Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Responded] Game Crash: Can't turn camera (culling issue?)

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by Dom John, Mar 28, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dom John

Dom John Avatar

1. Title: Crash to desktop, video driver crash, Access Violation
    2. Reproduction Rate: 100%
    3. Blocker? Yes
    4. Details:
      Crashes to desktop whenever turning the camera at a reasonable speed, be it by mouse or keyboard. Screen goes black, goes to desktop, then screen becomes white and I see this error in corner:

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
      Display driver AMD driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Screen then stays white, I can still hear music and SFX. Upon clicking the screen it either stops responding or gives me this crash info (pasted below). Windows is fully updated, as well as video card drivers, directX, etc. Uninstalled and reinstalled the game fully. Whitelisted SotA from all virus software. Fiddled with every video setting in game, windowed, fullscreened, max effects, no effects.
      I have a hunch it could be something to do with camera culling, given it's based on view turn speed. I can pan the camera very slowly and it keeps me in game?
    5. Steps to Reproduce: Log into game, turn camera
    6. User Specs: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
      ATI Radeon HD 5750 1 GB
      2.93 GHz Intel Core i7
      16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
      (Running on iMac Bootcamp)

Thanks!

2. Mischievous Dragon

Mischievous Dragon Riparian Reaper

Your system does not meet the minimum requirements.
    Sorry about that.

You can check the minimum requirements here and here.

3. Dom John

Dom John Avatar

@Mischievous Dragon Thanks for the reply! I have a quad core and am well above mostly all the reqs, but I understand my video card is pretty dated. Am I to assume there is a minimum card memory amount required, and 1gb doesn't cut it?
    I'm slightly under the Mac recommended video card, and that card's memory is only 1GB... but oddly the minimum card's memory listed universally is 2GB.

When I run under MacOS the game doesn't experience this crash, but does run incredibly slow. I get a smooth 60+ FPS in SotA running in Windows bootcamp mode, so that's why I've been trying to play there. Seems silly I can WASD my way through the game and turn very slowly and experience everything at 60+fps but turning is a no go.

4. Mischievous Dragon

Mischievous Dragon Riparian Reaper

It doesn't crash on MacOS because MacOS is using OpenGL instead of DirectX.

In this case, it's about the manufacturer and the model of the GPU - not the amount of Video RAM.

Lexie likes this.
  5. Dom John

Dom John Avatar

@Mischievous Dragon Ah, makes sense. Previous builds worked just fine in the same setup so I was hoping it was something fixable. Thanks for your knowledge!

6. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

He's not quite a @Mischievous Dragon - more like a very helpful hardware and software guru Dragon, in my book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.