Roleplaying titles

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by dragon8u, Dec 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dragon8u

dragon8u Avatar

• Your in-game avatar will receive the honorific title of " ? " to be proudly displayed for all to see (title not described as exclusive).
    Benefactor, Adventurer, Pilgrim, Artisan, Archivist, Cartographer, Cartographer, Curator, Patron, Ancestor, Navigator,
    Tinkerer, Citizen, Edelmann, Edelmann, Sir/Dame and Knight, Baron, Viscount, [I]Viscount, [I]Viscount, [I]Marquis, [I]Archduke.[/I][/I][/I][/I]

[I][I][I][I]Instead of the lilts: [I][I]Adventurer, [I]Pilgrim, [I]Artisan, [/I][/I][/I][/I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I]Citizen[I], [I]Edelmann, Sir/Dame and [I]Knight, [I]Baron, [I]Viscount, [I]Viscount, [I]Viscount, [I]Marquis, [I]Archduke,[/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I]
    [I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I]perhaps replaceable they seem like roleplay tilts replace them with Prince/Princess, Aristocrat, fonder, builder, and maybe use a different color for each.[/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I]

[I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][COLOR=#99ccff]Also, add titles that can be earned, such as: Sharif, Magus, Jailer, Ranger, War Lord/War Lady, Story Teller, Pacifist. [/COLOR][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I]

[I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][COLOR=#99ccff]I'd like to have Role playing titles that can be errand by and for role playing. [/COLOR][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I]What do we think?[/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I]

2. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I think you can roleplay a title. You can introduce yourself as whatever title you like, but you can't display a title you haven't earned.

I would not like to see the Founder/Benefactor titles given away. I'm fine with new titles for achievements, but not the Backer titles.

3. smack

smack Avatar

Mordecai and OSullivan like this.
  4. dragon8u

dragon8u Avatar

If I'm to just RP it I'll play D&D instead.

5. smack

smack Avatar

Yep, you certainly could. :)

I have no bias either way but I really don't think they're going to go back on this and anger even more backers on what was promised them.

You're better off designing a whole new set of titles that players can earn that don't use any existing ones.

6. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I'm OK with allowing someone to set a free form title. This worked fine in L2. This could be a title, a nickname, a status, whatever.
    I'm OK with some kind of inspect to see lots of earned titles and achievements or whatever. Progress isn't necessary one dimensional enough for one title.

Baron Avorin Swftslay likes this.
  7. dragon8u

dragon8u Avatar

Well, I may want to be a Sharif or a Mayer. A knight and baron are not titles there jobs primarily. I think the titles should be like aristocrat or fonder. Buying a role playing title is silly. I wont role play with a baker if they buy there title.

8. aevans

aevans Avatar

I'm fine with free form titles,
    they need to be visually distinct from earned titles (including those 'earned' through pledges and donations). Also, I would expect some form of filtering/approval before allowing a free form title to be displayed. "@#$%@#$#" is not a title nor status and should not be allowed, nor anything with offensive or inappropriate content.

If there are not enough people on staff to handle the filtering/approval process, crowd-source it to current players (via a web site or something). There may need to be a report system in case something gets through the approval process that perhaps should not have. (And of course there are going to be lots of issues setting up the crowd-sourced approval system and players collaborating to approve in appropriate free form titles, but those can be dealt with and managed.)

I am against an inspect method that shows all titles available to a player.
    I am against an inspect method that shows all titles available to a player. Some people may want to use a lower title for RP purposes, or hide their true standing when out and about and adventuring. Using traffic analysis techniques to build a list of all known (as seen in game) titles for a given player is just fine, but requires a lot more effort than a click on a character's profile.

I'm less concerned about in game achievements and such, but some people might want to hide the fact they completed the quest to earn Über Crafting Recipe of Èveryone is Going to Wãnt this Thing. If only to prevent people from bugging the player to make them an ÜÈGWT. Again, once the knowledge is out there that player X has created and sold/traded a ÜÈGWT, then others are allowed to bug player X to make them one. Again it requires learning the knowledge through in game means and not a popup window that spits out a detailed character profile.

In summary, just like a player can decide what title to show, they should be able to control visibility of information automatically given out to others. Also it's less development effort to not add the code, UI, filtering, etc than it is to add it, allowing our more time to be spent on other parts of the game.

Baron Avorin Swftslay likes this.
  9. Lord Melvek

Lord Melvek Avatar

I do not understand why we have this thread again. You created a first one like 2 days ago with same subject so what do you want to gain with a 2nd thread: Earn Titles by and for role playing

Lord Gréagóir and Mordecai like this.
  10. dragon8u

dragon8u Avatar

I wanted to add it to the stretch goals.

11. dragon8u

dragon8u Avatar

They have changed their titles once or twice so they can do it again [[I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I]Prince/Princess, Aristocrat, fonder, builder] would be better than what they chose.[/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I]

12. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I don't have problems with titles for role playing like "Slayer of the Demon Spawn" or "Defender of the Realm".

But nothing that resembles the titles already given as Founder or Benefactor rewards.

I also don't support free form titles as that is just an accident waiting to happen (think of slander, bullying, etc). Way too many possibilities of a lawsuit against Portalarium.

13. smack

smack Avatar

I still haven't seen a full proposal of alternate titles. I shared my Google spreadsheet showing all the existing titles that you get from the pledge tiers.

Do you have a similar spreadsheet with a full proposal? You should do two: one that reuses existing ones (although highly unlikely that will happen) and also one that has a complete set of alternate titles.

So far I've only seen requests to say we should change them but I have yet to see a complete proposal. I think you'd have more support for change if you had something more concrete than just a complaint that you think the current ones don't work.

14. dragon8u

dragon8u Avatar

Patron:
    This person gave money and supported SotA
    (Levels 1 and up)

Tester:
    This person was involved in the Alpha and Beta testing of SotA
    (Levels 1 throw 100)

Developer:
    This person worked with the developers of SotA
    (Levels 1 throw 50)

Meat Lord British:
    Behind the scenes tour of SotA
    (Levels 1 throw 20)

This is my suggestion and I think it's simple to update the SotA Founding page and KickStarter so that they both mach.

15. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

You wont be getting much traction on a movement to change the titles that were purchased through pledges.

However, There will be titles you can earn in-game that aren't the same as the ones given out with pledges. The issue with giving out titles by roleplaying is how do you design a system to allow that? The only way I can figure it is by having roleplaying events where you might earn the title of the person you are playing the part of. It would require moderation and community organization so it would likely be in Firelotus' realm.

Most of the titles you'll earn in game will likely be based on what you do in the game, your virtues, how you complete quests, and things you kill and things you craft. Those are all easy metrics to track. Roleplaying isn't easy to track at all. I don't even think it's possible without human involvement.

So those alternative titles you gave could be possible awards for such an event. But you wont be convincing people that spent $750-$10,000 that they should give up their titles for you :)

Lord Gréagóir and Margard like this.
  16. smack

smack Avatar

So if these are in addition to the ones that backers get, then sure -- but you have an overlap. You're re-using Patron, which is a backer title. You will need to come up with a different title one if this is an additional / complimentary title system that backers are already getting.

No idea what you mean by Levels though or why there are Level caps on titles.

OSullivan likes this.
  17. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

18. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Nothing Beats good ole D&D! My wife and I still play to this day!

Epona likes this.
  19. Old Git

Old Git Avatar

Being an old UO rper (Europa) and admittedly not actualy played the game i'm alittle confused as to the need to change game given titles anyway.

Back in the good old days it didn't matter what title the game gave me it was just a badge (floating above my char in UO) that meant nothing IC as i'd just introduce meself as 'General' which was what my character was. Or if i wanted to go incognito i'd dress differently and say i was a traveller or whatever i wished at the time (til i got recognised IC through questioning or someone passed me an ale *winks*)

Game given titles for RP purposes makes no sense to me but guess i'm a different breed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.