Why are YOU interested in playing SotA?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord Kelsar, Dec 18, 2013.

?

Honestly, why are YOU interested in playing SotA?

1. Gathering and Crafting?

64.6%
  2. Questing and Adventuring?

68.3%
  3. Monster slaying and Dungeon crawling?

56.1%
  4. Roleplaying and Character Customization?

62.2%
  5. Meaningless Player versus Player with no item loot?

7.3%
  6. Free for all Player versus Player with item loot?

34.1%
  7. Trading and Bartering?

37.8%
  8. Guild on Guild Player versus Player with item loot?

25.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

I voted 1 2 3 and 4.
    Those are what I am most familiar with; I have completed ALL the Ultimas (except 6) and really love the deep, intricate storylines, quests, ethical paradoxes, and the underlying virtue system.
    I was excited when I found out about SoTA, and with Richard Garriott at the helm I figured it would be a winner.

I am a real newcomer to MMORPG games; in fact had never played one at all. Only ever did the solo offline stuff. I have started an account with UO, to help get my head around the concept, although I hear people say UO is nothing like it should or could be. Be that as it may, I'm wandering and adventuring. The population of the Oceana shard is so sparse that I have only met about three REAL people - all of whom were very friendly and helpful I may add. Of course I haven't been to Felluca yet!

I did do some MUDing, in the hiatus before Ultima IX came out - I was a citizen of the Weyrmount, and was responsible for the construction of the pub (The Chequered Cork) and a nightclub (The Raging Dragon). That was a bit of fun!

PvP - obviously, reserving judgement on that. Never done it, a bit cautious, probably reticent, but you never know what might happen.

It will be an interesting (and hopefully enjoyable) experience to interact with lots of real people online, and maybe quest together. Only problem I can see is if we are in the middle of something and I am called away to work - I'll have to desert the party....

Whichever way it turns out, I am really looking forward to exploring this new world, and interacting with many of you there. A glass of Britannian ale all round!

2. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

If this game Is even half of what i think it will be... I believe that it will be able to do everything the poll asks and more! I cant wait.

OSullivan likes this.
  3. Lebowski

Lebowski Avatar

I miss UO pre-2003. Lots of nostalgia...

4. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Nobody Seems To Like Meaningless Pvp These Days.

5. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Interesting so far. No need to even normalize this data; it is apparent the top 4 items cover 2/3rds of the voters desire for this game.

Really hoping we get more data points, cause I'd love to see how this shapes up for people's expectations.

sgt_pEppEr and Bramagola like this.
  6. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I'm interested in the Story.

7. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

Things I hate about MMOs:
    They require you to grind and feel like a chore. I need to play it all the time without a life in order to stay competitive. I can't play at my own pace. The only real reason to play end game is the 1337 lewt.

Why I want to play SotA:

UO in 3d without the griefing.

I want to PK, collect stuff, craft and design my home all on my own time and pace. Gear is not as important as player and character skill.

Grayhawk and Umbrae like this.
  8. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Actually, I'm very interested to see how they approach PvP, especially with Starr's background from UO. Back in the hoary days pre-Trammel, you were pretty boned if there was a B0ned3wd type guy out there terrorizing and harassing your gameplay as a new character. Consider this was all before in- game guilds, voice chats like Vent/Mumble/Skype, and still early Internet where not everyone hung out in an IRC channel.

I remember more than a few Stratics discussions with Developer Dragon at the time regarding the lack of actual tools, bounty systems, or really any in-game method for the attacked to rally back at their attacker. Even the negative aspects for the PKer were fairly limited, and no real lasting consequences, good or bad, left that much connection.

When you think back when Trammel/Felucca were seperated, that really set the stage for most modern MMOs to date, including WoW. Personally, I admit, there are days I want to play and not worry about PvP interaction, and there are times I love to mix it up. I want to see the developers introduce a method that allows PKs to still run around and create World conflicts, while at the same time giving other players incentives and rewards for participating.

Maybe an Assassins guild where you can sell a contract to hire a murder of that certain player? Or a Kill On Sight bounty that scales based on the number of murders that PK has done. Also, something where excessive griefing of low characters would impair the PK due to low Virtue (or something similar ), but where honorable kills would recouperate them. One of the biggest complaints on almost all MMOs I've seen is getting people out into the world, and providing methods for spontaneous combat. Simply scripted and static battlegrounds and arenas tend to pale after awhile.

If I want to be an amoral scummy brigand for hire, an ethical but merciless assassin, a noble champion of the helpless, or just a guy that's somewhere between, give us a place to enjoy it.

9. Lord Kelsar

Lord Kelsar Avatar

I have to say, I'm shocked at the results.

I expected some things, but I truly didn't expect the trading and bartering to rank higher than PvP with item loot. And honestly, I expected no-loot PvP to rank a little higher as well. Good to see we have some people who live and die by the sword : )

Very interesting feedback and points made.

10. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

Everything except Monster Slaying and Dungeon Crawling (which isn't all that bad).

11. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I voted for:
    * Gathering and Crafting
    * Questing and Adventuring
    * Monster slaying and Dungeon crawling
    * Roleplaying and Character Customization

These are the elements that made UO fun for me. The selections 2 - 4 are the elements that made the Ultima 1 - 9 fun for me.

This is what I feel SotA should be.

(your mileage may vary)

12. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

1. Non-instanced limited player housing that is apart of the game world and useful.
    2. It is committed to the world being interactive as possible "if it looks interactive, it should be interactive".
    3. The belief there will be meaningful risk vs reward PvP that requires player skill, good preparation, and strategy.
    4. Almost certain to have a very moving and powerful storyline
    5. No hand holding questing that is both engaging and challenging.
    6. The Conversation system.
    7. Classless skill system
    8. The power of a player and their gear will be linear in power...the age of "levelism" could be over.
    9. A meaningful crafting system coupled with a player driven economy for gear and items.
    10. Player vendors.
    11. Drag and drop bag system.
    12. Hearth of Britannia...in game.
    13. That this could be a game that I could play with my wife who is a non-combatant, yet not compromise my need for violence. :)
    14. Selective Multiplayer. I don't think a lot of fans and the general public appreciate fully how big of a f***ing deal this is "if" it is pulled off.

Geden likes this.
  13. Geden

Geden Avatar

The things we do for our wives... :p

14. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Your wife plays video games? Lucky man!

15. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

lol her gaming history involves Farmville, CandyCrush, hidden object games and she played Resident Evil in the 90s (at least that's promising) :)

Sir Kiron Maedun likes this.
  16. Gaumarol

Gaumarol Avatar

voted exactly the same!
    This are the elements i want to see in an online-adventure.

Lord Gréagóir likes this.
  17. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

The poll is a bit skewed. You're asking for people's preferences and yet marking one of the replies as "meaningless". That sort of throws it off. Of course noone would have a preference to do something which is meaningless; some might not consider that meaningless. Its sort of BS to have a poll on preferences and mark one item as meaningless imo :)

As an aside I would tend to agree with you in the sense that having full loot does add meaning, consequence, risk, etc. But if the point is to get people's opinions, its a bogus way to state the options. Not to mention your GvG only has 1 option. We don't know enough about PvP yet to say which way it'll go and what level of looting there will be.

AndiZ275 likes this.
  18. Pendragon

Pendragon Avatar

In the woods looking for a wandering healer.
    All but the meaningless pvp, to me that suggests a stale environment with no real investment in surviving.

19. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

I have not voted as the poll options are incomplete in terms of why I want to play SotA. I will more or less want to play everything, just in different amounts depending on my mood and my guildies needs or wants. Further I do not think PvP in SotA will be "meaningless" in any form it may take.

AndiZ275 likes this.
  20. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

As those of you who have read my other post know, I pledged, and am here, because I really really want and hope for a Ultima7-esque game, or perhaps the sort of game Ultima9 should have been. When I saw the headline "RG returns to his roots (...) single player game" I did the proverbial shut up and take my money. :)

I fully realize I may wind up sorely disappointed, but this is as much a hope as we fans have had in almost 20 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.