Guilty by Association

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lishayw, Feb 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lishayw

lishayw Avatar

If I go to the monkey room and party with a guy that might be running a script to gain xp, because the script auto invites me to party and I get xp will I get banned for something he is doing, if I'm actually controlling my character?

Will I get banned if I pay for a power leveling service and the guy runs a script to get me xp and I don't know he's running a script will I get banned for that?

I see people there macroing all the time or they're afk and someone is running the room using the same pattern the whole time and they invite me to party am I going to get into to trouble for accepting the invite and they're doing something questionable?

Tetsu Nevara and sappersteel76 like this.
  2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

First I do not know any scripts that invite.
    if you are in control should have zero problems - but if you know he is scripting, 1st how if they tell you walk away / report 2 if you are guessing prob wrong.

power leveling services are ok look at above for more

if someone is afk and getting points they are wrong report let the dice roll

if you are playing the game you should not have any problems - if you know it is scripting and you partake then you are also wrong. Understand what is meant by KNOW.

3. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Report anyone scripting.

hroth, Solazur, Koss and 4 others like this.
  4. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

Are they macroing or just using the same skills over and over? What makes you think they are macroing? What makes you think they are afk? I meet a lot of people in game that speak little to no english, so they tend not to talk or talk very little but to my knowledge they are at the keyboard playing their avatar. In any event, if you suspect someone of doing something they shouldn't be doing, it's probably best not to group with them and as Mac said, report them. Let the devs sort it out.

Soleidad likes this.
  5. lishayw

lishayw Avatar

I've been playing MMO's since UO days. The scripts and bots and macros have gotten more elaborate over the years and a great deal harder to detect. But most have many tell tale signs about them. Mostly about spotting patterns and there being very little variation in the patterns or huge extended periods of time without variation or breaks. You can tell if they're macroing afk if something approaches them and their character does nothing to defend itself other than continuing to cast the same spells in a series.

It's mostly just odd behavior or nonsensical behavior. I know there are programs now that will respond with pre scripted responses when there is a whisper or chat response and that will log your character out once the script runs it's course. Scripts are becoming as complex as NPC behaviors in games now using some pretty stout AI and why wouldn't they? It always seems when there are advances in anything those advances in some form or another get used for nefarious purposes.

But with them being harder to detect I don't want to unknowingly get banned by just being there partied with them or report someone who I think might be using scripts and they actually aren't. It would just suck if I paid for power leveling and the person was actually scripting or even attended macroing to get me the xp and it comes to light I used his service and get banned unwittingly just by association. It's rumored Portal banned that whole guild that was utilizing that xp crafting turn in quest bug without even batting an eye.

sappersteel76 likes this.
  6. Mangar

Mangar Avatar

I hope this does NOT go down the path of many other games that OTHERWISE would have been pretty good, but the game developers ALLOWED or Tolerated "Botting & Macroing & Scripting" -- Careful Devs, this is how you WILL loose your base.

belijaal, Tedio, Weins201 and 2 others like this.
  7. sappersteel76

sappersteel76 Avatar

Well, this goes back to the point being made about allowances that contravene the EULA in reference to the power leveling for money, which is now legal and that's fine, even though it clearly violated the TOS and EULA according to Berek and another Dev, Darkstarr, then said it was ok. Now, we have people "allegedly" macroing/botting/scripting xp for 16+ hours that have been reported by multiple people. I hope the developers take this seriously and investigate the matter and adjudicate any violation of the "intended" TOS and EULA. Surely this type of suspected unethical game play will result in a ban and public statement to the community to discourage this type of anti-virtue.

lishayw likes this.
  8. neoandrew

neoandrew Avatar

16+ hours ? There's a guy there for a week now. 24/7. And he auto invites whoever gets close, meaning that a lot of people got XP from him just by accepting the invite and sat there watching the "XP bar" grow... that's lame...

lishayw and sappersteel76 like this.
  9. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

You would think that people that can code that well would just get a job writing code.

10. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

It sure seems shaky, that the devs say they got no manpower for GMs and yet they tell us to trust them that they will catch them all cause they watch statistics...

I would also love to be reassured about this issue.

lishayw likes this.
  11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

It's extremely easy, just like programming HTML5 is made super easy by the new toolsets like Adobe dreamweaver. Also lazyness, if they make a living with it and nobody cares... why should they engage any further.

12. lishayw

lishayw Avatar

Valid point.

13. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

My understanding is a few people have been caught cheating and got banned, at least one was a pretty well known player.

14. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Oh they sure caught the blatant abusers... I'm more interested in what happen to the wise ones, the powergamers who switch accounts periodically to make sure they don't attract attention etc...

15. lishayw

lishayw Avatar

They could be using just one account to power level other accounts that aren't abusing the system and just scrap it once they're done with it or purchase a change of name from SoTA store and sell it.

16. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Exactly where is this guy ?
    Has to be Multiplayer obviously. And he just willy-nilly gives away xp's ?
    Show him to me then....

17. Tedio

Tedio Avatar

Just go to the monkey room in Krul, he is there pretty much all the time, he doesnt mind if someone just leech exp cuz he aint doing anything anyway, he is just botting it. His script invites people which will make it less likely that they report him is my guess. There is even several people from the same guild thats using the same script. That more than one person does the exact same rotation and positioning makes it obvious that they are botting

18. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

He isn't even looting ? Sounds like a statement or something...

19. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

Typically you can get in trouble for benefiting from an exploit even if you did not do it yourself. The severity of the punishment might be less but you still can get in trouble for not reporting while benefiting. I would highly recommend either sending @Berek a message about the incidents or sending an email with the details to support@portalarium.com .

Spoon and FrostII like this.
  20. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Those are some pretty hefty accusations...
    An entire guild scripting the monkeys ?
    Do what @Andartianna said above and email Portalarium....
    If your purpose here is to determine whether it's an offense, then ask directly to Port.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.