Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Performance

Discussion in 'Release 56 Feedback' started by Aiyarree, Jul 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aiyarree

Aiyarree Avatar

Hi Porta-Team,

i am not exactly sure where all your predicted performance increase takes place.

For me it definitely decreased to a point where i have to stop playing because it is not funny anymore.
    Some releases back i was able to play on highest settings. With this release lowest is not low enough.
    And i refuse to reduce raw resolution.

Especially the loading times of containers and the bank-items in a abysmal by now.
    Can get me a cup of coffee when opening the Bank.

2. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Could you do a /bug and post that info here or as a official bug report?
    I can not believe that your performance has degraded that much that even lowest settings is not good enough.

Is it the hitching what you are talking about or just global performance in general?

The container items loading I agree, it has been like this since 2 or 3 releases back in my case.
    I think since the release they added container in container support.

Nelzie likes this.
  3. Aiyarree

Aiyarree Avatar

Well... the hitching is part of the general problem.
    Two seconds hitching in fight can be a very long time.
    Especially when the the Key-Presses are not delayed but not recognized.

And global-performance... yea... in the blood-river outskirts i have to lower the resolution to one fourth before it stops being a slideshow.
    (But cooling fans are relative silent - i guess one or two steps away from max - so the hardware is not the limiting factor)
    On a 32” Screen coming from 4k... well... just no.

By the way - i have the feeling - not benchmarked - that at AM-UTC the problem is bigger than PM-UTC.
    Primarily the bank interaction seems to get better during the day.

07/30/2018 14:17
    User Specs:
    OS: Linux 4.15 Ubuntu 18.04 64bit (The Installation is brand new and i had the same problems on Solus)
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz (8) System RAM: 64377
    GPU: GeForce GTX 1070/PCIe/SSE2 GPU RAM: 8192
    SotA.Linux.64.816.Date.07.27.18
    Area: POT_alpine_metropolis_01_template/Gladsheim
    Area Display Name: Gladsheim
    Loc: (86.8, 42.7, 148.1)
    Debug: UE9UX2FscGluZV9tZXRyb3BvbGlzXzAxX3RlbXBsYXRlfEdsYWRzaGVpbXwoODYuODAzLCA0Mi42ODEsIDE0OC4wNTIpfCgwLCAwLjIwNywgMCwgMC45NzgpfDIzLjkwMTN8MTB8My41NDI5OQ==

Jaesun and Feeyo like this.
  4. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I also have a 4K screen (32") and I did lower the resolution to 2560 * x on my GNU/Linux desktop as I prefer that reso, the fonts are not too small and just looks better for me.
    Also on the 2560 * x resolution SotA plays a lot better then on the 4K reso so win/win.

But the hitching yeah, everyone is having this as far as I know. This (seems) to be a Unity problem.
    Offtopic: Why on earth did you install Ubuntu??? (It is Evil)

5. Gix

Gix Avatar

I get that you used to get better performance prior and would rather they fix it but, why such a hard stance on one of the most influential factor on performance?

Feeyo likes this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I was so excited about QA early on because the hitching was gone. Unfortunately, it's back and worse than ever. :(

Sorthious and Jaesun like this.
  7. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

Yep, on QA there was a performance improve. I guess the network code is the problem here. Either amazon/google can not keep up with such a many requests, the host as super FPS but is using a high latency line or unity itself has problems to deal with network packets.
    If it is a graphical problem, you can simple compare offline and online mode. For me, in offline mode i can use "Good" and in online mode i have to use "Fastest". The "Lag" and network congestions are terrible in this release / at this weekend.

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I don't think the hitching has anything to do with network performance. There's something (like GC) that's blocking the rendering thread.

Sorthious and Feeyo like this.
  9. Aiyarree

Aiyarree Avatar

Well... i am not exactly burning for Ubuntu... but:
    short answer - it works. It is not cutting edge but also not a dinosaur.

Long answer - i go to areas where Internet is often a a luxurious thing.
    I have not the resources (time/data-volume) to deal with broken modules and stuff.
    Do not know if you ever worked with a satellite-connection.... or a modem thats actually beeping.

By the way - if you take away all distribution that are based on ubuntu/debian well... there is not much left.
    Last i liked was Solus - i liked it very much - but a rolling release for me is a risk i am not willing to take.
    I got my warning-shot. And respected it.

And evil is a hard word... without ubuntu linux would be... well... i know linux since 90es.
    I compiled my first kernel on Suse 4.2 i think.... well... nooo... ubuntu is definitely not evil.
    If you want someone evil who is messing with open-source... well... how about our beloved google/android/youtube/maps - friends?

Canonical is not worth thinking about the word evil.

10. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Yes I have worked with satellite connections, and also analogue modulator/demodulators. What is your point?
    If you take away the Ubuntu distro, there is loads of other distro's left. It is not all based on Debian just for your information.
    I am sure you are not aware of the inner workings of Ubuntu, and how they collect your private information and use it to inject ads based on your distro usage into your desktop.
    Without Ubuntu, Linux would be probably better. Rolling release distro's are fine. As long as you stay up to date. If you start slacking behind with the updates you can get problems.

If you want to have a stable desktop use one of the older distro's. OpenSuSE, Fedora, Debian. They are the guys that will not break your system.
    If you really want to have full control of your Distro use Gentoo. But it takes a bit more work to understand and work with.

Yes and that is why I do not use google/gmail/android/youtube/maps. I have other open source variants of these that are pretty awesome.

11. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Performance improvements have been on the release notes every release.
    Honestly though, my loadscreens take just as long as they ever did, and now opening a box, even a box without much in it, is taking a good 10 seconds of waiting for it to register.
    Opening my bank? I might as well go make a coffee.

A lot of the load screen frustration could be easily solved by reducing the number of unnecessary load screens players must endure -ie via 'ignore road encounter' and 'bypass siege' options for players who have no intent on clearing either, are in zero danger from either, but its just two tedious wait screens anytime they go some place. That would be a help. Same thing would be a toggle as discussed elsewhere to set yourself on open/multiplayer mode when entering a town scene, to prevent all the tedious 20 second wait, loadscreen when going to town and then 20 second wait, loadscreen when going back to private or party mode to go fight.

I'm not sure when boxes and vendors started taking forever, its been a few releases now, but this last release they are taking record time. I have a box on my front porch for 'dropping off' loot to be sorted later, and I have to stand there a longggg time waiting for it to even register that I've clicked it.

Even crafting is taking longer. I used to craft 20 items in 2.5 minutes flat. Its taking closer to 3 minutes now, and this mostly appears to be delay between actions when it 'pulls' the items onto the table (and they flash red for a moment). I can save more time off my crafting batches by crafting in a dark basement han I save from the 'refining speed' passive, which is hilariously sad. Even looting seems to be taking longer, between clicking monster and loot window opening.

We've also now got this weird, frame by frame stuttering from players/mobs moving who aren't close to you.
    Fields of crops look at one stage when you approach but when you get close, slowly render to reflect reality.
    Even decorating - I took 3 steps back from something I was working on and half the items disappeared. Causing panic, until I stepped in close enough, and there they were again.

Which would all be fine but...the hitching isn't fixed!

Don't get me wrong, in terms of stability? The game's come a long way. I can stay online for 15 hours and it doesn't crash. Network congestion sometimes sure, but crash, no. That's phenomenal.
    I absolutely do not understand the technical nature of what is being done or tried here and I am confident that the devs are doing their best. From an end-user perspective though, it is, I'm afraid, more frustrating than ever.

I'm in the unique position of having 3 different computers that can run Sota with wildly different specs, and this is evident on all of them, so I don't think its down to one particular bit of hardware or driver issue or etc.

Sorthious and Feeyo like this.
  12. Aiyarree

Aiyarree Avatar

My point is: The named connections are not suitable to deliver much data. One (1) Megabyte (MB) is sometimes very much on my scale.

I see you try to convince me away from ubuntu. Thats ok. I will not catch this ball.
    I will install what i think works best for me. Suse could indeed be worth a try. Perhaps next time.
    But better try to sink your teeth into some of this M$-Belivers.
    They have so much trouble with their update-stuff - i am sure they are easy pray for you.
    There are not enough linux-users out there that we can afford to fight each other.

And no - i am not aware ”how they collect my private information and use it to...”
    Please give me something practical i can follow. Every hint i got in this direction was like talking to a flat-earther so far.

And if you could give me a better idea what your alternatives to the google-stuff are... well that would be rely great.
    Yes i have alternatives too. But i fear i can not call them awesome. They get the job done. Tight.

Greetings :)

Feeyo likes this.
  13. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

Lowering the resolution does not necessarily give you more frames per second, anyway.

My feeling on the issue is that that both bandwidth, or latency, and, major inefficiencies in the design of the Unity Engine, are competing with each other to give the worst experience they can each provide, separately bad enough, but, biggererest together.

14. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Ubuntu: https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/01/ubuntu-online-search-feature-disabled-16-04 (Ok they disabled it since 16.04, but still once a cheater always a cheater...) ;)
    G search engine replacement: searx.me
    Tube replacement: DTube or for android NewPipe
    Android replacement: https://lineage.microg.org/ (with fdroid)
    Gmail replacment: Protonmail (or as me own mail server)
    Whatsapp replacement: Signal
    maps replacement: OpenStreetMap
    navigation replacement: Waze
    Contacts and calender replacement: DavDroid + own Radicale server.
    DNS: own dnscrypt-proxy
    And I can list you so many more options. But this is offtopic, if you need more info PM me.

15. Aiyarree

Aiyarree Avatar

Whow... jea... i gave up on android entirely. Trying to un-google an android is like... well. Have fun. Gave up a few month ago.
    DavDroid... perfect example. No more android workarounds for workarounds for me. Give me brain-freezes to stack apps on apps on apps on a mutated-java-interpreter on steroids.

I am happy with my new iPhone and have hopes for the Librem 5.
    Perhaps not for the first iteration... but well... somebody has to finance the initial shot, eh?

DTube and NewPipe are indeed new to me. I will try them.

The others i know... well... i would not call them exactly awesome.
    Signal is an OK-Single-Klick-DAU-Solution. I use it as a backup and to not loose the ”not-techy-friends”. I personally prefer Riot/Matrix.

Feeyo likes this.
  16. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I also pre-ordered the Librem 5 :) I first was on Tizen Z1, Z3, Z4, but apps were almost nothing and a bit too buggy for me.
    Riot/Matrix is not my favorite. All files you share are stored (decentralized) on multiple user devices. Not secure enough for me. And the encryption method is a pain to explain to none tech users.

Lets go back ontopic btw.

Barugon likes this.
  17. Aiyarree

Aiyarree Avatar

Well - i think this file is closed anyway :)

- switch off the light -

18. g04tn4d0

g04tn4d0 Avatar

Pensacola, Florida, Earth, Dimension C-137
    Out of curiosity, have you tried disabling Hyperthreading in your BIOS to see if that has any impact on the hitching? Not looking for a slight difference... looking for an obvious improvement from this.

19. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

my i5-4430 doesn't have hyperthreading. i hitch quite as much as everyone else complaining here, since R54. it was never a problem before that release.

Elwyn, Feeyo, Jaesun and 1 other person like this.
  20. g04tn4d0

g04tn4d0 Avatar

Pensacola, Florida, Earth, Dimension C-137
    That sucks! There's only a few things I have discovered that can cause or contribute to significant hitching issues... hyperthreading, AMD processeors, AMD video cards, and a hard drive based system with background processes reading/writing. Beyond that, maybe a video effect like shadows which are known to screw stuff up in some Linux games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.