(NecroThread)Archery "adjustments"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Jul 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Not only your stats and weapons, but your armor too, like hard leather, bronze and constatine add weapon damage, and then there is fortified boots do more then augmented and so on, many many factors to this.

OzzyOsbourne and Mishikal like this.
  2. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

And that as well, then using fireflies as well, just more and more variables. you need to set all the variables to get proper tests, thats why science uses control groups.

OzzyOsbourne and Mishikal like this.
  3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Science is always tryin' to control us, maaaan. Fight the power!

Jaesun and Mac2 like this.
  4. Jackrabbit

Jackrabbit Avatar

Correct, there are soooo many factors to consider, that's why I said it's not an apples to apples comparison.

Keep in mind, Archers are primarily single target attackers, where melee and mage can attack multiple targets quite effectively. (Don't mention multi-shot, it's a joke, archers are single target attackers.)

What was the dodge ability and stats of the mage? Were they using a shield, and other defensive measures? You are talking about a very niche template with very high skills that people have put a lot of time and effort into to make it effective, yet some people don't want to be bothered to take the steps needed to be effective against that template, when plenty of others have done so.

How do you do against Para? Do death mages need nerfing as well so that you can win? What about life spec, where they can heal in less than 1/3 of a second, that's just as effective to a skilled player as air shield or death shield.

What's stopping you from using death shield? or air shield? How can something not be fair when you have just as much access to it as everyone else?

The tools are there for your template, it's up to you to sharpen them and use them effectively. Air/Archer is not insta win against all comers, just the ones with the wrong tactics, lack of experience, incomplete templates, and/or bad gear and stats, but that's true of any skilled player's template against the aforementioned player.

Others seem to be able to do it and have done it.

OzzyOsbourne likes this.
  5. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

Arguing that archers shouldnt be best single target dps in a SANDBOX game just doesnt make sense to me. You want counters to archers??? holy sheet batman, PHYSICAL damage is the easiest thing to mitigate in PvP, it has the most glyphs and passives to help you.... wth do you want more?????
    Shall I list them all or shall we continue arguing about irrelevant things. You say charge shot is too powerful.... with STILL no actual viable reason other than you get ruined in pvp.... really? Charge shots changes were the best thing to happen to the game and has finally FIXED archery in my humble honest opinion. Why is it such a big deal to equip a damn shield? Archers are stuck with a 2handed weapon locking them out of the double masterwork of dual weapons, its only makes sense that archery be the way it is...

Its not op, it working as intended.

liz_the_wiz and Jackrabbit like this.
  6. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

This is actually the first comment defending archery that really has me sitting back and saying "Yeah, he has a point"

Now I've experienced my 2nd ass beating today (hey it wasnt even close to being fair, re-spec me lvl 100 vs Para and guil-dude-a-ma-jingle) but their builds were so surprisingly fun to look at, and Fzol's earth magic too, I saw 3 different PvP classes going at it and it was a beautiful scene. I think each class still has their ups and downs, and for sure an archer has it's down being once your on him he can't do much, in a 1v1 environment he might kick ass but bring a group PvP environment and he will be ok until someone targets him.

But nonetheless, 1k crits are no fun, no matter the class!

OzzyOsbourne likes this.
  7. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

I can crit 2300 and im spec tactics and taming.

edit: I should clarify, with everything in my favor (berserker, flanking, fireflies,etc, I can crit 2300 from behind with two +%skewer spears, and not archery.

Jackrabbit and Mishikal like this.
  8. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

It pops off 1000+ hits, takes a second to charge and uses no focus, requires no glyphs to skill up. OP against everything... player and mob alike.

Regardless, it's ultimately up to the devs to decide. Despite you saying there is nothing wrong or broken with the zero focus 1000+ crits from 40m every second, we'll see if they end up nerfing it as well as air shields 0.1 transfer rate or death shield's... well everything. If so then they must have agreed they were unintendedly OP ;). Ooooohhhh the anticipation is killing me!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    Mac2 likes this.
  9. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

It's true. The effect is significant enough that it only takes a couple of minutes to verify. Just let a timber wolf or bandit or something swing at you for a bit with your death shield on, then remove shield and watch it's damage range immediately shift up.

Barugon, Jaesun and Mac2 like this.
  10. Jackrabbit

Jackrabbit Avatar

That's not an accurate representation. While it certainly is possible to crit for over 1000, you make it sound like every hit is 1000+ at will, which is NO WHERE CLOSE to accurate. Show me a video of 20 shots and see if even 3 of them crit for more than 800.

OzzyOsbourne and Spinok like this.
  11. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

That is your opinion.
    You can do more damage in a crowd of mobs doing the same thing with a 2 handed weapon, with 0 focus as you say... its just not efficient as a melee since we have BETTER skills, if anything fixed the ranged tree instead of nerfing it. I still dont understand why you think its OP? Are you jealous of the tiny little boost ranged weapons get from charge attacks? Why? They are single target DPS KINGS, thats what they are meant to be. Maybe they should just add the charge bonus to 2handed weapons and be done lol

As melee, without even the polearm spec, can do this, (which is even more efficient for me), with no fireflies...:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Archer charge shot is fine and only OP if you dont know how to defend against physical damage. In PvE, it is exactly what it SHOULD be, single target dps KING. Nerfing the charge shot bonus would derank them.

Mishikal, Xkillerz and Spinok like this.
  12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You can use free attack with melee weapons too.

Jaesun, liz_the_wiz and Mishikal like this.
  13. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

that was what i was saying, but archery gets a slightly bigger bonus, I was referring to the extra that archery has

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I definitely don't believe this.

Chatele likes this.
  15. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

@Chris used to post a lot of these formulae, be interesting if anyone could track it down.

16. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Why not just make aimed shot, piercing shot, etc. better? That way the same damage can be done but instead of popping off 0 focus attacks every second with no end focus and amount of glyphs can actually keep it check as intended? A zero focus 1 second charge attack shouldn't be the best archery "skill" as what is the point of actually having glyphs in the tree if using them just means you do less damage. Explaining to a new player "you're doing or wrong dummy... don't use any glyphs, just click hold release" seems odd.

Seems actual glyphs and focus use is a bit more in line with Chris' main design goal of leveling up actual glyphs in a tree to make them better instead of having them all at 0, having a focus pool that is used throughout combat via using said glyphs and that each glyph has benefits to using it i.e. aimed shot for big damage.

Is it your opinion that all archers shouldn't use glyphs and all should just charge shot? When would an archer be better served with aimed shot or rapid fire instead of just charging for more damage? Should anyone level any of these skills or like Vesper's picture of a streamer with 0 combat glyphs on their deck be the norm for all archers? All I've heard from you are variations of "keep it as is because archers doing great single target damage is the goal". My point is that there are plenty of other ways to accomplish this without relying on an infinite energy second 0 focus 1000+ crit charge attack while using no glyphs or focus.

If aimed shot needs buffed... say that. If piercing shot sucks... say that. If focus use on these skills is too high... say that. Let's not just forget that exist and never level and use them.

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Aimed Shot used to be a lot better and then they nerfed it into oblivion. Now Aimed Shot doesn't do any more damage than a charged free attack. I always thought that aimed shot should have a higher critical chance.

18. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Better PS really ? Stacked can already inflict 1k+ with full armor mitigation, not sure it should be better. PS is the only chance(small) to make a final blow into deathmage. I dont know what archer dont use PS in PVP but he definatly makes smth wrong.
    And glyphs make HIGHER dps then only charged in usuall situation. Did you see chaotic archer ? it makes higher dps then only charged shots in PVP.
    For sure good archer use both glyphs and charged hits.

What I really saw that archer cant do almost nothing to death/life mage on high level. Even very high level archer. Like 20% to win. Did you saw Jini or Antrax or Para fights, almost zero chance to pierce them by archery, instead of this they kill archer very fast.
    Archer is strong ? Yes very. Does it have an counter - sure. Come on it is not so imbalanced as you think.

P.S. Boost swords and 2handed melee weapons is far better solution for balance then nerfing archer.

Jackrabbit, OzzyOsbourne and Barugon like this.
  19. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

play a death mage...
    and yes, archers should be played with charged shots
    just like fire mages should play with ring of fire
    and life mages should use healing blast
    and death mages should completly not care about focus
    and polearms should focus on puncture
    and blungeons should focus on break weapon
    etc etc....

and obviously, you WEAVE a 5x card stacked aimed shot or rapid fire in between shots

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  20. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

;)
    [​IMG]

Arya Stoneheart and Mac2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.