What is the purpose of SPO?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stundorn, Jan 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

If you go solo into FMO it's exactly the same as if you are in SPO.
    Why insist on SPO?
    You arent hidden, you still have online chat access, afaik there is nothing about less or slower spawns or any other adjustment.

What about call FMO just privat mode online?
    You are solo or private with your group. PMO.

Or are there plans for SPO i'm not aware of?

Antrax Artek, K1000 and danjacobsmith like this.
  2. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

I believe the purpose is to help market the game as ground breaking since its both SPO and MMO. Plus prob helped get seed money to get the project going since it catered to both type of game players. Just my personal thought on it, with the information i currently have. Unless like you stated there are plans im not aware of.

i.e.

#1 Check out SOTA a crowdfunded MMO, hmm well i dont like MMOS i want a single player game... well we are a single player game with a multi player option! Oh in that case im in where do i pledge?

#2 Check out SOTA a crowdfunded SPO, hmm well i prefer playing with multiple people online instead of by myself... well we are an MMO with the option to play Single Player offline with a story! Oh in that case im in where do i pledge?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Hunter Rose and SmokerKGB like this.
  3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

You are so mean ;)

4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Ah. Die drei lustigen zwei sind zurück.

3devious, Solazur and Paladin Michael like this.
  5. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

SPO you can't TP to any of your friends even if you party with them, as you can't be in the same instance with them, so it's not "exactly the same" as you say. So a group of friends party up, and want to mine elysium seperately, they do so each in SPO, not FPO (which would put them in the same instance). This way they can all have a common /party chat window, but can still play seperately for example.

Moiseyev Trueden and Stundorn like this.
  6. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Ok i can Party for Chat reasons only.
    Well ok, thats maybe a justified feature.
    Other is nobody can TP to you.
    Sometimes you maybe want that.
    Ok.

7. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Pointless posting :D

Just kidding because you said that to me in another thread ;)

8. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Maybe they intend to "shard off" the story in the future so they can make the player impact the world and story in their own way? Would be harder to do in multiplayer, SO I guess a rich story and consequences could be felt stronger if it was directed to one player. Kinda a guess tho.

9. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

LOL WTF.
    i NEVER expected somebody, be they german or whatnot, to know that.

11. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Perhaps there are people who like to play the game all by themselves, but instead of playing the offline mode where there is no economy or public/player vendors to buy things from or sell things from... they prefer the online "live" version to play in all by themselves.

This way, they get the benefits of the live economy, without having to interact with anyone personally.

I know when I first started playing this game (particularly due to the SPO option) that's exactly what I did for the first month or so while I learned how to play the game. It wasn't until I started having questions and needed some help killing some creatures that I jumped onto MPO and started interacting with others. But, my original intention with this game was to play it solo in the online mode. For one thing, it sort of eliminates the worries that come with "being the best" when you are the only person in the game world.

I now play mostly in MPO since I really enjoy the company and friendship of my guild, but I can see where the lure of having your own world can be appealing.

12. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Come on man, I'm omniscient you should know that by now. ;)

13. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Atm theres no difference between Friends only and SPO.

Offline, there will be a single player game with different rules than online has. If SPO is supposed to be like the offline game with a chat box, then it makes sense that it doesnt function that way yet as the Offline mode is not entirely available yet.

Korim Rackham likes this.
  14. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Friend Mode and dont Party
    But i'm convinced with grouping, going in the same instance, but not together, but each in his own instance.
    Very low reason, but ok

15. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Unless they changed something recently, that actually doesn't work.
    Quite often I like to party with a couple of friends just to chat but if we both wanted to be mining in the same zone then we interfered with each other.
    We tried going onto SPO but it kept putting us in the same mine together, anyway.

16. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Hm *ponder *

That's bad then, and again my question, if this is not possible i only see justified one Private Mode, solo or group, no matter then.

17. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Single player online/offline may not be everything that you hoped and dreamed for... but I actually like the concept a lot. There are definite benefits to both the developers and the players who want a single player experience.

On the development side, they don’t have to develop every town, every vendor, and hide that one major sword everyone needs in the tree outside yew. They can let the multiplayer world evolve and impact single player online. Vendors change, decorations change with season. The world would feel lived in and alive with out you having to deal with all those crappy living people. You in single player online can actually setup a vendor become a blacksmith and sell you wares on your vendor without ever knowing who bought it. So much better than let me go grind for 500 swords sell to vendor x who pays y, then make x and sell to vendor in a continuous cycle of mind numbing boringness. This would now change with the needs of the world and what sells on week may not the next.

Bow Vale likes this.
  18. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

What are you, New?

19. bloodydragon

bloodydragon Avatar

I have a question, forgive me if it's kind of dumb, but I haven't played a ton and only in Multiplayer. You can switch between all of the online modes freely and not be penalized, right? Like for instance, you can choose to do Friends or Single Player and then go to a pvp zone, and then switch back into Multi later?

20. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

You can count me in this group.:) I was wondering if anyone would "get it"...

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.