How to Get Rich Off RMT in Gaming?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jaanelle DeJure, Feb 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

I would like to see one concrete example of anybody in a developed nation making boku bucks selling stuff in online games.

If anybody has any evidence or first-hand anecdotes, please post them here.

I'd really like to shut down my businesses and just game for a living. Any links or other resources on how to feed, clothe, and shelter a growing family while professionally gaming MMOs would be greatly appreciated!

Otherwise, and without any evidence to the contrary, I'll remain fairly certain the only people who game for a living are so impoverished a/o lacking in opportunity, that arbitraging their time for somebody else's lunch money seems like a plausible path to putting food on their own table.

Ergo, people who are for banning RMT are actually working against poor people who are desperate for any kind of path out of their current situation.

As for billionaires... I don't think they play online games so much as own or control the big-box studios that produce and distribute games.

Could be wrong tho.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    radi, Vladamir Begemot, Retro and 3 others like this.
  2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

3. Sea Hunter

Sea Hunter Avatar

Gotta give ya credit. You're going to push this RMT thing till they ban ya. Good luck with that.

4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Heh, i could have warned you that the answer to your question is: yes, there are actually ppl that got filthy rich.
    I just don't care that they got ^^ both examples Darkmoon posted are brilliant works ^^

Jaanelle DeJure likes this.
  5. Oeneusc

Oeneusc Avatar

6. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  7. Baene Thorrstad

Baene Thorrstad Avatar

nonaware and Jaanelle DeJure like this.
  8. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Oh, I support RMT in this game!

But only because I believe Port when they say they don't have the resources available to police a ban.

Being a small crowd-funded studio and all...

9. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

I do not really care much for RMT, but it does not bother me.

What I find disturbing is when a game has a business model that caters to RMT, endorsing and encouraging it.

10. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

In over a year, I have made about $5000-$6000. and $3000 of that had to go into buying a new laptop at first that later when they took away dx9, had to buy another computer to play the game again. I am a minimalist so I can live on 12,000 a year, but so far it has not been enough and I have to do some other things to survive.

11. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Whoa! That's impressive!

Back when we were getting things up and running we lived on $20K and I thought that pretty good.

I really didn't game much though.. a couple trysts with LOTRO but I pretty much took a 10-year break from gaming to get my life and finances in order.

Any tips for slashing one's living expenses?

amarious, Mac2 and Sara Dreygon like this.
  12. danjacobsmith

danjacobsmith Avatar

Just because you can't easily catch all the criminals, it doesn't mean you have to openly support it. I think it was a very bad decision to allow people to openly let people accept money for power leveling on their forums, it opens up a whole new can of worms.

It's pretty hard to be proud of your accomplishments when someone else can just pay for them. The cost of 15 dollars per million experience that has been seen is absolutely trivial for many people including me. Like I've written before, a city lot bundle is 3200 dollars in the store, that's enough to pay for over 200 million experience worth of power leveling. The equivalent of 50 to 150 grand master skills.

13. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Ya, don't have kids, don't drink, don't go out anywhere, don't have a car, don't have a cell phone, don't use money for anything but food and necessities.

14. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Ya I can see what you mean. On the other hand, after running two businesses all week long, being the Owner/Manager, CTO, CFO, etc etc, I'd sometimes rather take my bar money and get something in-game.

Personally, I wouldn't buy anything that I couldn't acquire on my own. So I just want to cut out some of the grind.

15. lishayw

lishayw Avatar

Why would anyone who is getting rich off this game give you the recipe to success and make competition for themselves? That's like asking KFC to give you their fried chicken recipe of secret herbs and spices or asking Coca-cola for their coke recipe. Start up a conversation with Mac2 maybe he will tell you how he's pulling down $2000 a month playing this game.

16. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Funny... Didn't he just say he netted $2000 in a year?

I mean... I was a little surprised too. With all the self-righteous indignation flying around here about RMT lately, I thought perhaps somebody was really cashing in!

Retro, amarious and margaritte like this.
  17. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

agree different situation

yeah done pretty much the same with rmt if shroud. I make a little via entropia auds and caly deeds. mostly I buy sell on ebay craigs list ect and get by nice and comfy. very few things that I need to be happy :)

18. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I would share my knowledge with everyone, I am not a secretive person. Knowledge and understanding are not something a agree with trying to horde to ones self, this is why I get lots of people asking me things, I am not going to say no, I am not sharing this knowledge with you. If you really want this game to succeed, people are going to need to know and understand it, and withholding knowledge is not going to help with that. By the way, read my post, I did not make $24000 in a year, I made 5000-6000. There was one month that I did make $2500, but that was a good month, the rest have not even come close.

19. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

Old thread got closed, better start a new one with the same topic, amirite?

Hunter OfSouls likes this.
  20. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@Jaanelle DeJure

Start by asking yourself three questions.
    1. Would I think selling any morals, scruples,decency, friendships and/or dignity is worth it to make this happen?
    2. Can I spend 40-60h per week unpaid for 6 months before breaking even?
    3. Would you still want to do this given what 1 & 2 would do to your gaming experience and your enjoyment thereof?
    If the answer to all three is Yes then I can give you an outline.
    :p
    But if any is No then I'd advice against it and say that it is usually just folks getting a small boon for their gaming, not a living wage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.