The PvP Enigma

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by G Din, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

I would like to put it out there, that we wait until Online mode is available for testing as well as PvP to decide how good or bad it is.

Just to go in a different direction.

Time Lord and blaquerogue like this.
  2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

It will be interesting to see how people respond to the crafting and combat separation. With the UO model a gatherer must sacrifice combat skills to have gathering skills. This makes them more of a target of opportunity. With SotA, this will not be true. Gatherers will have the option to fully train is combat.

If they choose to lighten the load and not bring gear, they still may be a tempting target. Unless there will be a set of skills that will allow them to fight with minimal encumbrance.

Time Lord and Skalex like this.
  3. Orladin

Orladin Avatar

I'm guessing that's what a lot of people are having trouble processing. What they probably aren't considering is that mining and gathering itself is probably going to take place in semi dangerous areas. In UO you could go mining, cloth and leather gathering and not run into a single mob in most places except for dungeons.

4. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

Actually I disagree on that. I prefer Guild warfare to mean that PvP is enabled anywhere.

I had forgotten about that. I can imagine crafters utilizing stealth to get away, or even to turn the tables when they are taken by surprise.

Skalex likes this.
  5. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

from what i understand the crafting and combat trees are separate. so you could be a good fighter as well as a gatherer

6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I haven't been in this thread at all yet, and I haven't read one post. I'll just add my opinion by saying this one little thing....

Whatever has been said I agree with Owain on every point.

Time Lord and Owain like this.
  7. Praefectus

Praefectus Avatar

Wouldn't being at guild war require the pvp slider to be on? If you choose not to pvp and do not choose the pvp slider option, then there is no reason to be in a guild war because you do not PVP. It should be only people who are in the pvp world can pvp at all

blaquerogue and Skalex like this.
  8. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

Perhaps you dont want to PvP with anyone, just the members of certain guilds, just as it was in Trammel.

9. Praefectus

Praefectus Avatar

I like that you can be a fighter and a blacksmith or carpenter at the same time. You can earn your money and fight off beasts or killers at the same time!

blaquerogue likes this.
  10. Praefectus

Praefectus Avatar

I see what you are saying I just don't know if that would work out. If you are in pve land can you loot the corpse of the person you are at war with so they can't keep rez and attack? Looting the corpse knocks them out of the fight until they regather their items or go to house or bank

Skalex, NZIGNANTI and blaquerogue like this.
  11. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

Barring full player loot (which hasnt been confirmed or affirmed yet), its the reason why I believe that those in the persistent online mode should be able to see everyone -be it PvP or PvE player.

Skalex likes this.
  12. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I agree with the PvP flag concept. If you want to PvP flag for PvP. It only makes sense to me that if you want to have a guild war that you would have to be flagged for PvP.

Then it should become legal to attack the other guild, and legally be attacked by that guild as well. However being in PvP mode would also mean you can illegally be attacked by PKs while you are flagged for PvP.

I see what you are saying about only wanting to fight that other guild, and nobody else. I hope that PvP isn't limited to being like this only. I hope flagging for PvP allows for guild wars, and allows for criminal behavior.

I wouldn't want the devs to have to work out multiple levels of PvP if it isn't necessary because I would really like to see the open world PvP type experience for those who flag for PvP instead of only having specified guild wars as the only PvP option. Let anybody be attacked by anybody else while flagged for PvP, and don't allow the block list while flagged for PvP. That's my take on it.

Time Lord, blaquerogue and Praefectus like this.
  13. Mavro

Mavro Avatar

I also have to say if I stumble upon a guild war that's going on right in front of me I should be able to join a side and take part. That's why I believe it should be PvP on all the time, freedom to make decisions like that. I never really join guilds I do associate but never really join, and I have in the past waged war with a side to help out.

blaquerogue likes this.
  14. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

What if those guilds dont want anyone else interfering? You could have guild warfare for both PvE mode as well as PvP. The former, the way I describe it, while the later the way you describe.

EDIT: In other words have the guild warfare be separate from the online gameplay mode

15. Mavro

Mavro Avatar

I have to admit that's never happened, where I have helped out and a side has told me to stop or leave the combat, I can see your point though. Still I think all should be open to be interacted with, no of this hidden on the same server.

blaquerogue likes this.
  16. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

Visibility and interaction are two separate mechanics in programing. You may view something but you may not edit it.

17. Mavro

Mavro Avatar

Very true but I was more talking about other players being hidden on the same server like the PVP vs PvE war being waged, I guess only the devs can show us the way.

18. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

We actually had to stop battles in UO quite a bit because we were RP/PVP guilds and random people would just jump in.

19. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Hypothetically speaking: If everyone that is playing SotA decided to meet up in 1 hex. How many would be able to fit into one instance of that hex before creating a 2nd instance? Would it be logical to do the instance assignment as a first come first serve or would it be logical to filter players into instances with friend/guild/PvP/level/localization/play style/etc in mind?

Guild battles may or may not push the limit of population for a hex. I see no reason to fill a hex where players are having their war with non PvP players, just for the sake of filling the instance, population wise.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Owain

Owain Avatar

Not necessarily. I can see a guild war as lying on a spectrum, with duels at one end of the spectrum, and Open PvP at the other end. Short of Open PvP, you could have a guild war, where by you are only subject to attack by members of a rival guild.

I'm not sure, but I think guild wars were even permitted on UO Trammel shards, but as I only played Siege Perilous after the split, my memory is fuzzy on that point.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.