Greetings fellow Lords

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ahjian, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahjian

Ahjian Avatar

I just upgraded my citizen level backing to a lord level because I truly want this game to succeed.

The rent free town house is worth the investment seeing how RG wants housing to be rare.

Any oceanic guild out there needs a Lord? :)

2. Lord_Peregrine

Lord_Peregrine Avatar

What do you plan on doing with your lot? Are you going to turn it into business? I plan on a business, but need more info. before I decide on what type of business.

3. Ghii Zhar

Ghii Zhar Avatar

Currently a Citizen, but mouse cursor has hovered over the Lord pledge more than a few times.

If/when I get the feeling that SotA is going to to be around 5 years or so, "Clicky".....

4. Lord_Peregrine

Lord_Peregrine Avatar

It's already planned for a 5 year run at minimum. There will be 5 episodes and new episodes will be introduced yearly. If there is enough demand, we'll get two additional episodes.

5. Fevion Hailsinger

Fevion Hailsinger Avatar

Not sure what to do with my city house, I'd would assume blacksmith shop but need more info

6. Ahjian

Ahjian Avatar

I guess I will use my townhouse as a vendor mall, renting out spaces to merchants. It will also be a hangout place for guildies and friends.

7. Lord_Peregrine

Lord_Peregrine Avatar

I too have a city lot deed and believe we get larger establishments. If this is true, I would imagine we could run more than one business out of it, because there doesn't seem to be any other reason to have larger lots. Just something for everyone to think about.

8. Baron Daniello

Baron Daniello Avatar

I too pledged at the lord level. Mostly to show my support for LB and to help make this game a reality. Having a town house will be nice, I hope! I wish we has more information surrounding them. Having a title in the game will be cool too. I just wish the Baron level gave a title of Baron. I might have been tempted!

With houses being a rarity it could be a good investment but with a 5 year timeline.. maybe not. Who would want to buy a house in the last year of the game? I know the game could go on past the end of the story arc but for how long? How long will it be worth it for Portalarium to keep the servers running?

Lord Daniello di Martello Carradori

9. Lord_Peregrine

Lord_Peregrine Avatar

I've considered the life expectancy of this game too, Daniello. Considering the amount of time and money that will go into creating this new world -- the game mechanics and such. When Portalarium pulls the plug you can bet they will rehash everything they are creating now. Hopefully they'll recognize the backers that put thousands into this and allow us to continue in what ever new games follows. I'm not suggesting that it would be without additional cost, but being able to keep your property would make it more worth while to purchase now.

In the Markee Dragon interview, Garriott mentions the desire to allow people to bring characters in from various games. Why bother to configure all this if you know you are only going to operate this new world for only 5-7 years?

10. Baron Daniello

Baron Daniello Avatar

I hope they are only saying 5 years because that is as far out as they want to plan a single story line. I guess it doesn't mean it couldn't go on with a new set of stories. Plus, its not like it will end right at 5 years or even a year after that. I'm sure they will want to keep on selling the game for a quite a while after the final chapter is released.

*crossing fingers*

11. Ahjian

Ahjian Avatar

From business perspective, usual strategic planning horizon is about 5 years. Every couple of years, it gets reviewed and adjusted.

Therefore it really depends on how well SotA will be doing. If it really changes the multi-player genre with its innovative social approach, solid Ultima storytelling and great economy, I think there will be longevity to this game.

Put it this way, RG's reputation is at stake here. SotA is not owned by any big corps, it is going back to RG's root of fantasy RPG and he is seeking funding from would be gamers. If this game fails, his reputation will be tarnished for good. He must succeed.

This is why I am willing to part $1500 for a game which I will never have done so if its made by anyone else.

Hmm...should I consider increasing my backing to Baron...risk vs rewards.

12. Lord_Peregrine

Lord_Peregrine Avatar

I think we can expect no more than an approx. 7 year run of Shroud of the Avatar. I say this because each episode is a story centered around a different virtue. There are only 7 of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_virtues

At this point, Garriott has a story dealing with 5 of these 7. It wouldn't make any sense to continue on with the games name SotA if we've already discovered everything there is to know about this shroud, the person wrapped in it, and the avatar that represents the body. However, taking the same world and putting a different story to it while expanding the lore of New Britannia with game play from SotA is very plausible.

13. Duke Ironman

Duke Ironman Avatar

Good to hear from the other Lords. I too am willing to give 1500 because of what lord british means to me. Hoping to rent out rooms in the house and have a vendor or two. It would nice to have some steady income

14. Ahjian

Ahjian Avatar

Assuming 5 years of adventuring in SotA, $1500 is $300 per year or about $25 per month.

It is really a good investment and on top of that we get collector items.

Hope to see more people pledging Lord and above :)

15. Duke Ironman

Duke Ironman Avatar

Plus you factor a year and a half of dev forums. It allows us a glipse of a game being made that ive never seen. I really think that many of the lords will get to know each other too. We are the upperclass now

16. Khumash-Gor

Khumash-Gor Avatar

I would like to thank everyone who has donated to kickstart firstly, you are all awesome no matter what the pledge has been!

However, I do not believe that a Lord should be allowed to greatly surpass in skill or by the benefit of perks the rest of the player base. I get that we have donated, so a pay/tax free home in the village/town/city is great. But what it should not allow is for one person to be able to corner a market, run a city, or dictate to other multi-players how they play the game. If I wanted that, I'd log in to just about any other MMO out there.

17. Reiatsul

Reiatsul Avatar

I am beneath thy Lords, But some of the Information asked for is spoken of withing this Video https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=3359 Adn do not forget that there has been a List of Eight Virtues listed before in UO http://uo.stratics.com/content/virtues/virtues.shtml

18. Khumash-Gor

Khumash-Gor Avatar

One of the old virtues is Humility. For a great deal of people, they have still yet to gain Avatarhood due to that virtue!

19. Ahjian

Ahjian Avatar

Thou shalt bow before the Lords!

Nah just joking. I see my house contributing to the greater good of the economy by selling goods on my vendor. It will also be used for guild events if required.

20. Baron Daniello

Baron Daniello Avatar

Dias Blackwing,

I never thought about breaking it down like that. Only $25 a month. Nice!

One of the main reasons I am willing to back Richard at this level is because I feel like I owe him a debt of gratitude. Not for just making some of the greatest games of my childhood, but for helping be get to where I am today. I was lucky enough to meet him back in the day and asked him what it took to write a game like Ultima. He told me what I should look into and study. I went home and immediately bought a book on C and taught myself how to program. I never did write a game, but I now make a living writing software because of him and his amazing games.

So thank you Richard Garriott!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.