Acquiring Gold - How?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nelzie, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I've been back playing for nearly three months now and I seem to have hit a wall.

I've finally started to figure out that I need to branch out into all the magic schools to cut down on being burnt to a crisp or electrified to death... I've gotten those skills trees up enough that I can easily muddle my way through to the lowest levels of Elysium Mines without a hassle.

So, I'm getting my skills up and I'm building a nice pile of gold, silver, various gemstones and other ores from the Spectral and Graff mines. However, I'm not watching my pile of gold pieces (cash) grow very fast. Yes, I do trade off between salvaging all of the equipment that I loot and selling all of the equipment, but are there better places to hunt with higher gold (cash) returns?

It took me nearly two weeks to go from around 12k to nearly 30k of gold and a good portion of that was from talking to the Oracle. I experience attrition of gold from buying chunks of coal and other crafting ingredients as well as replacing reagents on the regular. I do have some things up for sale at a player city shared vendor, but I don't think we're seeing all that great a traffic, just yet, as nothing I've put up there has sold, priced reasonably and they are similar items to what others have posted, but... I digress.

What do you do in order to amass something like 40k in gold over 5 or so days? Please don't just say, "Play More". I can figure that out if you say that you spend X number of hours doing Y, Z and Q.

I'd like to join in the economy a bit more, it's aggravating to see the recipes I want, priced three to four weeks of game play out of my price range and I want/need 6 of those recipes.

Thanks for any input/suggestions.

Vaiden Luro, K1000, FrostII and 3 others like this.
  2. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Its really hard right now. Since they nurfed gold a few releases ago by replacing old weps with new ones that sell for far less even my normal farming grants me half the gold it used to. Im lvl 99 as a casual (I usually play 5-10 hours on the weekend) and I cant keep up with my needs and Im generally dirt poor. I generally grind for enough gold to buy 500 stacks or gold or silver ore and I can barely do that once every 2 weeks now. Its basically stopped me from being able to craft much at all. I haven't even tried to raise my enchanting or mastercrafting in the past month+.

On the flip side, I get a rare drop once every few months and just got one of those new sword artifacts and threw it up on my vendor in OWL so Im hopping that sells and nets me 1500 new silver ore from some other poor gold deprived player selling it on their vendors :)

3. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

You could sell some of that gold, silver and gem stash. Either sell it on a vendor or fill someone elses buy order on their vendor. There are a number of commodity exchanges around.

Olthadir and Nelzie like this.
  4. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

Yeah, but the problem is... how much are you selling that sword artifact for and how long is it going to take someone to get the gold for that? If it takes me three months or more to get the gold for that, how does that help you?

If I'm pricing items at reasonable rates of return that I crafted and threw an enchantment on, but no newbie players or others can justify buying them, because it would leave them to poor to replace reagents they need for going back out there, do I undercut all the time and effort and price everything near or less than a basic NPC Blacksmith will sell a Longsword for?

Cordelayne and blacksheepboy like this.
  5. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

That's true, but I am nearly neck and neck between AL and PL, as I like to craft. It's cathartic and nice to supply things for my character and for others. Especially since you can't always find a properly setup and enchanted gem socket piece of kit.

6. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Really my sales in OWLs are targeted to the 1% to 2% of players who are swimming in all the gold :)

Cordelayne likes this.
  7. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I'm not even seeing how I can "make back" much of the gold it would cost to purchase one of the recipes that I'm looking for, even if I started advertising that I'll be doing something like hammering out Coils of White Iron or other crafting sub-components (Hilts/Sheets/etc., etc.) for other crafting types to buy for finishing out their own armors and weapons.

Lord Ravnos likes this.
  8. Bekido

Bekido Avatar

Theres a few options for making gold. When i was lower level and barely able to clear ely mines i could farm 100 silver in an hourish and sell that for 5k which is probably the easiest/fastest way ive made gold in game.

Nelzie likes this.
  9. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

sadly you are in the boat that was presented as going to be a problem LONG ago.

Holler at me in game I will happily take you out and oyu can loot all we kill, I do trolls just mountain ones but easy enough. Plus I would get you with peple who hunt the high end stuff and if you help out and get to know us nad get in the loot rotation you could get one of those 50K+ items and be in the mix.

Add me in game in a few I wil get on and if some of my friends are on I will work out a hunt for us.

Discord please easier to tlak I will send invite there.

amarious and Cordelayne like this.
  10. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@Nelzie

• When you are "grinding" cut costs.
      Lots of players spend waaay too much on the 3 Rs. Reagents, Repairs and Replacements.
      First way to get to keep more gold is to make sure you have a low cost deck with low cost gear to match.
    • Take screenshots of the popular public vendors, then wait 5 days and take new screenshots. Check what has been sold and at what prices. Think about if there are any opportunities and which of your former ideas are thrown in the bin. Don't do what everyone else is doing unless you can do it better or smarter. Lots of players try to compete in markets which are clearly non-viable due to over-saturation. Think of all the most popular things to make - you will most likely not be able to compete on price nor on quality.
    • Follow windows of opportunity. Every release there are a couple of new recipes. Just getting to such recipes, let alone craft some is an opportunity. I've seen such new recipes sell for 1000g each right after release on public vendors. That is a 300% markup. (But don't overstock as windows of opportunity closes.)
    • Marketing - plug your vendor wherever you can. Use sales or whatever to get them to at least visit etc.
    • If you are in a guild ask what others in your guild would want to buy from you. If you are not in a guild, join one.

Elwyn, Rinaldi, K1000 and 8 others like this.
  11. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I have done the thing about filling out orders others have put forward. It's how I boosted myself by 10's of thousands of gold, which immediately disappeared into recipes, that haven't paid me back much of anything after crafting and posting for sale... :-\

Filling out those orders, is sucky. I spent months just knocking down every tree I found and barely had enough of the 2nd tier elements to provide a decent return. So, for what amounted to a few months of grind, I ended up with ALMOST 5k in gold.

I'm not asking to rope in a million gold a week or even 500,000 a week or 250,000 a week, but... would it be possible to play a reasonable amount of time and be able to see my small stash of gold grow closer to 40k a week, if I really put focus on that? (After buying reagents, repair kits and doing the other things that must be done to support a toon.)

12. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

Thank you for the offer. I'm at the office right now. I'm here usually between 9 to 12 hours a day, six days a week with maybe only a 5 to 6 hour day on Saturday.

13. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

thas is NO problem att all if / when you get home / onlie add me I am sure I can work somthign out :)

Nelzie likes this.
  14. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

If I want to make cash I do a zone like Brightbone Pass and sell all the thrombuses, borers and cutworms to NPC vendors. You don't even need to be able to fight the skellies around the control point unless you want to get the iron and mandrake.

15. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Crafting is a huge gold sync. I usually run around 1-2k for new recipes, everything else goes into crafting supplies and listing fees (eww) If you "stop crafting" for a week or two, you'll notice a significant bump in your take home pay. But like you said, crafting is something you really enjoy, so it's a fine line to walk.

16. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I don't generally do a huge amount of crafting. Right now, I'm strongly focusing primarily on gathering piles and piles and piles of resources and recipes, primarily for any upcoming "nerfs" by virtue of the maps for some of the mines currently being cloned, but one day will no longer be cloned.

I craft a few things, mostly for personal use, but my main goal with gathering resources right now is to have many thousands of ingots, ores, boards and other supplies and then decide what to do after that.

Datendrache likes this.
  17. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Just keep in mind that you'll also need tools and merchant bought "fuels" as well. Which costs ADD UP quickly when creating mass quantities... there are prosperity tools and such, but again, more costs.

Nelzie likes this.
  18. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

You can still make decent money farming places like Gremark Forest. Be sure to sell your weapons to blacksmith - Owls Head and Brittany Estates have ones loose with their gold. Kill and skin animals. Their aortic thrombuses are worth 32 gold each and heads sell well too at the magic shop.

Don't use magic. It's expensive.

3devious likes this.
  19. blacksheepboy

blacksheepboy Avatar

Selling those commodities you're stockpiling is definitely the fastest way to get gold. Additionally, gathering and selling piles of the rarer gathering items (pine resin, beetle carapaces come to mind) have been my most reliable sources of income through the game. The tips people have given about reducing your overhead are also fantastic (preserve reagents or gather them yourself for example). Selling the weapons or selling the scrap when you get piles of 1000 or so can also help.

I am only recently able to do some of the harder content (survive Tier 5 zones solo, hunt tier 5+ mobs with a friend or group), but with the adjustment to recipes, patterns, and artifact rates there is a bit more of an opportunity for lower level characters who adventure to enter the economy but it is still largely oligarchical and controlled by master crafters and the very wealthy. Perhaps with the addition of lower-tier patterns and rares next release we'll see more of a shift in the economy toward lower-leveled players, also. We shall see. I should mention Poralarium is very aware of the problem, as they've brought up gold monitoring quite a bit. I think it is a matter of making small changes to the economy over time to keep the very wealthy players from revolting or completely wrenching the economy. It will be interesting to see how the artifact changes coming this week also affect the economy.

As of right now, there is almost no market for lower-level crafted gear, which is unfortunate. They flood the market because everyone grinds them out to increase their crafting. Honestly, I don't foresee a market for lower-level crafted gear unless they begin to institute an adventurer level requirement for gear (which I am not necessarily in favor of), and/or introduce some sort of vendor search functionality.

Nelzie likes this.
  20. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

Except that you have to use magic to build up resistances to those types of attacks. I mean, I suppose there will be a point where I can lessen the number of different spells and the number of rotating spots with magic in a deck, but I'll still need to blast off healing spells and some magic based buffs, debuffs and spells like Douse.

Chatele likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.