Pay to Win already? ? (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by goblin, Mar 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goblin

goblin Avatar

With some kickstarter backers that already win some in-game advantages, I am really concerned about the game going to be pay to win...

That's the only reason why I didn't donate yet.

Murg and BillRoy [ab] like this.
  2. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

The only benefit they are really getting in game is a house deed. There is no pay-to-win in this game. In fact, there will be no micro-transactions from what we were told.

3. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

Even if you are scared of the BigPoint game wallet warrior types, that shouldn't stop you from donating to this.

Listen to the videos, there will be plenty of real-estate for everyone, and as Mystic said the lack of the that is a positive.

This isn't UO(Ultima Oligarchy).

4. Sargon

Sargon Avatar

There is nothing about any of the pledge options that is even close to Pay to Win. Houses, titles, gravestones, etc... those are all simply "nice to have" items. You have to give people SOMETHING to reward higher pledges, since most people aren't going to pledge a large amount of money just for a pat on the back. It would be a little different if they were handing out Super Uber Sword +10, but that is not the case.

5. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

Not to worry, Lord British has assured me that his great Kingdom shall be free from "Pay-to-Win"!

6. Grignard

Grignard Avatar

Maybe they can add another tier that gives you Lord British's Fork.

NRaas likes this.
  7. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

I sure hope it's Play-to-Win! :eek:

BillRoy and blaquerogue like this.
  8. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

All fixed! Sometimes the fingers move faster then the brain! :D

9. blackdivine

blackdivine Avatar

Then what is this??? Add-on Store

As OP said, I really like this game and the concept/passion behind it. But only thing stopping me is that there are now WAY too many items (other than houses/deeds as some said) that give benefits. With 8 items that never need repair? and they are vital for crafting. Axe, Hoe etc....

Why can't you just give cosmetic effects, cool capes, etc for Micro-transactions with no in-game advantage?

10. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

The only problem with you classifying some items as P2W is that we don't know all of the benefits of said item. Yes, we have a general idea, but not enough to go on that says those items are the best in the game and unless you spend money on purchasing them then you will be left behind. We can assume, with good reason as they state they aren't making the game P2W, that we will be able to make items better than the ones listed in the store. Now, if the item in the store said something like "Unbreakable and is the best item in the game." then you could jump up and down about it being P2W.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

And yet all of said items say next to them that similar items can be crafted.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Donferth

Donferth Avatar

Le sigh. i'm seeing something like this daily almost.. I suppose people have a failure to fully read or just in one mindset.. Yes, there is nothing pay to win here, simply nice to have. The only thing remotely close of pay to win is the prosperity items, which Bowen stated.... They are craftable... Will craftable need repairs? Yes.. Is that a "zomglolololololh4x!"? Absolutely not. That's what.. a single second with bare minimal resources? No need to make a huge fuss out it. Just relax and enjoy the wait for R2.

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Sad thing is this thread was resurrected after 8-9 months. What was the point? To complain about a non-issue in order to advertise someone else's game? Cause that's what it looks like to me.

Time Lord, Isaiah, Sir_Tim and 6 others like this.
  14. Donferth

Donferth Avatar

+1
    Tis secret option 3 I wasn't gonna name, but I see a lot of posts these days from 'new members' complaining about a non complainable thing. Seems like its heading in that general. But all the good real games get them kinds. Just another day.

cdtodd likes this.
  15. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

Probably going to keep happening as more new people join. They are going to do a small search and post in a thread that has been dead for a while, or create a new thread about a topic that has been discussed ad nauseam.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. AndiZ275

AndiZ275 Avatar

What's with all these Path of Exile stuff (not only in this thread, but in others, too)? Don't get me wrong: I like the game for what it is: a nice free Diablo clone with an interesting stat tree. But I never found it amazingly good. The second act is boring as hell and I hated the animations, where I never knew, when I hit an enemy. And it's far away from an RPG. It's just a simple linear hack and slash game, while Shroud of the Avatar is a more old school open world RPG with more depth and freedoms. Even the housing system of R1 of SotA had more freedoms than PoE.

Also anyone can state here, that they have spent xxx amounts of dollar on a game. Hell, I could state, that I've spent 5.000 dollars on PoE, since nobody can check up on it.

We'll see in one or two years, how well the PoE financing system works. But I highly doubt, that it's a decent system for a game like Shroud of the Avatar. Also the crafting items in the shop look nice, but I'm sure, that we'll be able to craft more effective crafting items very soon (like in nearly every other game of this type).

Cheers,
    Andreas

postulio likes this.
  17. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

The question is, what do you mean by "win"? People argue on both sides as to whether a game is "pay to win". Its such an over-used phrase. But..... if you're going to claim the presence of the Add-On store makes SotA "pay to win" then please explain what your meaning of "win" is.

As I see it, you could buy every single item on the Add-On store and have the highest pledge tier with all its rewards and none of that would constitute "winning" the game. Everything there is a matter of convenience, time saving, prestige/unique items, etc. You can buy nothing but the base game when its released and spend in game time and get comparable stuff.

So if you're going to say its "pay to win" then what do you mean by "win"?

OSullivan likes this.
  18. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

You can't "win" any mmo ..... Don't care what anyone says ...... It's impossible.

To "win" , it implies that there is a definitive end.

19. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

You're just playing with words.

You can win an mmo by having an unfair advantage others don't have.
    period.

20. Jynx

Jynx Avatar

The Prosperity Items might not need repairing, but I'm guessing it won't be too long and you can craft similiar items that will surpass the quality.

There might be a balancing of sorts where you can craft much better quality items that need repairing vs lower quality items that need no repairing.

This is all really guess work, but I can't see the developers creating a game (that is still to be launched) and already making available items that will be the best the game can ever offer.

AndiZ275 and Eriador like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.