Return of Ransom

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Revenant, Aug 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

PVPers do for sure spend the most on gear that is for sure. I have seen players spend up to a million+ for 1 more point in a stat... them min / maxers are nuts hehe.

Johnwick, Adam Crow and Violet Ronso like this.
  2. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

Estroma showed me a chest piece that was quite expensive to make. Why? Because he said out of many many chest pieces, he finally got a good one.

I view the end game being PVP. To be good at PVP, you need the best equipment, the best skills, and know the game really well to know which combinations to use.

So I get the frustration of having no consequence to those who take advantage of it in PVP zones. They are reaping the benefit without having to work for it.

Johnwick and Adam Crow like this.
  3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

What would happen to the people afk fishing or gathering stuff that upon death in that scene they received a very nasty and substantial death penalty… say -200% xp gain and 100% encumbrance. Additional death would stack this effect.

FBohler likes this.
  4. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Unless it made them unable to fish, I don't think it would help that issue. And how would you determine who is afk or not?

5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

By trying to examine the actual root cause as to why people are doing the exploiting in pvp areas is currently because: more xp from fishing, the monthly fishing event for pvp scenes and gathering resources.

Implement death penalties that hinder that. A person who can no longer gain any xp and cannot carry any more items would then eliminate that. Now their ability to exploit this is removed with an actual threat of death.

FBohler likes this.
  6. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

Suggestion: Just eliminate Catnip PVP fishing and limit them to RHEC contests. Asmodi posts the contest results. The person who caught the largest fish for the month gets the Catnip rewards.

7. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

Because we all know you cannot go afk and bot fish during RHEC contests.

jrs99 likes this.
  8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

The following references to cannibalism, but this idea came from the secret meetings held with our early developers. It's an idea which can be adapted to a non-cannibalistic PvP...

"Ransom" hasn't cause any surge in PvP interests, it's been very tried, very tested and found very wanting and lack luster attracting no one, certainly not hoards of PvP players flocking into sota.

It's time to time travel and possibly find what we're looking for... so....

OK :D I gota' reference our first Cannibal Thread here :D All 34 fun filled pages of it :p
    Please excuse me though... o_O
    "Because that was back in my orange days before I had pity for our Portalaium Readers" :(
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ating-our-friends-rg-talked-about-this.10643/

~We All Band Together Back Then~
    Or I should say "we all got banned together" ;)
    [​IMG]
    What a great battle it was to gained something from it..
    I still say it ain't over till the fat lady get's eaten!
    Man is too much lookin for the cookin :D
    @crossbowsoda Nailed it!

We held secret meetings with Lord British where each of us took a bite off DarkStars's toenails o_O
    [​IMG]

A disclaimer before I begin, it was Darkstarr that prevailed in not including the level of cannibalism we were asking for and Lord British sided mostly with the cannibals.
    and the following is one of the ideas that sprang from within that secret meeting encounter with Lord British (aka Richard the Garriott) presiding:

(The condenced and adapted for current PvP version of "King Cannibal")

• Supose there's PvP exclusive skills, which can only be used and gained from PvP with other players, no matter how they choose to gain or spar-up such skills, but that those skills could not be used to PvE.
    • Supose those PvP skills would fade, the longer in real world time on or off game that they were not used.
    With the ubove simple and easy to develop game mechanics, this causes one to rise and others to gather both in support of the king and also rise to oppose the king (aka the top skilled PvPer). If they don't play, their PvP skills fade away, if they PvP allot, then their PvP skills continue to climb "but get tougher to gain and more quickly to fade away if they do not continue on their murderous rampage.

Such a system encourages engagement, while sustaining nothing of permanence. The king will eventually die, and when they die, all those skills die along with them. But that same mechanic does not effect all other PvP players, they retain their skills until they rise to be King (aka the top active PvPer).

In order for this system to work, the skills which are exclusive to PvP engagement must be extremely powerful, so as to have the ability to overcome what normal non-PvP players could achieve in damage dealt.

This causes the PvE player, to make very sure they tiptoe through PvP areas, or get a band of players together which could defend against or take on the extremely powerful PvP flagged player/s.

This is how evil can rise in a game which has no real evils and few ways that anything evil can arise in.

[​IMG]
    When the people of the world all know beauty as beauty, there arises the recognition of ugliness. When they all know the good as good, there arises the recognition of evil.
    Tao~Te~Ching

~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

PS: The original idea was for the King cannibal to be forced to eat more and more players in order to keep their god like PvP powers.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  9. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

So my solution is simple, change pvp ransom system completely. take the equipment out of the system and replace it with a static rate of gold per kill from a player. this than ensures always a reward and can scale based on your AL level up to a cap. this also makes it possible to know going into battle what the cost will be thus allowing a person to play as long as they have gold. if gold reaches zero the flag automatically drops taking them out of the pvp game. just a thought.

Adam Crow, Violet Ronso and Anpu like this.
  10. deltalok

deltalok Avatar

Guys guys, the sota is a game pvp too and the pvpers want ransom, the people need stay with fear when inside in map pvp, this is normal because ever will have a pk at the map.
    After they took out the rescue system, the sota didn't have any pvp raise in my opinion.
    I wanna than the map pvp be scary and than people have fear of lost items or money.
    Anyway, I'm very much in favor of the rescue system main in map pvp.

Thx guys \o/

Anpu, jrs99 and Joe Zhudarak like this.
  11. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

You have two issues here:
    1. You don't want people bot fishing in PVP areas wthout consequence.
    A simple solution to this is eliminate game run PVP fishing and limit it to RHEC /player run PVP contests. This would prevent afk botting.

2. You want some kind of risk to PVP. Problem is, what is happening is not in line with what you want. Reinstating ransom is NOT going to improve a struggling PVP system. It's just going to cause more crickets in PVP zones.

Slang: crickets are all you hear on a silent night when there is nobody around.

12. jrs99

jrs99 Bug Hunter

I don't think making RHEC PvP Fishing the only PvP fishing contest available is a good idea.

It's a fine line here...
    - With nothing to lose you will get more people hunting/fishing in PvP zones because of the XP boost.
    - Make it too expensive to be killed and you won't get many players trying out PvP.

The reason RHEC PvP Fishing contests have been so successful is because people know they have nothing to lose by getting out there and trying.

Players are "exploiting" the bonus XP of PvP because the zones are dead and they know there's little chance of them being attacked and if they are they lose nothing.

If the zones were more populated and there was a bigger risk of being killed they might be a bit more hesitant to be AFK.

This is a tough nut to crack...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    Time Lord likes this.
  13. jrs99

jrs99 Bug Hunter

... oh and getting rid of being able to fish while stealthed would be a great start!

Time Lord likes this.
  14. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

Slang: tough nut to crack means it's a tough problem to solve.

I did say RHEC / (and) player run.. Until they come up with a solution, player run PVP fishing contests work

Time Lord likes this.
  15. jrs99

jrs99 Bug Hunter

I wasn't talking player run events. I meant i don't think it's a good idea to kill the Catnip PvP Fishing contest.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

So, this is probably going to be a controversial post...

First, I don't quite understand what the issue is here. Apparently, some of us want to PvP. Fine with me! But from this thread, I understand they want to be rewarded for it. And I keep asking myself: why? I would consider PvP-ing a hobby. Other players like to decorate as a hobby. Should they be rewarded for that? Well, I appreciate some nice decoration as well as the next person, but it would be really odd if they were charging a fee to view their latest masterpiece.
    Because a PvP-er invests a huge amount of cash in their gear? Well, decorators spend a lot of cash on their hobby too. They spend it because they want to spend it, just like PvPers.
    Because PvP-ing requires real skill? Well so does decorating.
    Is it perhaps to do with recognition? Well I think we all know who are good PvP-ers and good decorators and we applaud them for that. What more do you want?

Another thing I don't understand is what you folks want with the PvP-areas. I hear complaints that there's never anyone there to fight and now also complaints that there's too many people in PvP-areas and that those people should be punished for being there.
    This one I can perhaps making sense of. Reading between the lines, I think that the problem really is that there aren't enough people around who can put up a good fight to make PvP enjoyable.

If that is right, then the answer could be to actively teach people to PvP. Teach folks the tips and tricks. Have that weekly session. Take pride in raising your pupils to the next level. Organize contest between your team and someone else's.

Alas, I'm not volunteering to be a pupil. I'm cannon fodder by nature. And as such, I avoind PvP-areas as much as possible...

17. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

This already happens actually, and before there was even a whole event planned around it both those people are either long gone or gave up.

There are 2 big issues talked about in this thread :

1. There is a PvP aspect to the fishing contests hosted by Catnip Games, where you can win prizes up to a village lot. There are 6 categories and only one or two are PvP related, yet anyone can go in a PvP scene risk free, fish for hours without any risk. Some PvPers are upset, not that their potential prize is being taken away by someone who doesn't PvP, but that that person can do it risk free.

The second point is that before, when you would PvP, you would risk 2 items, a random object or stack in your bags, and a random equipped item from your tools or gear. This allowed the killer to get some sort of reward for their achievement, because fighting a player is like fighting a boss mob on steroids. Now, since there is no ransom, that also means there is no reward.

Now when you say a decorator has no reward, they still have the decorated location as some sort of prize, it's shown off, there even used to be decorating contests (maybe that should start happening again!) But also, people can ask you to decorate their things and pay you for it (I know I've searched for a decorator before with no success, and I've seen a few others asking, so there is demand there, so make good deco, and you can get decorator contracts). Meanwhile for PvP, apart from a number on the leaderboard, there is absolutely nothing else, and that leaderboard expires so its not even something permanent you can show off.

We could argue that, yeah, in that case, why not simply remove all loot in the game? Why are people killing dragons for artifacts? Why not simply kill them to show off you killed it? Isn't that prize enough? Not in a game, in a game, people like the rush, but the also like being rewarded, it's a simple concept really, and I don't think it's much to ask.

Adam Crow likes this.
  18. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Actually (almost) all the pvp players are very happy to teach you pvp. It’s more of a, if you express an interest in wanting to pvp, approach some of these people. Many of them would be happy to teach you.

19. jrs99

jrs99 Bug Hunter

[​IMG]

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

• Adding one thing helped PvP numbers and that's been fishing.
    • PvP drains exp pools.
    • PvP damages gear.
    • Why defend yourself when you can win while fishing?
    • The fish is the thing, the PvP is just a noid to some because fishing is the thing.
    • Catnip provides prizes for streamers, so why not prizes for player's hosting a PvP fishing tourny?
    • To PvP or not to PvP does not sell our game or sell anything that supports our game <---<<< (this should be changed).
    • Deco drives development $.
    • We have a contest that supports deco and that's through our photo contests, which is art, yet also deco.
    • PvP tourny can be said to be keeping some PvP players content, but it's not attracting large numbers to our game.
    • Some say they want risk in PvP, yet they want no risk through skill loss, and PvP exclusive skills are far out of the question.
    These should come together.
    Or this should be the goal and the measure.
    Death count should effect take away from fish size at the finish line.

PvP issues sound like they are make or break issues of our game, but they're not, unless PvP issues take on resposibility to help fund our game through their design.
    In it's current condition and game design, I see our PvP as nothing more than something that needs constant development attention while putting nothing back into the game which reqires rewarding. It's a big sucking hole of development funds, unless it changes it's ways.

~TL~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.