No Open PvP World :( Ds said it into Alpha Im MADDD.

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Abydos, Feb 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

I think it is important to remember that PvP has still not been fully fleshed out by the developers. Nothing official has been posted, nor have any great details been explained by way of the posted chat log. I will point you all here: Forum Behavior and PVP. Anything else is speculative.

RelExpo, Phredicon, Alexander and 4 others like this.
  2. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

It is the actual quote, from Garriott if you read the article and see they quoted him, both in the body of the article, and in large text in the sidebar. In addition, what successor could he have been talking about that followed UO? You have to read the entire article.

Edit: Here is his definition of "Ultimate RPG" : Here is what I feel is safe to say: Lord British’s Ultimate Role Playing Game, which may be called “Akalabeth” or may be called “New Britannia” or may be called “a name I cannot yet say as it describes the setting I am considering and think I should keep secret at least until I know if it’s likely true,” will be an Ultimate RPG. You will have customized Avatar homesteads and real roles to play in a deep, beautifully realized highly interactive virtual world. It will have virtues and the hero’s journey reflected back to the player. It will have the best of synchronous and asynchronous features in use. Fiction will support your arrival from earth into this new world. I even hope to make maps, coins and other trinkets available to players of the game.

From his own article at Portalarium. Ultimate RPG Defined
    We now know he named the game Shroud of the Avatar (notice his reference to avatars and housing, etc.)

2nd Edit: Richard Garriott's "ultimate RPG" closes with $1.9 million on Kickstarter

Ultima creator reveals Shroud of the Avatar
    Industry veteran Richard Garriott announces his "ultimate RPG" coming to PC; Kickstarter campaign asking for $1 million under way.

crachazz likes this.
  3. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

I was wrong. Kickstarter does say, specifically, that SotA is the "spiritual successor" of UO.

Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues - under the subheading: What IS Shroud of the Avatar? The very first sentence is "Shroud of the Avatar is the “spiritual successor” to Richard’s previous work in the FRP genre."

This is one of the reasons my husband & I backed the game.

apoc01, Owain, Juvez and 2 others like this.
  4. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

I am very happy with the current PvP approach. Sry for saying this, but the minority wants an open world PvP. How many PvP servers in MMOs has been setup in the last couple of years. The interest was always low till medium. It brought also a lot of pain. PvP servers has always be in the minority, this reflects the players wishes and gaming behaviours. They do not want a hardcore game and i also do not want this. Its a thing only for hardcore players. And btw. I read only about the spiritual succcessor about Ultima and not Ultima Online. For me, there is a difference. Finally, PvP is for me the last thing i am interested in. My focus is the RPG with online elements. But i respect the fans of PvP, but this means also to tolerate those who don't like PvP.

NirAntae likes this.
  5. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

I'm just curious where you guys always get your numbers, the minority here and there blah blah. No matter which side.

But personally, I'm pretty sure there are many who like an open pvp setting. So why not make it a slider setting? I still dont get it, all the permissions are in place already code-wise.
    So make a slider setting for those wo really want open pvp everywhere.

apoc01, Juvez and NRaas like this.
  6. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

Adding a quick transcript of just the words of DarkStarr for those that don't care to try and read all of those screens...I think this lays a good foundation, many details to follow but it seems to strike a balance with all types of players.

skinned and Wsye like this.
  7. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

Well, yeah I kind of see now why people are disappointed tbh.

PVP zones, and areas, is a lot like WOW (and not the cheering WOW but the game-abomination called that)

Most of the world safe, PVE, nothing to fear... etc.

Arenas are generally boring, pvp zones suck when in most of the other parts of the world you "magically" can not attack someone else.
    Why not make two worlds then, seriously, Trammel & Fel was better than these zones and arenas.

apoc01 and Ferrus like this.
  8. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

Well this is the experience of over 15 years of playing MMOs. I played a lot of MMOs with their different kind of PvP/RvR settings and servers. PvP servers were always in the minority. That is really nothing new....but again this does not mean i don't like PvP, but not always on and not an open world PvP. I liked the RvR setting of DaoC (not the RvR hardcore server..the standard setting)

NirAntae likes this.
  9. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

What i see is that they are doing all they can to find a happy medium between the 2 groups. It seems you are in favor of nothing less then full loot open pvp. I would suspect that if that is the case, you may not enjoy this game at all.

10. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

Let's hope you're wrong.

11. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Is this the entire quote you are referring to, or was there another one I missed on that page:

"Shroud of the Avatar is the “spiritual successor” to Richard’s previous work in the FRP genre. Our primary objectives are to tell a story even more compelling than Ultimas IV-VII, create a virtual world more interactive than Ultima VII, develop deep rich multi-player capabilities beyond combat akin to Ultima Online, and offer a bold new approach to integrate them with “Selective Multi-Player”."

Edit: Just realized that it is the quote you are referring to. When Richard said 'previous work in the FRP genre' he wasn't specifically referring to UO, but all of this his single player games dating back to the 80's. Personally, this is the reason why I got involved in this game, to play a game with an ultima-like storyline. I consider the online aspect of it to be a bonus.

12. Artariel

Artariel Avatar

How fool I was to expect a mmo that is not wow clone, only difference is that sota is mmo-ish, not mmo. Anyway, I am very disappointed but there is nothing to do unfortunately. I wish I could sell my pledge.

apoc01 likes this.
  13. Espada

Espada Avatar

Guys,
    Stop assuming things... Remember that this game will be based on a "selective" system.. This means that there will likely be, down the road, a feature or core mechanic that will support those who want to pvp 24/7 be able to do so as their world populates with players who opt for the same mechanic, making it an open pvp world... Be patient...

NRaas and Alexander like this.
  14. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I think the PvP zones is a great idea with guilds being able to go PvP anywhere. This old UO timer (16+ years ) lived through UO early days and saw how life was and how it progressed. Most of the pro-PvP will join a guild so I don't see the problem since it is clear that guilds can PvP all the time if they wish to. Attacking other guild structures sounds really cool. darkstarr and the devs found a balance.

15. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I am mostly a PvE player but I am still not happy about this.

Time Lord, apoc01 and docdoom77 like this.
  16. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

This is silly. Pvp and pve should be allowed to go everywhere, no limitations. They just shouldn't be allowed to harm each other without consent.

17. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

Current polls say that the majority wants non consentual PvP and full loot.

18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I love how everything that is not pre Tram UO is a WoW clone. </sarc>

19. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

Doesn't matter, it won't be implemented. This kind of decision can't be taken by a poll because huge swathes of people will leave the game. Non consentual pvp won't happen in sota I can pretty much guarantee it. Its not like 90% of people feel one way or the other, and most non pvpers aren't even interested in taking the poll since its just an informal poll mostly directed at pvp playstyle people. Finally, not everyone comes on the boards so they won't vote either.

Non consensual pvp is a dead issue. Move on.

20. Ara

Ara Avatar

Dont want any of them, UO of today is WoW and SotA PvP will be just another WoW game with no loot and no open PvP. No risk vs reward and no consequences.
    No hardcore PvP guilds like mine will enter SotA, that's for sure.
    I dont enter crappy PvP games.

apoc01 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.