This Term "PvP" Is Redundant and Unnecessary

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Scizyr, Feb 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I know several people that abstain from PvP. It's the human strife. One specifically, has a career in the recovery process after people get out of really traumatic situations. These type of people will never condone human on human violence, game or not.

Chess is not violence.

Silent Strider and Time Lord like this.
  2. Owain

Owain Avatar

Every time you take a piece, it's like killing a henchman. When you place the King in check, that is an attack against you directly as a player. When you are checkmated, that is the same as when I kill you in a game like SotA. Set the pieces back up again, and your King is 'ressed'.

How is Chess not violence? It is equivalent to PvP in games, but instead of using avatars and henchmen, it uses pieces to represent yourself and the members of your army in the simulated battle. Unless you consider Wizard Chess like in the Harry Potter movie, chess just has limited graphics and special effects, but it is combat just the same.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The chess piece is simply relocated to a waiting pile. Freeze tag vs dodge ball. Touch someone vs hit someone.

What matters is the act of aggression in one's mind. If someone was playing chess and gritting their teeth while smashing the removed piece on the table, many people would never play that person.

Silent Strider, NRaas and Time Lord like this.
  4. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

In my experience (note this is MY experience), if there is no reason for the PvP (i.e. - Guild War, Capture the Flag, 5v5, whatever) there is little to no RP between players. A person who kills you might say they are acting in 'character' but in fact they are not acting at all, other than pushing buttons. They seem to consider being 'red' as some sort of grand stage performance, when in fact it's just them killing people. There are exceptions, but not very many.

Folks from Sicily are called Sicilians....

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

You know your point Sir Ned, is strait to the point indeed, as a monolog is just that, yet on a stage, actions to the point would be expected in harmony with whatever was being played.... of course I didn't need to tell you that, but I do in total agree.
    "But screw your courage to the sticking place and we'll not fail" (Shakespeare).... to have ourselves some real RP !:eek:!
    Well said Ned... of course I didn't need to tell you that, but I do in total agree:D
    ~TL~:rolleyes:

Father Guido Sarducci and Ned888 like this.
  6. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

OK , so assume if someone is red (pk) which i am not, is RP his guild has sent him on a quest.........Ned888 has the "obsidian" dagger, so that reds guild master says "you must kill Ned888, and take that dagger from him to complete your initiation in the guild! The red goes out kills you and takes the dagger! the initiation is complete, or that red goes out and tries to kill Ned888, but Ned aint having it! and kills the red! The red pk has failed his mission and is killed again my the red guild for failing his test! To me that is roll play, Now if Blaquerogue comes along and kills off red before he kills off Ned, because with his connections he knows the assassination is going down, I am roll playing, and the red is also roll playing and ned had no idea what was going on! So Blaque tells ned, "there is a hit out on him because of the dagger you carry! you may want to bank that for awhile, or sell it to the red guild master for stupid money!" I will go with you to make sure your deal goes down right! and you have some protection as well, since its a hit there are probably more people trying to get you than, that one red, i can help protect you along the way and when we get there!" now i am roll playing the red is roll playing, and I've just brought Ned into the roll playing aspect of the game! :) Just saying! :) (i would do that since that is how i roll play anyhow!)

Not trying to argue but instead saying it can be roll play and can involve others as well (social part of the game) over zealous PKing is why i go out and kill off the PKr!

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Dadalama

Dadalama Avatar

If you're attacking anyone unprovoked regardless of whether or not they are controlled by lines of code or another human being, then the role you are playing in said game is that of a very terrible person.

Ned888 and Time Lord like this.
  8. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

thats where i come in! Ill get that PKr!! Or die trying! So does that make me a terrible person? It is essentially unprovoked personally! I believe that i am good in heart, for taking care of a problem for someone else, even may be virtuous!

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

+player-interaction in a virtual world (some call it pvp, others call it trade wars, stealing or any other form of competing against others or building up things together)

-griefing (while one has to accept to lose in a game, abuse of game mechanics to grief players out of the virtual world is unacceptable)

You have it, devs...

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Dadalama

Dadalama Avatar

provoke is a relative term.

Time Lord and Ned888 like this.
  11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Then you also have people like me that will come around and take care of that problem on the pkrs level (giving them a taste of their own medicine so to say! That is my play style and has always been! there are other forms of policing up an area, and i get to play my type of character as well! Standing up for someone against a bully is what i do best!

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

That is role playing for them. It's not for me, and I may not want a part of their guild initiation. See how that works? They might be role playing for their own amusement, but all anyone but them sees is a player ganking another player. Super-cool Ned888 is just a convenient victim and completely oblivious as to why he is even involved.

The scenario above assumes that all parties are 1 - eventually privy to the scenario and 2 - want to be involved in fulfilling the fantasy of one or two players who need to PK in order to get initiated into their guild or live out their wild fantasy as a savior of people who don't want to be saved.

Sounds more like you are describing an organized PvP scenario that is created by the players. If all parties aren't involved, then it's not role playing for everyone, which is my point. Ganking is not role playing.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

but it is roll playing for another, so if you go to a full pvp area that has to be expected sooner or later getting ganked for no reason according to your knowledge, but roll playing for the other two me and the red, and out of kindness i was telling you what was going on and giving you a warning! To be alert and safe! Whether or not your roll playing or not! If in open PVP that type of stuff has a good chance of happening, and if you choose against that play then you have an option to opt out of it by not playing in a full pvp area or slide bar setting to where you are not a victim. What I'm trying to say is that if you come into a pvp area or flag pvp for whatever reason, you cant expect pvp not to happen for whatever reason! If you do that then you are telling/making others play in a style they don't wish to play in! Kind of like me telling you even though you don't like pvp you have to play PVP! Thats not fair! You do have an option to opt out of it! That's the fact of the matter!

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

You probably should have said all that then. ;) See the thing is, if the players took the time to organize their scenario, and the guild got together with another guild who was willing to role play with them (and declare war) then the scenario would be fantastic for EVERYONE. That's what I'm trying to say.

Once again, what I'm hearing (whether you're saying it or not) is that I don't have a choice but to be the victim of another players fun. They might be role playing in their own little world, but screw me. I'm now the uninvolved tool for their amusement. Why not go after an NPC then? Better yet why not get one of their guild members to be the victim? It would be a challenge after all and there could still be the element of danger and suspense. Give the victim a 20 minute head start is all.

IMO (in my opinion) that is why people don't like PvP; they get stuck being the victim and they don't know why, because no one bothers to work with them to figure it out.

My ultimate point: Don't be lazy! Put some work into your scenarios and PvP will be fun for all! Be inclusive of those who want to included and leave those who don't alone. You might find that if you go on broadcast and request a 'victim' to assist you in a role playing scenario, you might get many volunteers and some might even be PvE guys who want to have some fun!

Edit: Yes, I know that they can set their level of PvP (by what little we know about the slider-thingie) but the point is, lots more might participate in an open PvP environment if it wasn't just a gankfest.

Time Lord and blaquerogue like this.
  15. Dadalama

Dadalama Avatar

Hey non combat fun thing you could do. What about being a magical metallurgist. You could do all sorts of things with magic to make new alloys. Like vaporizing metals together. Non combat and potentially fun.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I understand what your saying and respect that aspect of it, none the less ill be around if somone is on a gankfest! just Holler ill come and try to even out the odds! Im game no matter what! :)

Ned888 and Time Lord like this.
  17. Owain

Owain Avatar

You've never played tournament chess, I guess. I've seen stranger things.

18. Owain

Owain Avatar

Again, to use the analogy of a chess game, which both participants voluntarily agree to play, how is one a terrible person who plays chess?

The consent makes all the difference in the world.

blaquerogue likes this.
  19. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Lol, very well, I will give you that. But, I would imagine the people that abstain from that kind of stuff would ask them to stop or they would leave.

20. Owain

Owain Avatar

There are rules of conduct specified in the USCF (United States Chess Federation) rule book, and occasionally, valid protests are made. People are very competitive, even in something like chess, and people do push the edge of the envelope to see what they can get away with.

There are griefers even in the world of tournament chess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.