(NecroThread)Archery "adjustments"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Jul 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fenrus MacRath

Fenrus MacRath Avatar

I admire your optimism, but my limited experience in PVP and extensive experience in PVE is that the game will NEVER balance the two sides of itself. The truth also is at least 80% of the players in this game have ZERO interest in PVP of any sort and lowering the PVE skill sets to accommodate the PVP elite is really an unsound decision I hope the Devs stop entertaining. Even if the programmers could find a decent balance in format, the player base here is too damn smart. We would probe and probe until we found an edge and the exploit it to our individual benefits, unbalancing the game and fathering another round of "I cant beat this class" cries and the politics of Nerfing would begin again. I would love to PVP more and really enjoyed the WOW battle grounds back before that game was destroyed. Which leads me to my belief , that there should be a sign in battle ground system and PVP should happen in there exclusively. We could implement specific rules to balance combat within the PVP realm and it would have no effect on the majority of the players doing their PVE thing. It would probably bring a lot more PVE players into the PVP realm as well. Who knows , maybe one day we can all have PVP fishing tournaments .

2. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...e-substantial-changes-would-you-do-it.156585/

From this experiment/poll seems like that on a sample of around 200 users, more than 50% would be interested or are already interested in PVP if It get some polish/changes/rework.
    Maybe devs should consider instead to move in that direction and finally aim to a much larger playerbase.

Bow Vale, Dhanas and Fenrus MacRath like this.
  3. Fenrus MacRath

Fenrus MacRath Avatar

That was a great poll. I voted YES. I wish there was a way to poll the whole game and not just those of us who are active on the forum. I think I read somewhere Chris estimates active individual users at over 1000 currently.

Dhanas likes this.
  4. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

The general summary of what I see in this thread is:

a) If you don't use heavy armor/tactics you're crazy (I guess I'm crazy, since I wear light armor as an archer and don't use any of the stances from the tactics tree)

b) The complaints here are primarily about PvP/single target.

How about the devs make larger/greater penalties for skills in the ranged tree (and charged shot) if one is wearing heavy armor? Same goes for the different schools of magic. As well as beef up the light armor tree which is abysmal as compared to the heavy armor tree. I.e., make there be serious trade offs one has to consider in their play style.

5. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

Not exactly, if you want to get max dmg with charged hits with certain bows you need to go full str, but honestly best archers around that i know are light armor. Hagge is the best around imo, realy good in pve and pvp ( He took first place on last pvp season) and He uses full light armor.

Zen Kamudo, Mac2 and Mishikal like this.
  6. Fenrus MacRath

Fenrus MacRath Avatar

And its not like the Dev's even read this stuff anyway. We are just talking to talk. We are like old men, trying to return soup in a deli.

7. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

I'm no pvper in shroud, but have been a pvper in other games.

1 v 1 pvping a class designed for single target and starting at range without using stealth or a skill to close the gap.

Seems to me, in this situation I would expect to lose all but a few freak occasions.

To me this is why we need proper group PvP. So PvP meta moves from single character builds to party builds and compositions.

I don't believe a 8 party archer team would win as best party composition in PvP.

Regards
    Spung

Fenrus MacRath and Dhanas like this.
  8. Jackrabbit

Jackrabbit Avatar

I don't think that is a fair or accurate representation of what we are saying. We may be saying badly perhaps, but what we are saying is that there are indeed counters to any of our builds. It is just that those counters sometimes require different tactics, gear, or skills, than you are currently using.

It's quite a bit unfair to scream for a nerf when you aren't willing to put in the time and effort needed to be able to compete at that level.
    There have been several counters mentioned, specifically using torpid torment to remove air shield or death shield from any player, using different approach tactics (or sneak attack? surprise attack?), using a shield, dodge, bring a friend, etc etc. The problem is, you aren't really interested in counters that require you to do something different than you are doing now. That's not fair. If I want to be successful against a death mage, I have to switch to my death gear (if there's time), use specific tactics (staying away from him/her), and the majority of the time, nothing i do works. Death mage in itself is a pretty good counter to archers.

A constructive idea would be to talk to people who are actually successful pretty regularly against archers and see what works and emulate that. If you aren't willing to do that (just as many have to do against a high end death mage, and high end melee like Antrax), then all you are really doing is complaining that someone is better than you and you aren't willing to work to be equal.

I don't want to have to play a melee with specific skills just to best every death mage I ever encounter no matter the circumstances, but that's life, I play the class I like and I make it the best it can be for me. I don't expect it to rule every situation, but the fact that I do rule a bunch of them says a whole lot more about me and the work I put in, than it says about the system itself.

As to pvp, some of us spend every second in the game pvp flagged, and encounter fight situations expected and unexpected. You can't even hope to begin to compete in pvp until you put in the time actually doing it. No one builds their characters to a certain level and suddenly they are bad-ass in pvp. They are bad-ass in pvp because they put the time in doing it. Antrax is a perfect example of someone who was wreaking havoc while his level was in the 80's and 90's back when 100 and 110 were a big deal.

It's as if someone who plays softball twice a year at the company softball picnic is complaining because they can't compete with a pro baseball player that plays 180 games a year. The argument doesn't even make sense.

9. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Torpid torment does not remove death shield.

10. Fenrus MacRath

Fenrus MacRath Avatar

Bedawyn and Mishikal like this.
  11. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Nope. Just an archers ability to pop off 1000+ hits every second while using no focus.

Well, that and death shield and probably also the fact that air shield transfer rate can get to 0.1. Know of a player who can go afk against a dragon and never be put into combat or run out of focus. We have people defending this, too?

Mac2 likes this.
  12. Fenrus MacRath

Fenrus MacRath Avatar

I am curious, I think in PVE when you take a crit from a mob there is a timer that goes off before you can take another crit. Is that in effect in PVP too?

13. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Nope but not a bad idea. And I'm not sure there is a timer - I mentioned the Blind --> charge attack OPness earlier and I'm not exaggerating when I say they can crit 70+% if they have high enough Dex and blind. I've seen mages melt and lose count at the consecutive crits.

14. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I have never seen this effect you speak of. I have been crit twice in a row, I have also crit other things over and over in a row.

liz_the_wiz likes this.
  15. Fenrus MacRath

Fenrus MacRath Avatar

I will have to check it again more closely, but I get a little timer that pops up when I take a big hit from a mob(in PVE) kind of like the crowd control debuff, but different. I will try to mouse over it next time. Unfortunately, it shows up around the same time my screen has turned red and I am either swearing or spamming heals and heading for cover. I have also heard other players talk about a grace period between crits. I was asking because it sounds like that might be a useful feature to add to PVP. Honestly Mac, I am just bored at work and shooting the **** on the forums, I really believe in my heart that nothing we say means anything to anyone with the power to enact change.

Mac2 likes this.
  16. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I get back to back crits routinely (charged shot + whatever glyph shot is up)

17. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

the charged attack is broken, my second alt have barelly advl 100 and air/tactics specs. I can deal 300/600 damage with a single fake charged attack (the first bar).

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    Sara Dreygon and Mac2 like this.
  18. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

ADV level is meaningless, it has no effect on attacks. You have to describe what levels your individual passives etc are. For example, I'm ranged/light armor specialized, with 130 ranged combat, 115 eagle eye, 115 draw strength. All my stat passives are at 100 (str, dex, int), and I've never hit higher than about 675 crit with a fully charged attack. For better comparison, you'd have to include what your str & dex are, what weapon you're using, etc.

Synergy Blaize and Vaiden Luro like this.
  19. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

@Mishikal 134 ranged damage, 102 Eagle eye, 101 armor break points, 104 berserker stance using hard maple bow.. hardened leather armor...the standart.

You dont have tactics Spec the main critical damage booster ...im talking about Air/tactics builds.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    Sara Dreygon and Mac2 like this.
  20. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

OH ya ya, I am curious on this myself. You have peak my interest sir, and I am not going to try and pay attention to it, cuz admittedly, I have not looked very closely for that for a while now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.