Why can't new players buy rowhouses in game, so many empty lots

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oyjord Hansen, Apr 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oyjord Hansen

Oyjord Hansen Avatar

Hi all,

I'm a backer, and I love my little rowhouse. I'm sharing it with my noob brothers and it's a blast.

They're are starting to slowly acculumlate some money, though, and are looking to someday move out.

There are empty rowhouse lots ALL over, heck Estgard alone has just tons of empty lots. Even Parrot's Roost, where I live, is mostly a ghost town. Rowhouse lots are just sitting there gathering dust.

Why can't they buy a lot deed with in game gold? The raffle is just too "lootboxy," and gambling is for the birds.

Are there any plans for when they might be able to walk up to an empty rowhouse lot and just buy it?

TIA.

2. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

You can purchase row lot in-game at the Obsidian Crown Merchants for COTOs--I think it is 85 COTOs for a row lot. I've seen many player owned vendors selling COTOs for gold, so it may be worth visiting a local market to see what their prices are.

Also, some players will sell lot deeds directly for gold.

3. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Correct, although I believe its 85 cotos for a PoT row lot, and I think its 100 cotos for a Place anywhere row lot deed ( looks like a green bag on the Coto merchants)

4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Yes, the 85 COTO Taxed Row lot is only for POT.

That’s the only thing I can afford and am trying for....

So that’s the way they keep the poor out of towns.... ;)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  5. Nick

Nick Avatar

99 cotos for place anywhere row deeds. There should be players selling the deed for in game gold. I can sell mine to your friend if you can't find any seller.

6. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Keep in mind, many players are offering many rooms with free rent!

7. Floors

Floors Avatar

Yeah I'm not really sure why there's so many towns with plentiful row lots and those deeds aren't available.

Maybe it's because the deeds are out there, but the players that own them are not playing or using them, but they don't want to oversell ... not sure.

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes and raffle tickets are 5k and 10k and happen once a month and why feel poor some of my favorite players in the game live in my Inn for free. They are immediately given access to a comission-free vendor to sell on, beds to plant in and many other amenities. I am not here to play this game alone. I may have paid 2years in a payment plan for my pledge but by no means am I looking down at anyone.

I am more than happy to share the good things in this game with others. So anytime while figuring out whats what or maybe you just prefer living in an inn, whatever. I am happy to help. I know I am not a lone in this thinking. There are amazing players playing this game.

Edited sorry typos. I'm having problems with my phone. I do need a new one;)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  9. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

When you zone create your Avatar and find your self in the game you have a book in your inventory that list rooms and houses for rent or even for free. If you need a place to stay check the book. I have a 15 room Inn in New Fawn that you can come stay in for free. PM me on the forums or in game at @Warrior B'Patrick. If you really want to own your on place then raise the money and buy a deed. Yes it will take a little while to raise the money especially when you are trying to equip your self but you can do it. But check your book first.

10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I think there is a plan for this specific interface in the future, where the owner puts it up for sale and you never have to even see them, just pay the price and it gets mailed to him, and the house is yours.

11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

You, M'Lady - are what this game is all about.

I often wish I had your outlook..... ;)

You and Raven are my better-side. :cool:

Edit: And Onyx Fasthund, and others........

12. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

Concerning PA deeds, my issue is that most of these available lots are in ghost towns. I don't want to use a PA Row Lot deed in a town that sees little to no traffic because my plan for that deed would be to setup a high traffic vendor in an NPC town. Fat chance of that ever happening when the current content really only drive traffic regularly through 4 towns: Owl's Head, Ardoris, Resolute, and Aerie. If you aren't setup prominently in one of those towns, then a PA deed offers no advantage over a POT deed in my opinion. Furthermore, many NPC towns don't even offer row lots.

Placing in an NPC town means you don't get to have all the devotionals in your town, are crowded by NPC buildings and other nonsense, and will likely receive even lower traffic than some POTs that have plenty of availability. I think this really damages the value of PA deeds at this stage of the game to be worth only the same as a POT deed essentially. The only benefit to a PA deed is that you can keep an eye on the lots in prime locations, and hope to claim one should one expire.

I'd like to see more row lots added to some of the NPC cities. Places like Jaanaford, Bramble, etc could really use some row lots as they are kind of on the path to the Shroud of the Avatar. Resolute could use a few row lots - it has none.

13. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

The towns you mention although they have players driven through them by the quest theyre not generally looking to buy at thee time so I dont think youd get much traffic. Resolute, Soltown and Aerie are always going to be good for noob traffic, but theyre going to have limited cash and requirements so not necessarily the best.

I used to have my PA deed in storms reach, and would just advertise the vendor on discord, it got traffic, also a PA deed you can ofc place in a PoT which for the most part will be the better places to have a shop due to either a) community or b) its a shopping centre.

And yeah those other places could do with a few row lots for sure.

Leto Mizellmist likes this.
  14. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

Yeah, so that's kind of my point. If you are having to advertise to drive traffic to your shop, then it's no advantage over a POT. Yeah, the noob traffic has limited cash, but they will grow through the game with exposure to your vendor and remember it (assuming it's good) for the rest of their time playing. That would be the singular advantage to a PA lot deed. However, there are only a handful of lots in the game where this would be the case, and they are all taken for a long time now.

IMO, PA deeds aren't worth anymore than a POT deed, yet they sell for double the price. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

Many NPC cities seem to have no appeal for anyone to visit. Axwich looks primed to be a massive city, yet there are only a handful of lots taken. Brekken Bay, same thing. There's no NPCs to speak of in those towns other than your typical merchants. No player vendors. No quest givers. Nothing to make players want to visit the town.

Leto Mizellmist and Anvar like this.
  15. Floors

Floors Avatar

While I agree that we need more reasons for players to go into the towns off the main quest path, and not just for shopping - I think there should be hunting, etc in the player towns, focusing on fishing and cooking expansion perhaps; Not all housing is driven by the need for vendors. I live in Brekken Bay because I wanted my properties to be out of the way of city life but also be centrally located. near to britanny. But I wanted an idyllic place to live and it is. Love going back there. But it would be nice to get more player traffic, I agree. And not just for vendors.

As for vendors, I go out of my way to find some vendors, so I know it could work if we allow more reasons for players to be in housing scenes, atm only vendors and trainers drive them there

16. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

I agree. The reason driving traffic through NPC towns doesn't need to just be the main quest path. In UO I was constantly going to the different NPC towns all of the time. Same thing in SWG. In this game, I try to stay out of the NPC cities.

17. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I think what happened is many of them went to POTs before POT-only deeds became readily available. The current housing system didn't happen all it once, it evolved over time.

Also, while there are some POTs that are arguably better than NPC towns, there are a lot of POTs in the middle of nowhere that basically aren't even being used, and those are arguably less desirable than an NPC town. At some point, if the game grows like it should, the "good" POTs will hit the limit and become full.

18. Floors

Floors Avatar

They did say they were going to introduce new landmasses in future episodes tho, which I'm not totally sure is a good idea given how large Novia already is. I guess there is kind of a need for say, a "non-traditional fantasy" zone or two tho. Like a cloud city area like clouds of xeen back in the (way back in the) day, or an underworld, or something completely different to any of that...... One can dream.

I'm just afraid more areas will lead to making it harder to see real players in the game. Even if I don't talk to real players, it's nice to see them, makes the game feel less empty.

Anyway. I am still surprised that there seems to be so much land available, and how many players with really expensive properties that dropped a ton of cash haven't logged in and decorated yet :)

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  19. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

A few things to keep in mind: first, they haven't done serious advertising yet, so the players we have now have basically all been word-of-mouth. And you can only see players running the same version of the client as you are, so the first week when they're doing a lot of patches, often non-forced, you might find the world getting quite lonely before you realize there's been an update.

I don't know where all the missing people from persistence are who have already placed lots in NPC towns, but the success of POTs is a big reason for all the unclaimed lots.

Leto Mizellmist likes this.
  20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

And some towns aren't all about the hustle and bustle of trade. Take Wizards Rest located behind owlshead in hidden vale for example. This is not a big trade town although we do have vendors too but it is a peaceful town where the residents mostly all have a good repor.

It is usually a pretty active town and since I live there it is. This is a town centered around an old mage Baldrith who is a bit of a recluse seen by few who wonder if he does truly exist;).

The town is full and every one does their own thing unless I catch them then they may either do some songs together with me, just chat, get a group to adventure somewhere, or perhaps I put them to work. I'm trying to build a combination theatre and music center and it is a work in progress.

We do have plenty of space for tenants and no rent is charged. The town is full with no available lots though. I'm just mentioning this because different towns have their own vibes, well ours certainly does. If you like your town vibes maybe you won't feel so rushed to have to get that lot deed. You can enjoy yourself and the game. Well just another perspective. ;)

Elwyn, Jaesun, Kara Brae and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.