Character Movement

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Vaclav, Dec 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaclav

Vaclav Avatar

The character movement seems glitchy atm, turn speed and area needed to make a turn are too small.. request improvement in over all character foot print and movement speeds, not talking about run/walk speed but over all positioning, making a turn from standing still I keep missing the door openings, should be able to tun in place even while walking/running..

2. Lord Cire

Lord Cire Avatar

I too am very concerned with character movement as is in game so far. It takes somebody highly coordinated, using both keyboard & mouse, to simply walk thru a house, I dread the implementation of combat under these conditions.
    I've played Ultima 2, 3, 4, and 7 (all keyboard based) and Ultima Online (several years) as well as many other mmmorpgs and I honestly feel the "mouse control" of Ultima Online is by far the most user friendly setup developed. If at all possible, maybe giving the players alternative control options. i.e. : mouse, keyboard, touchpad, or combination there of ? Personally, I would vote for mouse controlled movement (mouse wheel for camera zoom) and keyboard for actions like casting spells, equip weapons, and so on.

PLEASE, think of the "not so coordinated" when making the final decision on this aspect of the game.

3. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

This is one place where the more options the better. Everyone feels different so I'd love to see multiple movement options included.

vjek and Atlaua (MGT470) like this.
  4. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

I'm not sure that the UO method of movement works in a 3D world that well. The movement controls I think are an issue where it would be better to go with the "tried and true" method of movement seen in 3d MMOs such as WoW or LotRO. However, I'll also admit that I'm simply used to those controls.

The animation doesn't bother me as I'm certain that will be fine-tuned as the game progresses.

BillRoy likes this.
  5. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

I feel at home using the current movement controls, but I have used WASD keys and a mouse to control games for a long time.

6. Maka

Maka Avatar

I think the control scheme is ok as it stands. I think the ice skating the character does when turning needs to be worked on and I'd like the movement to be independent of the camera so I can look behind me when running.

w should always move the character forward in the direction they re facing.. If that makes sense.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Lord Cire

Lord Cire Avatar

I can understand the players that have played WoW and LotR are used to using WASD keys for movement, even Wizard 101 demands the use of the "arrow" keys to walk around, and therefore comfortable to the people that have played those games. For those of us that have never had to use those keys, or even had to use the "arrow" keys, this will create a lot of unnecessary stress for new players. Granted, stress = discomfort, discomfort = dislike, dislike = bad publicity, bad press = fewer players.
    I'm merely asking in advance, because I play wizards/ mages, that the keyboard be reserved for things other than movement, if at all possible (for those of us that would like our mouse to be our movement controller). If we're going to have magic spells for our wizards, and be allowed to "macro" or "hotkey" said spells, then keys like W, A, S, D become vitally important to a keyboard schematic. I.E. A = Arch Cure, W= Cleansing Winds, D= Death Strike, S = Stun. Yes, these are all hypothetical yet very real spells in other games.
    So, what's wrong with an "options" button at, or near, the login screen that gives players the choice of:
    Movement: Mouse WASD keys Arrow Keys

or even something a bit more intricate if the Devs won't shoot me, like:
    Forward: W Mouse Right Button held down Arrow up (i'm sure Devs get my meaning here)

I think a totally optional user "setup" would be by far the greatest implementation the game could have, and I distinctly remember games of old actually having the setup screen for determining what each & every key command was in game. This would certainly be a "throw-back" to old gaming if that is indeed Mr. Garriott's intent for SotA.

PS: I'm 46 yrs old, played Ultima: Exodus at age 17 (1985) and the Ultima franchise has been my life long love / addiction ever since. Cannot express in words how thankful I am to have Mr. Garriott creating a new RPG for the masses!

8. Jako

Jako Avatar

agree with the movement issues. seems kind of clumsy right now (but the world looks fantastic!). would like to request being able to use the mouse for character movement (like UO did). right-click where you want to go.

also the mouse-wheel zoom seems kind of limited. can we get some more height on the zoom for more of a birds-eye-view perspective?

and also camera lock so that the angle of the camera changes with where the character is facing? (and option to lock/unlock this?)

thanks SotA team, great job so far!

9. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I think that WoW style mouse movement would be very beneficial to handicapped players and to disabled players as well. The two button mouse movement used in World of Warcraft is the best example of this simple control system that I can think of. The less required to move freely the better.

10. Zigmalion

Zigmalion Avatar

My concern is that the current movement mechanisms pretty much *require* two hands (one to move with the keys, another to turn and pan the camera with the mouse). If you also have to interact with objects, perform moves and spells in combat, and such while moving it seems like it would be problematic.

OSullivan and vjek like this.
  11. Hempy Do`Herben

Hempy Do`Herben Avatar

I agree completely! The controls honestly are horrid. I have been playing Neverwinter for the last 8 months and the controls in that game are flawless. Everything feels so smooth and flows.

I feel CLUNKY in SotA. Is this character KESTERING loot? He is walking mighty suspicious, guards may need to check this guy out.

Can't we simple do the WASD (keyboard) & The mouse to move (pan) the camera FREELY? Why have to hold down right click just to pan the camera?
    Seems so old fashioned and outdated. Why is this extra clcik needed? Cant we use a button like ESC to lock screen if you need to click a icon?

With the keyboard being used to walk (WASD) & for potion for whatever else & mouse being use to freely pan your camera view this is the way most games do things right now. It feels right and it feels like it should NATURAL.
    Right now in SotA I feel unnatural walking around it makes you feel as if you are playing a game rather then to be able to get involve into what you want to do.

I DO NOT WANT TO THINK ABOUT MY MOVEMENTS!
    They need to just happen naturally. I really dislike the HOLDING RIGHT click down to pan.
    --------------------
    I'll be back with more critique soon! Great job to this point ALL of you! I appreciate being able to experience this game at this point and will deliver the best information i can to help it grow :)

docdoom77, BillRoy, FanofIolo and 2 others like this.
  12. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

I very much agree with some of the content in this thread. Character control definitely needs some tweaking because as it stands, Avatar movement feels a bit stiff and unnatural. I also hope for the addition of some camera adjustments (sensitivity) and either a jumping or dodging feature.

BillRoy and vjek like this.
  13. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

I hate that i could only look where i was run... If i tried to look else where was impossible to keep running in a straight line!

docdoom77 and Hempy Do`Herben like this.
  14. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

My suggestion: the following relies on an on screen cursor/crosshairs for targeting +​

Mouse movement : Moves characters eyes/turns body to face direction around screen​
    Right mouse cursor - hold down : Avatar runs forward​
    Left mouse cursor - single click : attack, open or close door, open or close chest, open or close window shutter etc​
    Left mouse cursor - single click - hold : drag object around screen, release button to place object​

.........Backspace.....Insert....Home.....Page Up.....Num Lock
    .........................................hk1.......hk2........hk3...................
    .......................\|.....Delete...End...Page Down......7 Home
    .......ready weapon .........hk4.......hk5........hk6...................hk7
    ................Enter...................................................4
    .......................chat...............................................................hk8
    \?..............Shift......................Up.........................1 End
    jump............ block..................run forward........................hk9
    Spacebar...Ctrl..........Left.....Down.....Right.........0 Ins
    jump........strafe L........L t'left...withdraw.....t'right..........strafe R

additional keys;
    b : backpack​
    i : inventory​
    s : spellbook​
    q : locks screen rotation (combined with) left click mouse on object and hold, move mouse to drag object around screen. Release the mouse button to place the object. Press q again to unlock the screen.​

- minus the jump button of course​

Deathblow likes this.
  15. Evil Superhero

Evil Superhero Avatar

WASD takes some time to get used to, but eventually it will become second nature.

I use one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/WolfKing-DK2388UBK-Warrior-Gaming-Keypad/dp/B000IMZHL2

They are hard to find, but I've had mine for years and it has never failed me. If you can find one used, I highly recommend them. I'm sure someone else has come up with something newer, but I've never needed a new one, so I haven't kept up.

Hempy Do`Herben likes this.
  16. Hempy Do`Herben

Hempy Do`Herben Avatar

Wow man, that thing looks cool. But I can't go without my analog stick now that I am use to it. I use this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G13-...8&qid=1387244056&sr=1-1&keywords=logitech+g13

I had a RAZER version 1st but it was light and moved around on the desk with pressure i got this one and it is heavy & sticks in place. Great tool for me.

17. Evil Superhero

Evil Superhero Avatar

The only downside of mine is, after prolonged use, my fingers are sore from stretching across the keys. The top row of keys is the hotkey bar on Age of Conan, which is what I am currently playing.

18. Kilhwch

Kilhwch Avatar

Movement controls were ultra-wonky, but it's to be expected.

Footstep sounds didn't jive with the footfalls, turning was disjointed. There was no left-click to pan camera option. I figure all this will get smoothed out in time.

Hempy Do`Herben likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.