Item recipes, stats, and other info

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Tiina Onir, Apr 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Last update broke the "notes" field. Fixed.

Next update should add a field for how you can get the recipe: "Drops only", "NPC-Vendor", "Teachable", "Reteachable/Discoverable."

Hopefully I'll get time and I can have it ready this weekend, although there's some stuff coming up at my day-job that may get in the way.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  2. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

I really like this database and it's simplicity for the user.

I'm working on Agriculture and it really helps to easily find things like "What are Onions used in?" That is extremely helpful! I am using it to make decisions on "production".

How do we know when the data base was last updated and if it is current? Is there an "Updated Info" page revealing that? I suspect it is probably very, very time consuming to gather and verify/re-verify recipes.

Sara Dreygon and monkeysmack like this.
  3. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

There isn't a field for that on the page, but it's a really good idea. I do already record DB update date/timestamp (I use it for the siteindex.xml to help googlebot) , so I should be able to add it. At first glance it looks easier than it actually is: Because it pulls the "reverse lookup" information from the same data as the actual pages for the items the recipe is for. It will probably show the most recent timestamp for when anything was updated for the page (mostly because that's what makes sense for google).

Unfortunately I've been really busy IRL, and haven't put as much time into working on it as I would like. I plan on pushing out an update this week (which is a prototype of showing where the recipes come from). I won't have it in that, because I'm too close to add more features on this push. I will try to put it in the release after (sometime later this month). Hopefully I can get back to up adding/updating information (when I add fields, sometimes I break my ability to add things. It's one of the few things I can't test before releasing right now).

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  4. Winfield

As you implement this, will the update date also mean that the data is accurate and complete as of that date? I'm most interested in the accuracy and completeness of the information in the data base, which changes a bit each month I think (but I don't really know).

Thanks! I look forward to seeing the next publish!

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  5. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

These types of updates are code updates, meaning I'm implementing new features (Infact, I know the "learned by" field will be wrong for a number of recipes, initally). Generally they don't include updates to the actual content like recipes; those are updated ad-hoc.

Unfortunately, since I'm not extrating the information from the game-files, I can't promise perfect accuricy. I give it my best effort, but the DB consists of what I have found from playing just like anyone else. If you notice anything missing or incorrect, please let me know!

As of the moment, I know a number of sections are incomplete: carpentry, blacksmithing, and taloring to put a fine point on it.

Sara Dreygon, Winfield and FrostII like this.
  6. Winfield

Thanks, I figured getting all the recipe information loaded and accurate is a manual process. I can't imagine one person doing it all. If I see any inaccuracies, I will let you know! I hope others do too!

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  7. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

I've gone through and put the how all the cooking recipes are learned and where to find them. (easy enough, all of them are re-teachable/discoverable and the recipes are available from any cooking vendor). So, that was pure busy-work on my part. Still, it's nice to be able to be updating things again. Over the next week or two, I should get the rest of the recipes updated as to where they can be found.

I still have two known bugs hindering certain types of updates, but I should be able to get those fixed soon, too.

Also I have some thoughts on improving deployment a bit more, to make avoid the types of problems that have been tying me up.

Edit: Didn't want to bump again so so, but I've fixed one of those two bugs. If all goes will I should squish the other one tomorrow.

Also started adding the seeds, in particular where they can all be found. This is a bit tedious because different vendors (of the same type) within the same town will have different seeds, so I've taken to putting the /loc for the vendor that has the seed in question.

Not sure formatting that information that way in the "Notes" field will stay that way. It really feels like I need a table for NPC Merchants and the items they carry. I'll have to give it a bit more thought, maybe I'll do that in Jan.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    Sara Dreygon, SonicX and Spoon like this.
  8. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

New update. This one is about making recipes that have generic items doable (for example Glass Sheet can take any kind of gem fragments). I was hoping to have this working before new year, but alas. I'm late again.

The "used in" tab doesn't understand these types of "item classes" yet. It shouldn't be too hard to fix, but I'm loathe to touch the get item query, because it's so complex. Fixing that should be a minor change in the next update.

I've still been collecting data for seed and recipe locations, but haven't been adding it to the free-forum notes field. The reason is the next addition will be to add NPC vendor data, which will be a lot easier for me to enter, and a lot easier for people to use.

EDIT: I finished the changes for the "used in" field. they were trivial to back-port to the current version, so I've gone ahead and done that. If an item has a recipe in the DB, it now shows up under that tab, even if it's a generic item class (the "Glass Sheet" is the perfect example).

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Sara Dreygon likes this.
  9. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Okay! I pushed out an update last night, which had some bugs. I think they where all in my admin pages, and I think they're fixed now.

The new features I've added in this release are support for city and NPC vendor information. I haven't populated this information yet; I'll be working on that over the next week or two. I'm looking forward to getting this resource populated and avalible.

With all these new updates, the "search" function doesn't work on the new information. Also the layout of both the browse and search functions have never been that great. Fixing those things is the plan for the next code update. That said, I'm a little burned-out on code for the moment, so I want to hold off on any code updates for a while, and just get data-entry done for now.

Sara Dreygon and that_shawn_guy like this.
  10. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Okay, there were even more bugs after that. Again, I think they are mostly fixed.

This week I've managed to get everything from the capentry section of my book entered. Going to keep plugging away at the recipes I have.

I have to get the recipes entered before I can seriously work on the vendor info, but it IS comming!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Sara Dreygon likes this.
  11. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Wow, Busy week.
    I've managed to get my entire crafting book entered. I didn't think I'd get that accomplished in such a short period. I didn't have a section for "Obsidian Forge" items, I do now, and Everything that should be in it has been moved there. Also, I changed "Smithing" to "Blacksmithing," to reflect how it's listed in game (although, I disagree with this, as it covers things like goldsmithing and silversmithing).

Next step is to work on getting the vendor info added (some of the NPC-Vendors in Ardoris ARE populated, if you want to see what that's looking like).

I think all Obsidian Forge recipes use a Blacksmithing Hammer, so I've set that as tool for that section. If I find it varies, I'll have to adjust the DB to allow that. (It's been a while since I last ran the forge, and I wasn't paying attention.)

Many of these need stats added to them.
    The search function doesn't appear to be updating, so I'll need to investigate that (it needs an overhaul pretty badly anyway).
    Also there are about 3 potions where some of the green stats are showing as red.

I ran a couple of COUNT queries against the DB; it has, at present, 587 recipes and 1,170 items. I know I'm missing recipes, and that's probably a small fraction of the total items in game. Really goes to show you just how much stuff is in this game!

EDIT: I'm in the processes of adding about 50 Carpentry recipes I bought off an NPC vendor, including the "Binding (Carpentry)" recipes. This creates a problem for me, in that bindings are both Carpentry and Milling items. I'll have to figure out how to address this. For now, it's staying in "Milling"

Ugh, just found a bug for houses, any house with "/w" in it 404s. the slash reads as a different section for the flask/python code that reads it. I'm going to have to rewrite it to replace the slash with a dash, just like we do with spaces. (or maybe I'll just remove the slash. Not sure)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    Sara Dreygon and that_shawn_guy like this.
  12. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

1. Okay, I've fixed the slashes appearing in URLS bug.
    2. I've improved the search function a little. For some searches I wasn't getting complete results before, now it should. It's likely to show a bit more stuff you aren't looking for, but (unless you do a really generic search) the items you are looking for should be VARY near the top. It still handles spelling errors as well (although that greatly decreases it's confidence).
    3. I got the crafting recipes I bought added.
    4. I have a few vendors in Ardoris now showing what goods they have.
    It's likely to be slow going for this week, but hopefully I can get back into the swing of updates soon after.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  13. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Okay, I've entered all the items for all the NPC vendors in Ardoris. That took about 2-3 wks, and if I ever go back into Ardoris, it'll be too soon :confused:.
    Right now I have to run the "update_search_index" manually. That's been done. (eventually I plan on automating that)

That's the bad and the ugly. The good is that it shouldn't take me that long to do any REGION. The next goal is to finish the Perennial Coast. That should be done next week at the latest.

Sara Dreygon and Jaesun like this.
  14. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Okay, It's been entirely too close to a month since I last updated this for my liking. It only took me so long because I got distracted by RL, Double-XP, and my gaming machine deciding to eat my Windows installation. (this appears to be an issue with the mainboard, which has never worked quite right (don't buy asrock). I'm planning on trying to replace it in a month, budget permitting).

I have the rest of Perennial Coast done; I did it in one day (today). Having that first one done and the ability to "Clone Vendor" makes a world of difference.

I plan on working through some of the other smaller regions during the week. I'm not promising it, but I'm hoping to get all the NPC vendor info finished by the end of the month!

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  15. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

@Tiina Onir What an amazing amount of work you have put in to this!
    Thank you very much for this fabulous resource!
    :)

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  16. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

@Synergy Blaize Thanks for the kind words. It really does help modivation quite a bit to know that others are finding it useful.

I've managed to cut a swath across all of southern Novia. At this point the DB should be useful for finding almost all the seeds and recipes, even if it doesn't show the NEAREST place to find them.

There were two vendors that show up on the "info" popup for Xenos that I couldn't find (the "fish merchant" and the "textiles merchant"). Does anyone know if that's directly populated, or does someone at Portalarium have to manually populate that? I suspect the later and it's just out of date, but I'm hesitant to report it because it could just be that I got turned around (I find Xenos vary hard to navigate).

The DB is getting alot bigger. I am up to 3147 items, 849 recipes, and 85 NPC vendors. As the DB grows, some of the queries that generate pages will likely have to be optimized. I have a lot of room for optimzation, but I really need to start collecting metrics to know when and where I need to target. Those metrics is what the next backend update will address, unfortunately it's a pretty extensive change that's taking some time.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  17. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

there's a whole nother market building across the water. fish merchant and textile merchant at
    Area: Xenos (Novia_R11_City_Xenos) Loc: (-274.9, 36.6, -167.5) DBG: Tm92aWFfUjExX0NpdHlfWGVub3N8fCgtMjc0Ljg5MSwgMzYuNjAzLCAtMTY3LjQ3KXwoMCwgMC4xNzksIDAsIC0wLjk4NCl8MzM3LjMzMTR8MjcuODM3NnwxOA==

Sara Dreygon and Tiina Onir like this.
  18. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Thanks @Alley Oop! I'll go back there and get that added!

EDIT: Done! While finding things by /loc is kinda a pain, it's not impossible.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    Sara Dreygon likes this.
  19. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Okay, so with double XP, I'm unlikely to get anything else done for a week. I did get Kingsport and Bramer done, which means I have at least one location with each type of seed.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  20. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

are you familiar with /loctrack? it's still a pain, but less.

Sara Dreygon and Tiina Onir like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.