Factions/ Guid waring?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Milo87, Dec 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Milo87

Milo87 Avatar

Will there be a Faction or Order/ Chaos system in SoTA or is their talk of if guilds could war each other and fighting anywhere like the way it was in UO? I just think this would be helpful for PVPers who are concerned with the slider system and not being able to find pvp easily.

2. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

The $2M stretch goal seems to indicate this. But we've never heard anything about it. All PvP threads are rampant with speculation, and extremely divisive.

I think they'll start with a closed system, and then add PvP elements which can be controlled, rather than UO.

The "slider" as part speculation, part metaphor. No one really knows how one goes about finding or avoiding PvP. Or what would gain by PvP. Or what one would lose by PvP.

3. Sean

Sean Avatar

I used to love the guild factions taking control of different cities and getting cool rewards like colored mounts and special colored clothing! :)

Ara likes this.
  4. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Just want to bump this thread because I did like the chaos/order option in uo. Has anyone heard any speculation as of late?

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Owain

Owain Avatar

I have heard guild wars mentioned by the devs, but not faction PvP, but I could easily see that existing on the PvP spectrum concept that I support.

6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I hope they don't add PvP as an after thought @PrimeRib. Since PvP is such a big topic they need to develop the game with this in mind.

It seems likely that they have a basic idea of what they would want to do with PvP, but will workout the hard details later. Hopefully they are considering while developing the other aspects of the game. Although they haven't really revealed the finished combat system yet, and we don't know if they will be switching back to a more traditional model or a hybrid or whatever either.

blaquerogue and 3devious like this.
  7. Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral Avatar

If you play OPO and relevance ranking system puts you where you need to be I could see up to 24 people doing a guild vs guild, but the whole OPO/relevance system is untried and untested and something entirely new.

I was hoping for a pvp shard or server.

8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Selective multi-player solves this. Just like it was told to you on the other thread. Stop trying to troll.

NRaas and Gracekain like this.
  9. smack

smack Avatar

But that's the beauty of their selective multiplayer system. It's essentially a dynamic, built on-the-fly in real-time virtual shard that contains only the people that are of "interest" to you. If the logic is configurable such that you only want to see players with the PvP flag enabled, then you essentially have a PvP shard that you're playing in. You don't need to know that behind the scenes it's all done virtually across one persistent world..

And for what it's worth, this is similar to Elder Scrolls Online's megaserver architecture. This is where the future of MMOs are headed. The concept of physical shards are dead because they create far too many problems than they solve.

10. rendix

rendix Avatar

I just wanted to add a tidbit in here in relation to factions. I've stated this in another thread, but I feel somewhat strongly about it.

I want factions. That said, I only want two of them.

The old O/C faction system (UO) was golden. I really disliked when O/C went wayside in favor of the 4-faction system.

When you are a factioner in a 4-faction setup, 75% of factioners you run into will be enemies. Only 25% will be friendly. I much prefer the odds of the O/C system, where there is a 50/50 chance to either run into friend or foe. I feel like the 4-faction system created a bit of a zerging necessity in the PvP world. You were outnumbered from the start at a 3:1 ratio and your only hope is to band together and overwhelm the enemy which leads to people only fighting in groups with heavy advantages and fewer and fewer solo encounters take place.

In a 2-faction world, such as the O/C system, you stand a better chance at encountering fair fights and therefore fewer people band together in zerg groups out of necessity.

Groups and guilds are fine as systems to create strategic advantage in PvP, but I'd rather see them as an optional method to overcome odds rather than a basic required practice to be able to compete at all.

Long live the lone wolf.

Pariah likes this.
  11. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Yep, that is why I never joined the faction system, 4 different options left people with that issue of getting overwhelemed and unlikely odds. If I remember right people stacked up a bit on the factions on pacific. It seemed like there was really only 1 you wanted to be on unless you wanted a real challenge.

12. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I totally agree with this. I started off as an Order person, then we started a Chaos guild later on. That was great all the way up till the 4 factions came into the game. Totally ruined PvP for me. Exactly like you said, about 75% or more of the people in factions were your enemies. It was a completely unbalanced system.

Two factions seem to work. Order/Chaos, Virtue/Anti-Virtue, or any other yen/yang type faction is all I hope they ever implement if any.

rendix likes this.
  13. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Some of the higher 2m+ features I don't think have really been addressed yet or talked about.

We don't even know what it will be like to walk outside the town and into the world and how content can be exlpored and used.

I certainly want to see a faction system AND a Guild system... I am leaning that this will be tied into (or be) the criminal system we seen in some of UO. I think that could be ideal.

As to how that could actually play out in game is anyone's guess, but Richard has mentioned that something along the lines of 'instance-spawing' from the dual-scale map system over-world.

So far we've seen city instances, dungeons and the rough overworld.

Maybe it will be possible for a guild or group to have a single icon on the dual scale map??? Lots and lots of questions about this interesting subject :)

14. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I never played factions on UO, wasnt really interested i tried it once and it was kind of boring to me personally, but it never really bothered me or hindered my game in anyway so if you want to have factions go for it! :)

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

It wasn't boring for me. The problem I had with the 4 UO factions was the vast numbers of enemies coming in swarms, and then you die two seconds later and don't know what happened.

For a reference see World of Warcraft battle grounds.

16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

However Order vs Chaos was a much better factions system, because I always ran into enemies, but at the same time there were usually allies that I never met before helping out too. It only had 2 factions, not 4.

Many times I could go out alone in Fellucca being a member of a Chaos guild and not get killed in a huge gank attack. I never had to make plans with my guild to go out and experience a few good PvP battles because there were other Chaos guilds out there and we could work together.

The 4 factions was a nightmare, and I couldn't travel alone. I had to plan with guild members to go out together, and this was back when voice chat wasn't very common. The problem is that I like to be able to travel around anytime I want, and I don't like having to wait for a guild or have others tell me what to do. I'm a ronin by nature. lol

OH I MAY HAVE SPOKEN OUT ABOUT BALANCE BETWEEN ORDER AND CHAOS IN THE MAGIC THREADS, BUT I'M ON THE CHAOS SIDE OF THE COIN! FREEDOM FROM OPPRESSION AND HARSH RULE! FREEDOM TO THINK AND BE!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.