What to expect from online play?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FanofIolo, Dec 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Furious Farmer

Furious Farmer Avatar

Even without PVP there will be plenty of risks in the game from monsters, creatures, enemies, dragons, etc.

2. Norse

Norse Avatar

I disagree with you. You seem to suggest rping and pvp success have to take 2 separate paths. Thats a closed minded point of view. The risk is socializing. It brings many types of player together to stand up for their type of play style when it is introduced to other play styles. Hence you create a story unto itself that that is not written but made by players as they interact amongst each other. Risk and reward must exist on all levels for players to be entertained and renew subscriptions. Just ask the now free to play wow clones. Play in a box if you wish, there are plenty of tittles out there for your theme park cookie cutter blueprint. My freedom lies upon an open path.

Blazer Ta\'kier likes this.
  3. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

RP and PVP can take the same path, but just as often, if not more, people do not mix the two. Extreme competition is not enjoyed by all, and those competing doesn't always consider those they play with.

Margard likes this.
  4. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

I wasn't suggesting that at all. I was saying that many people prefer not to PVP and that by saying they are closed minded because they choose not to play that way is incorrect. This game caters to people of all play styles which is one of the reasons that it's going to be a great game all around. Just because that type of freedom is your cup of tea doesn't mean it's someone else's.

5. Norse

Norse Avatar

And there is the problem. While this game may or may not cater to people of all play styles. What it does do with no uncertainty is practice segregation. My suggestion is that pvp and rp compliment each other. And when they are split up by the way a game is developed, what you get is a bland, oppression style of game play that has been beaten to death over the past DECADE. Look back at history. Its the only medium we all have the ability to use and learn from. This game has been done before. Accept this game dawns the benefit of the use of the Ultima brand. And its success will be certainly short lived if it continues along this path. That is not an opinion, i actually have been paying attention to what happens when these games are rolled out to please those who have never experienced true freedom in a game.

6. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I don't think that is true. Games have been splitting communities into shards for either PVP/PVE, just for performance, etc. Forcing separation as opposed to trimming the player base as people who do not enjoy the game style or cannot play with friends to leave. SOTA is bringing those people together and giving them the choice to be together or work a part.

Forcing players together is just another form of segregation as you are just pushing some people out of the game. This is a union which will lead to a better experience for everyone. You are only being forced away if you are the one forcing everyone to play the way you want to.

7. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

I've said it before and I'll say it again: it really doesn't matter in the large scheme of things. People who don't want to PVP wouldn't buy a game with PVP in it, so why does it matter how someone else wants to play or if those people aren't involved in PVP? At least with Shroud, they have the option to try it and see if they like it and if they don't, they can go back to the style they actually enjoy without having to lose out on money or be forced into playing a way they don't really want to. What you consider bland is how a lot of people enjoy playing.

8. Norse

Norse Avatar

Again my point is this has been done multiple times with terrible outcomes. Segregation by definition is separation. No one is suggesting forcing players together. Many different types of players playing on the same servers is what made UO online great and is exactly what has not been properly reproduced since. I dont expect you to understand, but there are facts here you cant get around.

9. FanofIolo

FanofIolo Avatar

As the original poster I just now logged in again and read the very interesting discussion around pvp and different playing modi posted in this thread after the original question was answered. I appreciate all the information and your insights.

10. Blazer Ta'kier

Blazer Ta'kier Avatar

I can not express how much I totally agree with what Norse is saying! I was hoping that this new game would bring back some of the Glory that was PreTrammel Ultima Online, but i'm starting to see that it may be leaning more towards being like more current games and the ******** mentality. I wasn't even much of a Pvper myself but it added so much more depth to the social interactions of the game and hasn't been been fully recreated in any game since and i've played most all of them.

11. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Personally, I found the opposite to be true with the social aspect in PKer land. There was no back and forth socializing. Just pkers telling me I was crap and I should leave since I suck ( I was a miner mining ore ). I would waste hours trying to be a miner most times.

When I had the ingots smelted in town then I had fun being a blacksmith. Until I ran out of ingots.

Rinse and repeat of griefing trying to get ore. It only added frustration.

12. Blazer Ta'kier

Blazer Ta'kier Avatar

My very first character in 1998 was a lumberjack/carpenter, ya I got killed while out chopping wood some but that drove me to make friends with other people who were in the same predicament as me and join forces for protection. I felt more accomplished with my gathering of logs after having successfully thwarting PKers with my new group of friends or if was out alone and was attacked and was able to escape to town or run off and hide. If it weren't for the PKers i probably wouldn't of met some really good friends that I still have to this day in RL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.