One Character?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cleome Arachnid, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahjian

Ahjian Avatar

I dislike how UO allows many mules it totally kills the trading interaction. I hardly buy anything from anyone because I can craft most items on my own.

2. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

1 char is where it's at dawg

3. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

One char is fine. There won't really be much of a way to track down multiple accounts, so I can get away with that for mule, being blue, more chaos.

In fact, this could be easier abused. The reason UO had multiple characters per account is so you could play different roles(skill limit). If everyone here is going to be a jack of all trades, perfect.

Gunga Din [Pax] likes this.
  4. Sup3rDave

Sup3rDave Avatar

I like the idea of just a single character, makes your choices a lot more important knowing you can't just go do the opposite on an alt.

5. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I'm a confessed Alt-o-holic, but I think it's due to the fact that all games allow alts. I don't think it'll be a problem for me if I only have one character.

I would like it if I could have a character with some combat or magic skills AND a craft though. I like to at least be able to make my own leather armor or craft my own bows for my archer.

6. Owain

Owain Avatar

Which is why at the current time, the devs have mandated one character per account, to foster interaction.

7. vynxar

vynxar Avatar

One Character per account is the only way to go if you want to make a really immersive game.
    People need to commit and weight their actions without the possibility to change character. Plus if people are unable to do all they'll need other people, and gather.
    Most of actual MMO are mostly solo game in multiplayer environnement.

8. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

People like me will claim that my family want to play and get like four accounts, then you can have the diversion you need. After all, allowing only one character per IP and dis-allowing my family to play is just down right un-american.

9. Enceladus

Enceladus Avatar

toon limits is looney

10. Jonathon.Doran

Jonathon.Doran Avatar

I'm not a fan of one-char per account. I like to try different areas of the world, different skills etc. Sometimes I feel like doing X, and other times doing Y.

Once again: a game is a series of interesting choices. Exploring these choices is gameplay.

11. Cleome Arachnid

Cleome Arachnid Avatar

I think I heard one of the developers said "current expectation is that advancement in adventure skills will not interfere with advancement in craft skills." So, if this is the truth, then I can handle the one character limit. Plus, they said you could have as many as you wanted on the single player game. Opportunity to test all the skills there to pick your favorite combination for the mpg.

12. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I end up being an Alt-oholic because class based systems pigeon hole you into a play style. Have to have alts to play another class.

Don't think that will be required in SotA.

13. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

Im ok with one character, but hope its more.

I usualy make 2 characters, my main who is an explorer and crafter with somewhat fighting skill, and, the second a warrior type able to compete in pvp and battle.

14. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

I am not following some of these statements honestly.

Such as "I?m not a fan of one-char per account. I like to try different areas of the world, different skills etc. Sometimes I feel like doing X, and other times doing Y."

Why does this have to be a different person? You never yourself like to try different things or places? You want to explorer wielding a sword vs magic, then do it! And your characters skills will reflect the time spent with it.

I have a problem with where a lot of games (hell even society) are going, where you don't have <b>consequences</b> for your actions.. I recently tried to play Diablo3 with a my brother and my biggest grief with the game is the fact my character is no different or special than any other. Hey look i'm an archer and if I dont like the skills i picked, instant reset, and my archer is exactly like yours regardless of how much time or effort you have put into playing that character. There is no reward, only instant gratification some ppl seem to desire now.

consequences .. consequences .. consequences .. it makes your actions count and the role playing experience mean something that you actually remember.

my thoughts anyways..

15. Jonathon.Doran

Jonathon.Doran Avatar

One of the consequences of making a choice should be that it is hard (if even possible) to change it. This "respec" craze does not appeal to me. And switching out a sword for magic feels like a respec.

Alts allow you to have characters in different parts of the world, so that if you feel like playing in one place you can log that character on.

If you are getting burnt out with your guild, playing an alt can be a nice break.

This is what I've been used to over the last 14 years. I'm not trying to force anyone to play my way, and would prefer that others not force me to play their style.

16. Fritz

Fritz Avatar

i think it'd be a good idea to allow multiple characters but put a time limit on logging in between your different character, this would prevent "someone playing a hero, then logging in with their evil character and being evil" or however it was put by RG.

Another option would be the inn system which was used in UO. if you want to use one character, your other one has to be logged out in an inn.

i think its important to allow multiple characters for the fact that I may want to have a warrior character, and another character who is solely a crafter.

17. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

Good points. My concerns though are that this leads to creating a self sufficient economy, or 'system' if you will, with yourself. If you can create characters to make everything you need there is no desire to seek out craftsman or people that have obtained a certain level of ability to make/offer a unique item or service. I think it would lead to more isolation and less rpg.

You can always tell the story about how you were a warrior many moons (a few game weeks) ago but now you have put down your sword to work the lands...yet maybe one day pick it up again?

I guess it comes down to play style. I am over the MMO's and min maxing games that have flooded and ruined the online world. I think would also increase the time spent with the game and mean less of the same walking around all the time.

18. Lord_Toast

Lord_Toast Avatar

If we want this game to be immerse then repec should be possible. It shouldn?t be instantaneous but something which occurs over time. A person learns to speak Spanish in middle school. They don?t use speak/write it for 15 years later they are going to be hard pressed to speak it. They find themselves going back to college and decide to learn a new language?like French. Four long years later they can speak it almost fluently. Wouldn?t that be considered a repec? If you don?t like the language example, I?m sure someone can easily do a trade skill example.
    One character for me makes the game more personal. All the time an effort put into one being would make the risk vs rewards element more important to me.

19. ZtruK

ZtruK Avatar

I'm a huge fan of one character. It adds a lot of potential for player based laws/politics/justice that just aren't possible with a ton of alts. If you choose to murder you are red, you don't get the benefit of a blue as well. It also provides a ton of legitimacy and value to dedicated crafters/trades of all different sorts. If you dedicate yourself to treasure hunting, groups may hire/take you with them to do that task. It opens up niche game-play that adds a ton of immersion.

The only downside to this is it's avoidable with multiple accounts. Since this is a free game they could place TOS rules against it and at least make people work hard to run multi accounts on one PC. That issue will never be eliminated though without in game GM's policing it.

20. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I always liked in games, including the ultima series, of having a group of characters around you that you didn't necessarily have full control of. Bots, if you will.

I could see SotA having a 4 man instance where you could take friends, could grab randoms, or could use NPC henchmen/hirelings of some kind. e.g. Iolo, Dupre , Shamino.

The thought I had was to have an expansion where you develop and name your own henchman. e.g. you pay $20, you play through some stories, and now you have your own named bard who follows you around. This wouldn't give you any benefits that a hireling or other player would give. Just someone to name, gear, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.