last played i had some of the best gear that could be crafted+enchanted. Multiple sets, made for free or next to nothing. However i was pretty social, and only played multi player online.

Im of the opinion if you are currently breaking the bank buying gear off vendors in game, your doing it wrong. Ask around people you know im 99.9% sure they will get you going/keep you going for free or next to nothing.

MrBlight and Daigoji Gai like this.
  17. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

When I first arrived in the game, every single player I met was trying to recruit me in their guild, I was showered with the best equipment I could have never made myself... after a week I had good enough equipment to play for half a year without needing to buy anything but consumables from the player market...

18. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

It's a strange model for sure... I even have unbreakable founder plate to train my skills without worry...

Why did we need to reinvent the wheel ? UO had a player market that yes was striken with inflation because bad design decisions, but its still going even with all the hacking it was subjected to.

Some days I feel like we're guinea pigs in a maze...

19. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

Yes sir, that is part of the fun, especially the care many of the top craftspeople* on the server put into making their shops feel rich and lively!

I regularly visit player towns to see what vendors are offering. Because of the random element assigned to gear creation, I often find myself scouring the continents to see, "hmm, wonder if this guy has something a little better." That and with so many furniture and house deco options, which I myself wouldn't have time to hunt down all the mats and recipes (especially since recipes are more scattered now), all of my non-reward furniture, my custom set of armor, and all of my bows I have purchased from players. The only thing I raised a bit was leatherworking and carpentry so I could make my own arrows for the hell of it (though, it is cheaper to buy them from vendors. I just like the RP idea that I'm a true ranger-like character that can, in a pinch, make do from the land.)
    I truly love the fact you can't buy some uber diety-killing sword from the shop, and the best gear comes from committed players that mastered their crafts.

What I buy off player vendors now almost daily/weekly:
    * Food and potions
    * Scrolls
    * Furniture (I make weekly trips to look for something new, and I always feel like I do find unique, cool stuff)
    * Armor and Weapons

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  20. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I'm also going to add the elephant in the room that no one is talking about.

How does a cooking or alchemy crafter who doesn't have a lot of RL money to buy lots compete with those that have, basically, the equivalent to a megacorp amount of land to plant reagents and food on?

MrBlight likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.