Economy - My Deep Dive Version

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elrond, Feb 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Spell damage and spell crit apply to every magic attack tho, so adding too much to it will probably cause issues at very high levels.

Also I would like to add that you are crazy for pushing bludgeon mw to 137, but I still love you :D

Hornpipe and Elrond like this.
  2. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

You're confusing regular game system refinement with the creation of a mechanic targeted and only applying to those with extreme wealth in an effort to remove some of it from the game, and then itself be removed. That is not even close to the same thing. Feel free to keep trolling though, happy to keep responding and telling you why you're wrong.

3. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Unless you know the exact formula the Dev's have implemented, then this statement is NOT valid...

0.2% may very well be a large amount, where 2% would be way over powering... You just don't know, looking at the numbers ONLY, says 2% is better than 0.2%, so you feel the reward should be 2%, and not a small 0.2% for the effort you put into it (in time/cost), to raise your skill...

It may be advantageous to ask a question at the next telethon as if the Dev's would be willing to post this formula, so that we can run the numbers for ourselves... It may clarify some misc conceptions...

Are you talking "Prices" or "Sales" ?

Sales go down because the market changes with each purchase (that buyer is no longer looking, they've made their purchase)...

Prices fall because of "more abundance" and/or "competition" (other sellers undercutting to make the sale)...

Does it ever occur to you that your pricing is way to high? Or that no one has that much gold in their pockets? Or that there are many more players trying to sell the same item, so they need to undercut you? Or there's just not a high demand for that item? Or you and others have flooded the market, making sales, that it caused the price to drop or the sales stopped completely?

That's what a "Healthy" economy does, it adjusts itself, that's why they call it a "free" market, both sellers AND buyers have the "freedom" to sell/buy at whatever price they both agree upon... When ALL the sellers think the pricing should be HIGH, it's called "Price Fixing" or "Monopolizing" the market (both are actually illegal in RL), and NOT truely working with supply/demand rules... Your OP said:
    No, they were talking raw data, which probably included Game sales... Cotos, they didn't say "gold or bronze", they just said low to high price... Reagents/fuels, I've seen many players selling them at 2x NPC prices, because they're counting on every customer having 10m gold, and not caring what amount they have to spend because "their not about to walk into town" to save a couple of gold, me I have limited funds, I WILL walk into town to save a couple of gold...

A Healthy economy means "sales" NOT pricing... I don't think many players understand that, they've been playing UO too long, and don't know any better...

Someone in this thread said; "to increase demand, we needed more players"... That is not true at all, just because 100 new players start playing does NOT mean that will increase the demand for Wands, it may increase the demand for Long swords or it may increase the demand for daggers, the sellers don't know, until they try to make the sales...

Hornpipe likes this.
  4. Numa

Numa Avatar

That would be a big understatement - no way I"m going beyond 100 in any crafting skill now.

Cordelayne and Elrond like this.
  5. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Keep in mind its not just about the number but about the leveling progression also , if you think getting 0.2 % for 37 levels can be huge none is gonna convince you otherwise. That is 0.005 /level.
    Perfectly happy with my sales... topic isnt about my sales..its about the means to remove excess stuff out of the game, and fixing some leveling progression issues... why youre trying to make this about me ?

Right..imagine 13k bronze cotos moved around players o_O
    At least we can agree at this point.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  6. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Hi Numa. Wasnt my intention to deter people from continuing their progress in the crafting trees, just to signal some issues that i have found. I have not tested other trees at high levels but i believe the 0.2 problem exists only in the wand tree. So far i found its actually worth it to go to 110 maybe 120 in other tree as there is clear progression of 1% mabe 2% ability power increase.

Numa likes this.
  7. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Avatar

This is precisely what would prevent newer players from "catching up" and giving them incentive to go out and get better kills, go to harder places, and start wanting all sorts of different, new and circumstantial gear. There is absolutely no way at lower levels I could have afforded a full kit of crafted gear, and the idea of making my own gear at low levels was absurd because there was no way I could get the mats required, especially with the "blow up" rate at the crafting tables for a very low level crafter. Thank the moon and stars that much higher level, bored-as-sin players were happy to chuck their throwaway gear to me. Now that I am a much higher level, bored-as-sin player, I find myself doing the same thing for the younger Avatars that I encounter. In a sense, the insane vendor prices have done a lot to foster community.

Numa and Hornpipe like this.
  8. Oeneusc

Oeneusc Avatar

@Elrond
    I’m assuming that Elrond is your wand vendor. Please put some of your “failures” on your vendor. The public vendors are no longer a reasonable source for wands. I’d love to buy some of your 100k wands but that’s going to be a long while.

Hornpipe likes this.
  9. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Part of the problem is a "double-logarithmic" increase at high levels on many skills. Not only does it take more XP to get to the next level, but each level gives you less and less increase in the final numbers. I would avoid taking any skill like that beyond 80 or 100 for now.

The recent change to eliminate "producer level" in crafting may have been primarily done because it was so confusing, but it also removed a double-logarithmic progression in skill levels for recipes. I also noticed that the new refining batch/speed/efficiency skills have a linear relation to skill level.

Numa and Kain Darkmoor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.