Chris the economic impact of artifacts like Vex Wand

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elrond, Jan 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Summary of what happened:

Chris: "I don't touch crafting, so I'll make gear that replaces crafting".

Xiones, Girlsname and Boris Mondragon like this.
  2. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

This is not good, this mindset will destroy the player game economy. You sure he was not joking when he said it? R/Boris

3. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

I recall once reading about persistence- please allow me to quote from -2014 - Darkstar wrote the following: “Until we "launch" i.e. guarantee persistence and completely stop doing wipes I would consider any trading of pledge item to be temporary until the next wipe. It is worth noting that while we will be going live for "24/7" we can't yet 100% guarantee persistence and we may have to wipe at least once.

Oct 2, 2014

I have played with two wands of my choosing - wands I earned by trading and accumulating items for years - since persistence. Guaranteed persistence is literally incompatible with a change precluding my avatar using two weapons I own and used since persistence. I hope @Chris does not choose to violate the fundamental trust of those players who have invested time and money to make a persistent avatar to satisfy the upset of some players. A man’s word is his bond; he can but once trade his honor to avoid commitments made, since thereafter no one would trust the word/bond of such a man thereafter. I believe @Chris to be a man of his word, and I believe he will not betray our promise of persistence to cure what some see as a power imbalance. Make monsters stronger. Make swords Valyrian steel that does silly damage. Increase magic resistance, etc. None of these would take from me what I earned and owned after promised, guaranteed persistence.

I hope to see honor and agreement still mean to @Chris what they mean to me. Everything I have seen from him thus far, especially since his assuming the helm, supports my belief he will not violate the most fundamental of guarantees made: guaranteed persistence. Search the forums the promise was made over and over. I support the game. I play the game. I love the game. But a game without fundamental persistence after it was promised, viz., guaranteed, is not a game I can support. I care to support this game, still. I hope to not learn of a fundamental change to a guarantee. A guarantee is a formal promise or assurance.

I hope to read I misunderstood the post about depriving me of playing with my wands, post guaranteed persistence. I do not even use fire magic - the Uber magic. I use the poor little air tree: which I know and love. Played it for years. Hope to continue to do so.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  4. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Dont think he said that. I think vlad is just saying he doesnt think chris cares about crafting in a roundabout way.

5. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

That was a summary, not a quote. Sorry, shouldn't have used quotes.

6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Yeah, basically. Not sure about caring or not, but he's always said that's not his department and he doesn't touch it.

Unfortunately he stepped all over it, basically smashing that entire department, while trying to fix loot with artifacts. Probably unintentional.

Either way, the high end gear crafters (not me, I stay way clear of that) are getting screwed. Maybe the Q3 major crafting overhaul will throw them a rope.

7. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I agree this is highly disappointing...

It would be nice for us melee sword types to get some love with a full set of plate, complementary to our play style...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    Numa and Boris Mondragon like this.
  8. GMDavros

GMDavros Avatar

Full plate for casters... madness. Even if that's not literal, crafting lightweight armor for casters that is equivalent to plate is just silly. Each class type needs to deal with their own + and -. Unless of course we don't care about class distinctions. Then all bets are off. Of course if that were the case why bother differentiating anything? Armor? Weapons? Spells?

Fenris

9. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Totally agreed, but that's what we get with a "classless" system...

10. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Personally as a light armor user i prefer leather over bone because i can squeeze more damage and dodge out of it.

I dunno if theres a major dex masterwork for bone butif not you can get more dex out of leather too.

Casters that wear this new platemail may find they dont have the option to have nearly as high a focus pool in a world where focus is about to become more important.

But theyll have more physical defense

Mac2, Boris Mondragon and Numa like this.
  11. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

It should be the department of someone with experience playing the game that interacts with the community. Unfortunately, that's never been the case.

Edit: Also, you misspelled peruse in your signature.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  12. Numa

Numa Avatar

From the R74 *draft* release notes that
    @Elgarion is still finalizing:

• Simultaneous Use of Identical Artifacts: Coming in with R74, expect a wide range of artifacts to no longer allow multiple simultaneous use. For instance, if your character will no longer be able to use dual wands, ankhs or even rings of the exact same variety in each hand or ring slot.

• Simultaneous Use of Related Artifacts: Also expect a variety of similar artifacts to be prohibited for simultaneous use. Examples will vary, but Rings of the Frogkin will not be allowed with Rings of the Cuttlekin, and Vexlyn Wands with Wands of Undying Embers.

13. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

Give them enough rope to hang themselves.......:rolleyes::rolleyes:

14. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

...and they'll tie us up instead.

15. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Yep you can get the same MWs for bone as you can for leather. Because the new armor is heavy and not cloth, I will get way more int from cloth then plate. That stuff would have to give some wicked spell damage or crit chance bonus for me to trade my cloth in for it.

Numa and Arkah EMPstrike like this.
  16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Yep thats what im thinkin. Its likely gonna be used by warriors who want to cast rather than mages who wanna tank

Elgarion, Mac2 and Numa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.