Deck swap and Buff Deck

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by benhat, Oct 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benhat

benhat Avatar

Hi,
    i just want to make a simple suggestion and take a look at how things are at the moment.
    We have the ability of "deck swap" to an alternative deck, so we have 2 decks for combat. But the 2nd deck is now mostly used for buffing (Buff Deck). Which kind of defeats the purpose of deck swapping.
    Why is that? Because Buffs have a 5 stack ability.
    So i would lilke to make a simple suggestion.
    First, remove the stacking ability from self buffs (strength, intelligence, dexterity, etc.), it is not needed. Everyone just buffs himself with a 5 stack anyway (if he knows it)
    Which leads to second, add 3 more slots to the utility bar.
    You will not be able to move "all" buffs to the utility bar that way but at least it is more room. And 3 slots aligns good with the combat bar width.
    Now you can put buffs on the utility bar, cast them with maximum effect.
    And... actually use the deck swapping ability for things it is meant to be used.

As ever, just an idea. A simple approach but effective enough for a start.

curt and Stundorn like this.
  2. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Absolutely agree!

Before i had 4 Buffs (stats and c. blessing) in my non combat bar and used the 2 combat bars to slightly different use also with buffs what do not last as long as the others, Fortify Defense and Douse for example.

But ofc everybody want buffs as long as possible active and strong, so 5stacking them is preferred.
    Although i sometimes just buff unstacked because it's "enough" .

I also dislike to have that many buffs, 2 food, 2 devotional blessings, what do we get with brewery another 2 buffs?
    Then the obs. potions (never used one until) and other buffs.
    It was already mentioned , 14 or what buffs preparing to get into a fight is exaggerated.
    Ofc you don't need to do that, i barely do, but to fight strong mobs you will allways want as much buffs as possible.

Some more comfort, logic and reduction of buffs would be nice imho. It just feels somewhat exaggerated about buffs.

3. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

If you run pvp flagged, your alt deck should be a pvp deck. Who cares if you can 5 stack or 1 stack buffs, its not hurting anyone. And what about people that 5 stack buffs in their fighting deck, take that away too I guess. Some of the stuff I fight I like to stack my buffs. Don't want to 5 stack your buffs, then don't. Stacking skills is an option in this game, and something unique to it, why take that away?

Veronique of Lowlands likes this.
  4. benhat

benhat Avatar

I think you misunderstand me, pretty sure.
    I am not talking about removing the effectiveness of a 5 stack, just removing the need for stacking it, therefore having a single cast be at the value of a normal 5 stack by default.
    And i am only talking about very specific buffs, like the 2 hour duration 5 stack buffs "strength" "intelligence" "dexterity" (in fact only changing those 3 would be enough to end the deck hassle for a start). I am by no means talking about things like "shield of ice" "fortify defenses" and so on. That would be devastating.
    I should have been more clear.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  5. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

it is a bit tedious to spend 20-30 seconds poping the buffs then slowly eating foods after making sure to get the devotionals.

it def breaks the flow of getting into the action or whatever, but that's part of the cost to getting the buffs...

so I don't know its fine like it is at the moment I guess.

I would worry about port making it more of a pain to cast them than it currently is in attempting to do something about it lol

6. Jimmy Cliff

Jimmy Cliff Avatar

so you want to remove stacking and increase the strength of everything?

i think i would prefer the system remain intact or a system where you didnt have the stack option with a locked deck. i like games to have a bit of difficulty to them.

7. benhat

benhat Avatar

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  8. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

If its just those 3, I can see where your coming from.

9. Jimmy Cliff

Jimmy Cliff Avatar

I am still not in favor of having special rules applied differently to certain skills.
    It adds complexity and confusion to the skill system with the only benefit of saving 20 or 30 seconds every hour for a few people. I feel its better to keep it simple and have all skills opperate the same way.

10. benhat

benhat Avatar

@Jimmy Cliff
    Another possible way would be to just make skill stacking possible if the skill is on the utility bar, which doesn't work at the moment.
    My main point is about getting the purpose of a deck swap back to what it is meant to be, without having to hassle and first go into your decks menu and assign another alternative deck, etc. etc. if you want to use 2 valid combat decks.
    The removal of stacks for Stat Buffs for example is a bonus because it just makes sense to me, even gameplay wise.

11. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

sorry but it is "Simple" ideas like this that actually destroy the basic design,

If you cannot do what you want with 2 ten stack decks then ????

We already have unlimited skills and can create multiple decks to do just about anything.

Now players want more????

Sorry but learn to deal with what you have and these "limitations" are all that is left of "soft caps"

If you start down this road you are 1 step from allowing screen like other game that have 100 of skills cluttered around and the ability to use any and all trained skills at will.

Sorry but players have to stop wanting the game to cater to their desires and deal with the design as is.

What really needs to happen is deal with the issues of 100+ gms on chars, should N E V E R have happened in less than a year. N E V E R \\\

I
    T
    Y
    S

Jimmy Cliff likes this.
  12. benhat

benhat Avatar

sorry, but you are exaggerating.
    read my suggestion one post before. leave out the "more slots in utility bar" from before. what would be wrong with that approach?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.