What's the playerbase like?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LordSunrise, Jul 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordSunrise

LordSunrise Avatar

How many people are playing this?

2. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

It's a niche game. Not many playing it, comfortably under 10k. But it's playable none the less.

3. Floors

Floors Avatar

There's no definitive number so nobody knows. But possibly about 600-1000 players at any given time.

With instancing we'll never really know.

Razimus likes this.
  4. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

The Steam charts will show you an average 165 and a peak of 316 over the past month - https://steamcharts.com/app/326160

People will point out that not everyone uses Steam, of course, so maybe double those figures just to be sure? Though I reckon it'd be less, myself.

5. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

It may not be the biggest & it is the BEST Community, you are ever likely to come across in any Realm :)

MFWalter, Witcheypoo, Spoon and 4 others like this.
  6. Floors

Floors Avatar

There's definitely players that want you to buy into a narrative of doom and gloom, and my advice is to ignore that and just enjoy yourself. The chips will fall where they may.

7. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

But if a player derives enjoyment from being in a genuine MMO, ie: the population of the game can credibly be called massive, then asking the question and getting honest answers is quite important.

Remember, for everyone who likes a niche game where they know a dozen people really well and that's what gives them pleasure, there are others who do want a genuinely large server experience.

Nothing wrong with either experience and useful for someone to know what they're getting themselves into, upfront, before going too deep into a game. I know I'd appreciate knowing in that situation.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  8. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

To be fair, MMO could also stand for Minimally Multiplayer Online.

9. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

The following comment is classified NBC 'Non Bannworthy Content'

"1 million players at launch"

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    Blackghost, disorder and Derium like this.
  10. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

The playerbase is like hardcore Fans, willing to pay further for whatever, loving endless progression grind and min maxing :)

This is not meant insulting or rating!!!

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  11. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

The following comment is classified NBC 'Non Banworthy Content'

I don't think anybody should be ignored. MY advice to others is be open, investigate, seek truth, be wise, delve into areas others advise against.

I say this knowing I have found 'traces of intrigue' in everyone, even if its almost always accidental. Everyone is important. Everyone matters.

Blackghost, Witcheypoo and Stundorn like this.
  12. Ataniiq

Ataniiq Avatar

Enquiries such as this are preposterous! Where is the moderating team on this matter.. :p

Very small good and dedicated community. I love recognizing most people throughout the world.

Witcheypoo and Synergy Blaize like this.
  13. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I play everyday now... But, I'm in SPO, so you won't see me anywhere...

It's amazing, posts like these are posted late Fri night, when the moderators have gone home...

14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Enough players coming through the Factorium that it is sometimes hard to get any real work done with all the visiting I do :)

Alioth, Barugon, Retlaw and 3 others like this.
  15. Floors

Floors Avatar

Well it didnt happen, so whats the point of bringing it up ? When this is all said and done, I want to look back on the positive experiences and things I did to support it instead of saying “Look ! SEE ! I told you !!”. Thats just me tho.

16. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Not really.. This is the exact same thing as saying a chicken is called a cow. If you do not have anything more intelligent to say then just shut it.

As to come back to the thread, player base is good. I see loads of players in random scenes. At least the more popular scenes (high tiers). Do not forget that there are also loads of players playing in online party mode only, online _single_ player mode.
    And they seem invisible to us online multiplayer players

17. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Here is my opinion on the subject. Quite a few games especially MMOs have had troubled launches.

Getting in on the ground floor of a game with huge potential has immense rewards. Especially a game like SOTA with lots of exclusive content. Spending $9 per month will get you several rare items each month during the streams. Some of these items might be worth a lot of value in game later selling for a lot of gold years from now.

Every MMO is a gamble some huge titles such as SWG or Tabula Rasa shut down leaving their players with nothing but memories. While games like Eve Online provided early players significant advantages and access to rare items early on now worth a lot of game credits.

Do you want to take a chance and support a game in it's infancy or join a game already popular becoming a number lost in the masses? If the former, join us in Shroud. If the later, PUBG, Black Desert Online, or Fortnight pull in massive numbers.

18. Floors

Floors Avatar

The thing SoTA has going for it is that they are a small group of people, all passionate about their work, and they dont have EA accountants saying “we did the projections and we wont make the profit the executives need to look good in the next company wide shareholders meeting so lets cut bait now”. It would still be nice to see it grow a little faster than it is, which is why focusing on new player experience and player designed content makes sense over boats.

Witcheypoo, Elwyn and Synergy Blaize like this.
  19. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

All the people that matter :) .

20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hello @LordSunrise and welcome to Shroud of the Avatar. We really don't know how many players are playing at any time. The best indicators of where people are shows in a few ways and even these don't show everyone who could be playing. For example many original backers of the game joined the game before steam, myself included and there is a good amount who don't show on steam charts who play. Players still waiting on features come back as their feature comes in game. Such as treasure hunting, mounts, boating are features coming.

Our fast travel is mainly our friends list which does tell you where players are hanging out. Clicking on the stained Glass window on your screen upper right first icon then click on nearby players anytime to see. Remember it doesn't show players not in multiplayer, but your friends list shows them and you can even whisper with each other in different modes. So to get around easier add lots of friends plus then you know you are not alone even though you are really not alone. I'm away helping with my mom but August 23rd I'll be back in game and I accept all friends requests.

Don't judge the game by anyone's unconstructive negative comments. Just be your own judge and enjoy what you enjoy. This is still a very young game which has been played continuously all throughout development which has positive and negative impacts on a person's view of the game of course. Some played early on and perhaps judged then forever more. It has not been an easy road with tons opinions on how it should be that have helped to form it to what we have today and that is still happening. So I feel that at this point the devs realize a lot of things still that are missing and needed and plan to focus on these and of course still add so much more coolness to the game as they can.

Fishing enhancements coming in R58. The last Thursday of every month is when we get new releases bringing new stuff, bug fixes, performance improvements etc. I'm so looking forward to the long awaited fishing update.

Alt f is your looking for group feature. Create or join a group anytime.

We also have an awesome music system and you can sync music with others. No skill is needed to play. We have sheet music to play.

When I'm home send me a whisper anytime I love to share free emotes or crafting recipes so don't buy all recipes before you get to learn as many as possible from another player first. Also ask me questions anytime.

If I can assist anytime or answer any questions please feel free to contact me here by pm or in game after August 23rd. My in game name is Majoria. Have a great time. This game still has amazing possibilities.

The housing is fantastic and don't forget to get your deed from doing the questlines or play the raffle, or get your 500 gold an xp from the Oracle a day. And don't live out of your bank. Check the market place under rentals. Free rentals all over. So get a place to hang your hat and place chests etc while learning the game.

I live in wizards rest behind owlshead in hidden vale. There is a bulletin board close to the entrance with all kinds of instructions. Dont forget to point at signs. They look empty until pointed at and books etc

Have fun on your journeys. I could talk forever about what we do have but I'm sure you will appreciate discovering it for yourself or join a guild if you enjoy that part of a game.

Let us hear your feedback. It's always great to hear things from another perspective.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.