Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Responded] Chaos Bolt triggering COVER based on caster movement AFTER projectile was fired

Discussion in 'Combat, Skills, & Magic' started by Filter Bubble Algorithm, Sep 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Filter Bubble Algorithm

Filter Bubble Algorithm Avatar

9/27/2017 9:04 AM
    Title: Chaos Bolt triggering COVER based on caster movement AFTER projectile was fired
    Reproduction Rate: 5/5
    Blocker? no
    Details: user can cast a Chaos Bolt at max range and then move behind cover to trigger COVER FOR THE TARGET, even thought projectile had a clear path
    Steps to Reproduce:
    1. log in
    2. unlock Chaos Bolt
    3. find a stationary target and cover to be used by user
    4. cast Chaos Bolt at mob from max range -> AFTER Chaos Bolt is completed casting, move to cover
    5. notice mob receives cover even though there was none in projectile path
    Note:
    1. This also can be used in reverse, casting from cover and then moving outside of cover before projectile hits to get full damage even thought projectile passes through cover like butter

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300HQ CPU @ 2.30GHz (4) System RAM: 8055
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M GPU RAM: 2019
    SotA.EarlyAccess.QA.Win.64.557.Date.09.26.17
    Area: SiegeEncounter_Hills01_Road/POT_alpine_metropolis_01_template/Beran's Reach
    Area Display Name: Hills Siege
    Loc: (-112.1, 80.2, 17.5)
    Debug: U2llZ2VFbmNvdW50ZXJfSGlsbHMwMV9Sb2FkfFBPVF9hbHBpbmVfbWV0cm9wb2xpc18wMV90ZW1wbGF0ZS9CZXJhbidzIFJlYWNofCgtMTEyLjA5OSwgODAuMTg4LCAxNy41MDgpfCgwLCAwLjcyOCwgMCwgMC42ODUpfC0xMzQ2LjUzOXwxNC4yMDQ0NXw4LjUxMjI5OA==

2. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

@Filter Bubble Algorithm
    This is expected behavior. If you were not under cover when the projectile hits, you will still be hit by it. Same as if an enemy starts a cast on you (like teleporting you) and you run behind a door.

3. Filter Bubble Algorithm

@Lexie
    I am not getting hit by the projectile, my target is. The problem with chaotic bolt, stone arrow, ice arrow, flame arrow and fireball is that the projectiles are slow moving and are responding to the cover mechanic AFTER they have been launched and I, the CASTER, moved into cover, while my target stayed stationary. If this is expected behavior, it is gross and disgusting and can be extremely exploited. For instance, firing a fireball from immunity TO an archer that cannot hit me but at the last moment before MY projectile hits, I get out of cover so my target gets FULL DAMAGE from a projectile that came from BEHIND COVER! In other word, why should my movement after the cast ENDED affect the shot? The damage should not be calculated by my position AFTER releasing the projectile, but from where the projectile was launched.

Cover should only be affecting direct attacks such as archery, sun beam and death ray.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  4. Filter Bubble Algorithm

I just realized how this can be confusing and would probably need a video to show you what im trying to say.

So I will break it down really tight:

I start casting chaos bolt on a stationary target from CLEAR
    after the casting ends (1 sec) the projectiles goes on its merry way, this is when I move INTO cover, AFTER finishing the cast
    then the target gets the COVER mechanic BECAUSE I moved into cover whilst the target has NO COVER!!!!
    But from when the spell ended, we both were NOT in cover. This is an exploit because it can be reverse engineered to favor the caster if you do it in reverse (start from cover and move out of cover AFTER finishing the cast)

5. Filter Bubble Algorithm

@Lexie
    Whoever handles the cover mechanics needs to address this. COVER should not trigger on impact based on casters final positionning but from initial position of WHEN SPELLCAST WAS COMPLETED. This affects stone arrow, ice arrow, chaotic bolt, fireball, and fire arrow.

6. Filter Bubble Algorithm

p.s. teleport is instant like deathray, archery and sun beam. Im talking about projectiles. If both caster and target are in the open and I launch a chaos bolt and then AFTER i finish casting I move into cover, there is absolutly NO REASON why a stationary target in the OPEN FIELD should get cover.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.