UT R.I.P. player run dungeons

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Feb 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

(from a exp perspective not loot drops)

With upper Tears 16-25 min attenuations depending on group power and size how will player dungeons even stand a chance?

The UT norm is play for 20 mins and afk for 40 to maximize xp as easy as possibly. What’s the solution to get people to actually play in player owned dungeon from a experience perspective? In a player made dungeon you will not have mobs spawning and rushing to you, you will actually have to move and clear content. I wonder if they will have a higher cap, with the scaling rooms maybe we will get more xp per hour and be able to utilize a full hour playing. Upper tears is already the only dungeon people are grouping for something needs to be done or player made dungeons won’t have the pull they need to be great.

Thoughts on the subject?

2. oplek

oplek Avatar

The only part of dungeons that could stand out, I think, is the potential player quests, and ability to tell a story.... if they don't stop at 80%. (Maybe when they redo the overall quest system, they can establish a toolbox for player quests that include setting up cinematics, etc). They're otherwise redundant with both adventure zones (inferior) and basements (superior).

Maybe someone could set up bank access/crafting stations to turn the basement into a personal item mill, but I think they'll put a stop to that quickly.

... so yeah... I dunno.

3. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

My thoughts

1) XP is not everything, to me UT is boring. I have only attenuated maybe 20ish times EVER.
    2) Depending on the room "levelling" it could be even quicker, why would a player make you have the low level mobs at the beginning of the UT spawn.
    3) Will never get people that want to just grind XP away from the easiest place to grind XP, so why even try. They have all the content they want/need in UT, player made dungeons are not aimed at these people.

Regards
    Spung

4. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yea all this might be true enough, but there is a problem. It this weekend had 7 groups running non stop(not saying that’s a bad thing). The other dungeons/control points had 0. I’m really hoping player made dungeons can pull people outta UT but if nothing changes then I think nothing will change. :)

Mhtic likes this.
  5. oplek

oplek Avatar

I still say that we should be able to use these all these comsetic pets as dungeon props or fightable monsters.

K1000 likes this.
  6. golruul

golruul Avatar

Player dungeons won't have a chance of competing if you're comparing to a group doing UT.

What is a more interesting question is if you're solo, which is better?

7. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Good point, people can attenuate solo in ut in 3 waves with out needing to move much. We need good challenging group content that friends can spend an hour or two playing imop.

Boris Mondragon and Dhanas like this.
  8. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I have been wondering about east reach gap CP. I know long ago they amped the liches up with really high stats for the final waves, and im kinda curious if it is still like that, that might be a challenge for a really high level full group. Has anyone tried it recently?

9. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

really what is saddest is that the game has devolved into nothing but "what can compete with UT".

Honestly RG needs to cone out in one of the Telethons and explain what he thinks the game means now and what he think the future will be.

If all it is, is trying to appease players from the prospective of how "fast" one can attenuate, might as well just admit that Crafting worlds, skills, . . . are done.

What was the statement made long ago "we are not going to spend any more money on . . . . . "

Control points had a nice design and potential and now they are not required and they are completely ignored.

Regions was a great idea with great potential, lost.

All we have left is decorating ones house and master EVERY skill?

Dungeons should never be something that a player can "design" to reach attenuation, they should be for creativity for events, exploration, discovery,. . . . .

All this stuffing critters into one space for the grinders is really sad. There was soooo much more the game could have been.

majoria70, StarLord, Astirian and 7 others like this.
  10. Doctorface

Doctorface Avatar

Drop a meteor on upper tears.

Elwyn, Hazard, Steevodeevo and 2 others like this.
  11. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Damn, we agree on something...

Bow Vale and Nevyn Waldail like this.
  12. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

me too, if UT is the pinnacle of your adventuring and time sink then imo your sights have been set very low.

Jason_M and Elwyn like this.
  13. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

My! Aren’t we cheery today!

14. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yes!! It is Friday

15. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

\o/

16. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

17. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

UT helps to advance your Avatar. Other areas make you a better player. The latter is, well, more important. #WatchOutForPigs

18. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

The “end game” content isn’t very group friendly and I think is what I’m missing most of all. I’d love to look in lfg and see people forming groups for (end game content however you define that, for me it’s very hard content that requires organized groups and strategies possibly voice coms etc ) . With the current contend ut obviously drowns out all other lfg stuff and most the stuff is really single player for high level players, there are a cpl very minor exceptions.

I’m very hopeful player made dungeons will have the power to offer this. I deafenty heard some things I liked in the live stream today.

Would be nice to see other things in LFG Than

UT xx:35.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  19. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

There are plenty of places that take me longer to attenuate but that I go to anyway. Time isn't the only determining factor.

Sometimes I want spider queen artys, mossys, dragon heads, chance of PVP, etc. so I head elsewhere. I think this is what player made dungeons will have to compete with imo.

20. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Making a dungeon takes a significant amount of time and investment, not only for the crafting of the rooms, farming of the granite, cost to upgrade the limit, and so on.
    Crafting and levelling the spawners is going to be an even further investment.

If it is not possible to make these scenes worth a player's time, then they will just be a novelty or something you go to see the creativity/story someone made and probably never go back.
    I hope that we get the tools to create dungeons that people would actually want to visit and kill in, again and again - creating unique mixes of creatures that are appealing places to hunt/farm creating viable alternatives to the UT & other few scenes that people frequent.

Its a slippery slope, because if given the tools players will try to make extremely optimised things...imagine a dungeon full of dragon after dragon after dragon to kill/skin with no respawn timer. Or 100 troll rooms one after the other. But on the other hand, if its go in and kill a few tier 10 liches for tier 5 loot/xp, and then oh look here's another room with the same thing in it, then there's no real reason for a repeat visit.

I'd love to see players be able to build dungeon/adventuring scenes that would be, despite the lower comparative rewards, lucrative enough to go visit and have replay value. I'm afraid that its going to be a case of "go play your friends dungeon to check it out" but you'd never go there again once you went and gave feedback, and certainly wouldn't consider player dungeons as a "xp spot." Item farming spot? Maybe. I guess we'll see, and maybe I'm wrong, but with the already stated imposed limits (not to mention the significant cost to even build these things) the question becomes, why am I building this? To fill an RP/story/creativity niche but...beyond that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.